Quantcast

Obama's New Spanish Language TV Ad Es Erróneo

C

curtix

Stray-cat? You listening to this? Internet translation is funny.
Are you dense man?
Translation: an act, process, or instance of translating: as a: a rendering from one language into another ; also : the product of such a rendering
Whats funny about that. Please go troll another thread.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Silver, Ohio, Kidwoo, MMike! You hear that? Remember when our Shirley was a horrible Bush shrill? You guys have helped him out the liberal gay-bar loiterer that was lurking inside. I consider this one of the PAWN's finest hours.
I know eh? Burly has certainly softened over the years...right around the time that the "Surly" got changed to "Shirley"...Hmmmmmmmm.....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Sigh. Being liberal-leaning doesn't mean they are indoctrinating our youth, nor does it mean they are closed to debate, just as being conservative leaning doesn't mean any of those things for the remaining 25%. It just means that they are more liberal - which taken at it's true definition means they are more open to change from the status quo. Given that academia's role is to be thought leaderships and make new discoveries, one would expect them to be more forward-thinking (or "liberal") than the general population. This means that more often their thinking will be too radical for the general public, and they will be wrong more often than the general public.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Sigh. Being liberal-leaning doesn't mean they are indoctrinating our youth, nor does it mean they are closed to debate,
i beg to differ sir ohio. from my experience as the middle of the road conservative in an extreme left environment, i was often not-allowed to bring up any points for debate because my life experience as a marine and cop voided me of having a legitimate opinion in the classroom. for instance, in a course on restorative justice i was cut off when i brought up the fact that i am a cop assigned to the projects where i see, in real life, what these people are faced with. i was told that my opinion was biased and therefore void because i had brought up a side of the argument that the professor was unwilling to deal with. my arguments weren't some kind of right wing rhetoric either, just observations i have made while working amongst the very demographic we were discussing..something the professor has never done, in any capacity.
that was just one of several occurrences where the faculty's assumption that i was a right wing nutjob because of my profession and military past that i was not given any respect in classroom debates. the younger students would even bring up the fact that they wanted to hear what i had to say.
to sum up. i do feel that these professors are attempting to "indoctrinate" our youth with their world view. I learned a lot about the oppressive systems at work in this country by attending this school but i also learned that, at least where i attend, contradictory points of view and facts are not welcome. being liberal and "open-minded" is only acceptable if your mind is open in their direction.
oh well, i go back in january to finish my last 4 classes and i'm out of that quaker looney-bin forever.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
A sample size of one crazy professor and one cop = invalid. Fail.
would you like me to scan in all of the papers that have been marked down for my "opinion" or perhaps i can make everyones eyes bleed by typing all of the "several occurrences" i mentioned? will that be enough for you mr. fail or do i "fail" no matter what i type because you're a whiney cop hater?

syadasti having an objective opinion = fail

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Keep on working at your education, you really need it :D

I could reference example of my relative from Georgia.

He's a retired 30 year veteran from law enforcement and he worked undercover. He has much more experience in police work than you. His wife still works in law enforcement.

He frequently tells some good stories and tells us you often can't trust police.

That would be an outlier like yourself and the professor and wouldn't prove anything.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Let's say everything in that article is accurate and the ad is misleading... would that be wrong? Yes. But it would also be par for the course in this and every other political season. Loosely tying together quotes that may or may not be contextually accurate, misrepresenting facts, etc. Is this news to you?
I can guarantee there are articles picking apart McCain ads in exactly the same fashion. Why aren't you posting those?

I have a question for you Curtix. Do you listen to Limbaugh or Savage? Do you take their opinions seriously?

OK... Who hacked into BS's account and started posting liberal remarks?
Not that I disapprove, but this isn't the Burley I'm used to!!

:cheers:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
That would be kind of cool actually.

If you're willing to do it, I'd certainly be willing to read it.

Although I still agree with syadasti, it might make sense of some of your professor hating.
i'll see if i can dig one up that's half-way interesting.

don't get me wrong about why i "professor hate"; most of my professors were good people who did their job by encouraging critical thinking but there were enough, over 4 years, who went out of their way to keep me from influencing the traditional students to make me skeptical about the true intentions of "higher education."

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

don't get me wrong about why i "professor hate"; most of my professors were good people who did their job by encouraging critical thinking but there were enough, over 4 years, who went out of their way to keep me from influencing the traditional students to make me skeptical about the true intentions of "higher education."
Without knowing how you typically conducted yourself in class other than insisting you be allowed to bring your firearm, it's tough to be objective. That's kind of why I want to see the paper(s). It's one thing to quiet down rabble rousers :D in class but if it is something that actually affects your grades, then maybe you have reason to whine. Not that I'd disagree with syadasti either way, I just want to see what you're referring to regarding your actual grading.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Without knowing how you typically conducted yourself in class other than insisting you be allowed to bring your firearm, it's tough to be objective. That's kind of why I want to see the paper(s). It's one thing to quiet down rabble rousers :D in class but if it is something that actually affects your grades, then maybe you have reason to whine. Not that I'd disagree with syadasti either way, I just want to see what you're referring to regarding your actual grading.

You want to verify they weren't written in crayon and the E's and N's were all facing the correct direction?

It would be funny if it was written like the opening chapters of Flowers for Algernon....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

I've certainly had my share of professors that are... like you describe I guess, but I wouldn't even go so far as to suggest that it's some kind of institutional mandate, let alone as far as you've gone, saying that the entire collegiate education system in the US is somehow conspiring to mold all students into "liberals." That's some Changleen-level nonsense right there.
Fact of the matter is you've got a hell of a lot professors who grew up in the 60's, who are now educated and teaching... they're going to make their opinions known. Some are poor educators who react inappropriately to people who differ in ideology. The vast, vast majority are just not this way though.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I've certainly had my share of professors that are... like you describe I guess, but I wouldn't even go so far as to suggest that it's some kind of institutional mandate, let alone as far as you've gone, saying that the entire collegiate education system in the US is somehow conspiring to mold all students into "liberals." That's some Changleen-level nonsense right there.
Fact of the matter is you've got a hell of a lot professors who grew up in the 60's, who are now educated and teaching... they're going to make their opinions known. Some are poor educators who react inappropriately to people who differ in ideology. The vast, vast majority are just not this way though.
Waaaaiiiiiit a second.....you mean it's NOT COMPLETELY one way or COMPLETELY the other???

That's liberal hippie-talk you hippie...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Weird....quite the conspiracy....smart people are "liberal".....imagine that.
smart =/= wise
Oh imagine that. The people who are actually educated don't buy into conservative ideology. Shocking.

That's why the republicans usually win elections by the way... because the uneducated poor vote for them.
with the assumption you mean rural/redneck, let me then follow with this: why do so many urban poor vote dem? seems to me there's an enabling (and borderline negligent) attitude going on. i'm all for taking care of the little man, but not for keeping the man little.

just a thought.
Silver, Ohio, Kidwoo, MMike! You hear that? Remember when our Shirley was a horrible Bush shrill? You guys have helped him out the liberal gay-bar loiterer that was lurking inside. I consider this one of the PAWN's finest hours.
but he's still the original sh|t stirrier & strong in his roots. he just wanders from bathhouse to duckblind in search of his new groove. can't fault the man for that.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
with the assumption you mean rural/redneck, let me then follow with this: why do so many urban poor vote dem? seems to me there's an enabling (and borderline negligent) attitude going on. i'm all for taking care of the little man, but not for keeping the man little.
Yeah Im not going to disagree that some of the attitude, and 'handout' programs perpetuate a lack of initiative for upward mobility...for instance, almost nothing pisses me off more than seeing cable TV lines strung throughout section 8, because whoever pays for it shouldn't be spending money that way. There was program started here in TN recently to supply the poor with free cell phones with some amount of free minutes per month... these things are luxuries and as far as Im concerned, society should not be burdened with providing those. And like I said, I agree it rewards people for doing nothing, thereby stifling any need for initiative.
But then again I feel society should take a vested interest in motivating these people... if for no other reason than that it's probably cheaper in the longrun to just educate them and get them in the workforce than it is to simply support them.

Anyway, as far as suddenly being labeled a "liberal" here... I get called a redneck and a hippy both on a daily basis on this site and occasionally in person. I laugh at racist jokes and I donate money to environmental causes on occasion, I like guns AND mexicans... I don't feel the need to really be consistent, I just call them like I see them. Sure my stances on some things have changed over the years but that's just the way it's gone. Not like I had this liberal epiphany one day.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah Im not going to disagree that some of the attitude, and 'handout' programs perpetuate a lack of initiative for upward mobility...for instance, almost nothing pisses me off more than seeing cable TV lines strung throughout section 8, because whoever pays for it shouldn't be spending money that way. There was program started here in TN recently to supply the poor with free cell phones with some amount of free minutes per month... these things are luxuries and as far as Im concerned, society should not be burdened with providing those. And like I said, I agree it rewards people for doing nothing, thereby stifling any need for initiative.
But then again I feel society should take a vested interest in motivating these people... if for no other reason than that it's probably cheaper in the longrun to just educate them and get them in the workforce than it is to simply support them.

Anyway, as far as suddenly being labeled a "liberal" here... I get called a redneck and a hippy both on a daily basis on this site and occasionally in person. I laugh at racist jokes and I donate money to environmental causes on occasion, I like guns AND mexicans... I don't feel the need to really be consistent, I just call them like I see them. Sure my stances on some things have changed over the years but that's just the way it's gone. Not like I had this liberal epiphany one day.
your a fag

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the latest "lie" from the mccain camp:

to which the obama camp responds with
Burton said Obama only met Raines once briefly at an event, and that Raines sought an introductory meeting with Obama Senate aide Mike Strautmanis. At that meeting, Burton said no advice was sought from or given by Raines, who also had served as President Clinton?s budget director.

?This is another flat-out lie from a dishonorable campaign that is increasingly incapable of telling the truth,? Burton said. ?Frank Raines has never advised Senator Obama about anything?ever.?
however inconvenient, the washington post had this to say back in july
In the four years since he stepped down as Fannie Mae's chief executive under the shadow of a $6.3 billion accounting scandal, Franklin D. Raines has been quietly constructing a new life for himself. He has shaved eight points off his golf handicap, taken a corner office in Steve Case's D.C. conglomeration of finance, entertainment and health-care companies and more recently, taken calls from Barack Obama's presidential campaign seeking his advice on mortgage and housing policy matters.
i am curious to see if toshi's post will be updated for accuracy ("honor" be damned)

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/09/obamas_fannie_mae_connection.html

The McCain video attempts to link Obama to Franklin Raines, the former CEO of the bankrupt mortgage giant, Fannie Mae, who also happens to be African American. It then shows a photograph of an elderly white woman taxpayer who has supposedly been "stuck with the bill" as a result of the "extensive financial fraud" at Fannie Mae.

The Obama campaign last night issued a statement by Raines insisting, "I am not an advisor to Barack Obama, nor have I provided his campaign with advice on housing or economic matters." Obama spokesman Bill Burton went a little further, telling me in an e-mail that the campaign had "neither sought nor received" advice from Raines "on any matter."

So what evidence does the McCain campaign have for the supposed Obama-Raines connection? It is pretty flimsy, but it is not made up completely out of whole cloth. McCain spokesman Brian Rogers points to three items in the Washington Post in July and August. It turns out that the three items (including an editorial) all rely on the same single conversation, between Raines and a Washington Post business reporter, Anita Huslin, who wrote a profile of the discredited Fannie Mae boss that appeared on July 16. The profile reported that Raines, who retired from Fannie Mae four years ago, had "taken calls from Barack Obama's presidential campaign seeking his advice on mortgage and housing policy matters."

Since this has now become a campaign issue, I asked Huslin to provide the exact circumstances of the quote. She explained that she was chatting with Raines during the photo shoot, and asked "if he was engaged at all with the Democrats' quest for the White House. He said that he had gotten a couple of calls from the Obama campaign. I asked him about what, and he said 'oh, general housing, economy issues.' ('Not mortgage/foreclosure meltdown or Fannie-specific,' I asked, and he said 'no.')"

By Raines's own account, he took a couple of calls from someone on the Obama campaign, and they had some general discussions about economic issues. I have asked both Raines and the Obama people for more details on these calls and will let you know if I receive a reply.

The Pinocchio Test

The McCain campaign is clearly exaggerating wildly in attempting to depict Franklin Raines as a close adviser to Obama on "housing and mortgage policy." If we are to believe Raines, he did have a couple of telephone conversations with someone in the Obama campaign. But that hardly makes him an adviser to the candidate himself -- and certainly not in the way depicted in the McCain video release.
Washington Post's fact checker says the claim isn't true. Honor be damned indeed.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the fact checker didn't say it wasn't true, he said, "I have asked both Raines and the Obama people for more details on these calls and will let you know if I receive a reply.". to me, it looks like they could clear all this up & get serious mileage out of mccain being a "liar". i'm guessing raines will get back to the washpo fact-checker about the same time palin testifies in troopergate.

obama's a smart guy, so it will be curious to see if he lets this one go or puts it to rest. ball's clearly in his court.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
the fact checker didn't say it wasn't true, he said, "I have asked both Raines and the Obama people for more details on these calls and will let you know if I receive a reply.". to me, it looks like they could clear all this up & get serious mileage out of mccain being a "liar". i'm guessing raines will get back to the washpo fact-checker about the same time palin testifies in troopergate.

obama's a smart guy, so it will be curious to see if he lets this one go or puts it to rest. ball's clearly in his court.
McCain is making it out to be that Raines is a close economic adviser for Obama, which isn't looking to be true.

It is misleading and dishonest.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the evidence is rather thin, but falls well short of being a lie. however, it is especially useful in keeping w/ the theme of obama's various guilt-by-association spots (also however thin).

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
oh, expect this one to start making the rounds, with bits & pieces in mccain ads:

only a month & a half of dead horse beating, then we start the '12 election season

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
that was added back in March from a speech in July 2007, if the McCain campaign was going to use it, they would have probably already used it

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Well, ****, we know that all wealthy black people talk to each other for financial advice. Raines was also a close adviser to Oprah, Bill Cosby, and Kobe Bryant.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
another "shocking" ad depicting mccain as "more of the same"

the ad doesn't reveal it (but an AP story does), but the corning plant made "glass tubes for television sets and computer monitors."

what's to close next if mccain is in charge? walkman assembly plants?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Your link goes to a story about Biden being allowed to talk, not about the ad.

edit: here's one about it http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ba3fc702-938a-4760-af0d-9ea147e5018f

The point the ad is trying to make is still valid though
found another aggregation of the original AP article (since removed by black helo, apparently): http://www.examiner.com/a-1592469~Obama_ad_highlights_closure_of_Pa__TV_tube_plant.html

but i still don't follow how the point the ad is trying to make as being valid. especially given this:
In the commercial, a narrator blames Republican opponent John McCain for sending jobs overseas to China, including jobs at the glass plant in State College, Pennsylvania.

"Corning shuts down its plant in Pennsylvania, hundreds lose their jobs, then the workers are rehired to disassemble the plant and ship the equipment to China. Washington sold them out with the help of people like John McCain," the ad states.

However, Corning Inc. spokeswoman Kelli Hopp-Michlosky said those jobs were never sent to China. She said the plant closed because it made cathode ray tubes, and since the company no longer makes CRTs, those jobs were not needed elsewhere.

"We have been in touch with the Obama campaign on this expressing our displeasure and presenting all the facts so they see how misleading the ad appears."
is there a nuance i'm not getting?