Quantcast

Obama Wins!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
people are going nuts around here, but if there's a riot then i'm going to stab someone. people in this country should only riot over things that matter when something drastic needs to be changed, not when you are celebrating your favorite team winning a fvcking baseball game or some ****.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good writing from Roger Ebert:
As the mighty tide swept the land on Tuesday night, I was transfixed. As the pundits pondered red states and blue states, projections and exit polls, I was swept with emotion. Not because America was "electing its first Black president." That comes a little late in the day. It was because America was electing the right President.

Our long national nightmare is ending. America will not soon again start a war based on lies and propaganda. We will not torture. We will restore the rights of freedom of speech, freedom of privacy, and habeas corpus. We will enter at last in the struggle against environmental disaster. Our ideas will once again be more powerful than our weapons. During the last eight years, the beacon on the hill flickered out. Now the torch will shine again.

We will bring our troops home, in the right way. Am I against the war? Of course. Do I support our troops? Of course. They were sent to endanger their lives by zealots with occult objectives. More than 4,000 of them have died. Even more lives have been lost by our coalition forces than by our own.

Do I blame George Bush? At the end of the day, I don't know I really do. I agree with Oliver Stone that Bush never knew he had been misled until it was too late. I blame those who used him as their puppet. The unsmiling men standing in the shadows. On Tuesday the righteous people of America stood up and hammered them down.

Lots of people stayed up late Tuesday night. They were indifferent to McCain's concession. They couldn't get excited by an election rally featuring gthe Phoenix Boys' Choir. He was a good man once, now caught in a perfect storm of history. He had the wrong policies and the wrong campaign. At the end, let me tell you a hunch I have. In the privacy of the voting booth, I think there is a real possibility that Karl Rove and Condolezza Rice voted for Obama. Their votes might have had little to do with ideology. They could not stomach the thought of Vice President Sarah Palin. Did you watch Rice and Rove when they left their polling places? If they were smiling--really smiling, not officially smiling--you know their secret.

President Obama will not be an obsessed or fearful man. He has no grandiose ideological schemes to lure us into disaster.He won because of a factor the pundits never mentioned. He was the grown-up. He has a rational mind, a steady hand, and a first-rate intelligence. But, oh, it will be hard for him. He inherits a wrong war, a disillusioned nation, and a crumbling economy. He may have to be a Depression president.

What gives us hope is that a great idealistic movement rose up to support him. Some say more than a million volunteers. Millions more donated to his campaign. He won votes that crossed the lines of gender, age, race, ethnicity, geography and political party. He was the right man at a dangerous time. If ever a president was elected by we the people, he is that president.

America was a different place when I grew up under Truman, Eisenhower and, yes, even Nixon. On Tuesday that America remembered itself, and stood up to be counted.

This land is your land,
This land is our land,
From California, to the New York island.
From the redwood forests, to the Gulf Stream waters--
This land was made for you and me.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Contrary to popular belief, Obama is not the second coming of Christ.

He's a politician. Just like every other politician.

Last edited:

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
But it is like getting out of a car driven by Helen Keller and into one driven by Jacky Stuart.
I trust him no more than any other politician. Period.

He has no track record as a president - only time will tell if he is worth a crap in the oval office.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
All my money is going to be converted into euros and banked in Swisterland.

The real problem is the lack of checks and balances in our future goverment for the next 4 years. With every branch of government being liberal and all.

I voted McCain BTW
I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years...

:rolleyes:

Might want to be sure your addressing your envelopes with all your money to the right place though. I just registered Swisterland. Have fun with that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
But it is like getting out of a car driven by Helen Keller and into one driven by Jacky Stuart.
Who the **** is Jacky Stuart?

Goddamn Americans...

(You of course meant Jackie Stewart. Personally, I'd go with Lewis Hamilton. He's won one now, but he's still a little raw and unproven. Having said that, McCain is like David Coulthard. Old, lumpy, grumpy, and in a bad car...)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I bet it sucks to be you today...
:cheers:
Why? Do you think I voted for McCain solely because I don't trust politicians in general? How do you know I didn't vote Obama? I just think it's funny how people think that "salvation" is here.....

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Why? Do you think I voted for McCain solely because I don't trust politicians in general?
I don't give a rat's ass who you voted for, I just know you're coming off like a miserable douchebag on a happy night for many people, so it isn't too far a leap to suggest it must suck to be you.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Could be wrong, but I don't think that he's been president of the USA before. Feel free to prove me wrong.....
It wasn't the fact that the statement was wrong. It was the fact that the statement was so obtuse it gave way to much hilarity.

Clinton didn't have any presidential experience before he was elected. Neither did Roosevelt. Ya know, neither did Bush. And I guarantee...I GUARANTEE he will do better than Bush. How do I know this? Because Obama's not a former coked out frat boy that f*cked this country.

Celery would have had more of a spine and might have worked its' own angles when faced with a party stance that was wrong.