Quantcast

Obama in his own words

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You can always tell election time when stuff like this starts popping up in your email box regularly. Looks like the e-jihad has begun...

From Dreams of My Father: "I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

From Dreams of My Father: "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

From Dreams of My Father: "There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white."

From Dreams of My Father: "It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

From Dreams of My Father: "I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela."

From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No chance that those are quote mined is there?

A quick google appears to show that the last one actually is as follows:

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

He's against internment camps for Muslims. What an unpatriotic American.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This thread makes me wish Damn True where still around, he may have shared (expletive deleted) views on many issues but at least he was intelligent and made a genuine effort to pose arguments in his own worlds. He even made an attempt to understand opposing views...

(expletive deleted) is a mental midget employing persuasive tactics most commonly found on the schoolyard playground.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i heard he hates whitey too
Here we go.

McCain actually said he is going to run a clean campaign.

Not the rest of the right wing nut bags out there though. Now that Hillary is out of the way they can really sink their teeth into Obama and twist everything around.

Sh1t is gonna get ugly.

If Obama does get elected, I say he is assassinated within the first year. (after having his character assassinated)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW n8 -

Obama is intelligent and many people in this country have respect for him. Jealous?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Here we go.

McCain actually said he is going to run a clean campaign.

Not the rest of the right wing nut bags out there though. Now that Hillary is out of the way they can really sink their teeth into Obama and twist everything around.

Sh1t is gonna get ugly.

If Obama does get elected, I say he is assassinated within the first year. (after having his character assassinated)
humm... i need to see what's afoot on moveon.org and the dimocratunderground.com these days...

i bet there is more feces there than anywhere else on teh intrawebs.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
To be fair to the assclown who started the thread, he did preface it with a disclaimer.

Of course, his second post in the thread reveals him to be as malignant and ignorant as we all think he is...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BTW n8 -

Obama is intelligent and many people in this country have respect for him. Jealous?
i'd say it's a toss off between obama and mccain in intelligence.. cant vote that.

i need to know what kind of SCotUS judges each would appoint.. that's pretty much my single button issue in this election.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i need to know what kind of SCotUS judges each would appoint.. that's pretty much my single button issue in this election.
mccain will probably be like gwb and elect the judges who make decisions based on jeebus and obama will elect judges who make decisions based on logical, rational thought.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
From Dreams of My Father: "I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

From Dreams of My Father: "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

From Dreams of My Father: "There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white."

From Dreams of My Father: "It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

From Dreams of My Father: "I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela."

From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
I will say there must be a sense of conflict about being both African and white. But that is not a bad thing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
mccain will probably be like gwb and elect the judges who make decisions based on jeebus and obama will elect judges who make decisions based on logical, rational thought.
by "logical, rational thought" you really mean "the extreme left looney fringe" right?

:rolleyes:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fortunately for politicians, there are plenty of people like N 8 who believe everything they read in their email.
Fixed again

H8R said:
If Obama does get elected, I say he is assassinated within the first year.
I say this is a sure thing if he puts Hillary in the VP.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
African doesn't mean black. Obama doesn't look like Greg Minaar or Andrew Neethling. I think you meant black.

And I'm partially offended by the term white.

I prefer ghost face.
His father is not African? I wasn't discussing the 5% minority group in Africa or the 99.9999% majority of mountain bikers, white people.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah but you said african as opposed to white.

You oppress me.
As lordly as I feel towards you because you are the part of the inferior white race, Obama does have a large amount of Melanin, making him more my kin than your white ass.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
- obama looks so white doing that.
- i've hated fist bumps longer than rollins has hated ann coulter

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

God damn lies, N 8.

Taken from the website, Fight The Smear.

SMEAR EMAIL

From Dreams From My Father: 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mothers race.'

FACT

Nothing close to this quote appears in Dreams from My Father

SMEAR EMAIL

'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

FACT

FULL QUOTE From Dreams From My Father:

"He offered to start me off at ten thousand dollars the first year, with a two-thousand-dollar travel allowance to buy a car; the salary would go up if things worked out. After he was gone, I took the long way home, along the East River promenade, and tried to figure out what to make of the man. He was smart, I decided. He seemed committed to his work. Still, there was something about him that made me wary. A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white--he'd said himself that that was a problem." [Page 142]

SMEAR EMAIL

'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

FACT

FULL QUOTE From Dreams From My Father:

"All my life, I had carried a single image of my father, one that I had sometimes rebelled against but had never questioned, one that I had later tried to take as my own. The brilliant scholar, the generous friend, the upstanding leader--my father had been all those things. All those things and more, because except for that one brief visit in Hawaii, he had never been present to foil the image, because I hadn't seen what perhaps most men see at some point in their lives: their father's body shrinking, their father's best hopes dashed, their father's face lined with grief and regret.

"Yes, I'd seen weakness in other men--Gramps and his disappointments, Lolo and his compromise. But these men had become object lessons for me, men I might love but never emulate, white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela. And if later I saw that the black men I knew--Frank or Ray or Will or Rafiq--fell short of such lofty standards; if I had learned to respect these men for the struggles they went through, recognizing them as my own--my father's voice had nevertheless remained untainted, inspiring, rebuking, granting or withholding approval. You do not work hard enough, Barry. You must help in your people's struggle. Wake up, black man!

"Now, as I sat in the glow of a single light bulb, rocking slightly on a hard-backed chair, that image had suddenly vanished. Replaced by...what? A bitter drunk? An abusive husband? A defeated, lonely bureaucrat? To think that all my life I had been wrestling with nothing more than a ghost!" [Page 220]

SMEAR EMAIL

'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

FACT

FULL QUOTE From Audacity of Hope:

"Whenever I appear before immigrant audiences, I can count on some good-natured ribbing from my staff after my speech; according to them, my remarks always follow a three-part structure: "I am your friend," "[Fill in the home country] has been a cradle of civilization," and "You embody the American dream." They're right, my message is simple, for what I've come to understand is that my mere presence before these newly minted Americans serves notice that they matter, that they are voters critical to my success and full-fledged citizens deserving of respect.

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." [Page 260-261]