Quantcast

Obligatory weekly shed thread for Nov. 5th

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Usual suspects,

Anybody feel like donning some hunter safety orange vests and riding this weekend? I have Saturday free but not Sunday. If UPS does me right, I'll have a new helmet that will need christening. I might even mount some antlers on it just to up the ante. On second though, Gambrills State Park might be safer and smarter bet. Thoughts?

Dave.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Fortunately for you, the type of hunter doesn't wait until he has a clear view of the target to fire tends also to be the kind of hunter with bad aim. Otherwise you wouldn't be making this post...

As for riding the shed... Why would you guys from Charlottesville want to drive all that way to ride some short-stubby little hills in MD? Go west young man towards Harrisonburg VA. There are some kick ass trails in George Washington National Forest. They might not be 'free ride' with lots of drops and jumps but you have altitude - 1000's of feet worth - to drop with fairly straight forward shuttles back to the top!

Gunther

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
I almost ran over 3 hunters last Saturday on the pipe-run.
I'm riding on Sundays I hate getting shot at.

Joe Vegas and I the founders of the pipe-run and other shuttle trails at the shed explored a sweet new section of trail that runs all the way down the Mt. with around 1600' of vert. Time to cut some switchbacks.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Sounds like maybe I should do some xc in Gambrills instead of a shed ride Saturday. Looks like the UPS man isn't going to bring me my new helmet until next Tuesday anyway.

I was under the impression that there wasn't much more than 1000 ft of drop possible at the shed. Maybe I'm wrong.

<edited to remove sensitive content>

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
The overlook is at 1900 according to my topo, and depending how far east you go into town you could, conceivably make it down to 400'. Not bad I'd say.

Really the trick seems like taking the elevation and making any good DH trail a mix of steep and tight, and fast straighter sections. I'll bring the Dingo digger and some TNT for stumps, just say the word. ;)

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
I know that I'm not exactly sure who you guys are, and I'm not saying that I think that I am in charge of the shed, but the more illegal trails, the more chance it has of being shut down.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Trail gnomes do exist in the shed somewhere i think. I might be out sunday if i can get my community service done. Definetly no riding saturday up there for me.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I don't actually ride anymore. I've quit in favor of skipping rope.

And just so we're all clear, I post in jest, I neither own nor operate a Dinger exscivator, own or know how to use TNT, nor intend to cut any illegal trails in the mythical place called the Shed.

Unless someone wants me to.

;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
onetime said:
I know that I'm not exactly sure who you guys are, and I'm not saying that I think that I am in charge of the shed, but the more illegal trails, the more chance it has of being shut down.

All absolutely hypothetical. No worries. I just stare at my maps and dream. Not that there is a map, I mean. The USGS has the whole area blacked out. Too close to Camp David or something. Yeah that's it...

Gunther

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
onetime said:
Naw, no worries, the trail is already there, a deer trail just needs
to be stacked in. I rode it last w/e and it has some nice vert, maybe not 1600' but its a lot.

I say unless you know me, you will never see this trail or most of
the 15 other trails that can be shuttled.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
RATM said:
So what's the deal with riding on Saturday's?

Maryland is an overpopulated state with limited public lands and this is deer hunting season. So what happens when you have an overpopulated state with limited public lands and it's hunting season? Well, you get woods thick with people with guns all looking for a limited number of deer. When they don't find deer, they do two things: 1. shoot at anything that moves (mountain bikers) and 2. blame other user groups for scaring off the game (mountain bikers again). Of course if there weren't so many people all wandering around in the woods with guns in the first place, the animals wouldn't be so spooked and they might have a fair chance of shooting one. But I digress. From a safety and political point of view it is best not to ride on Saturdays.

This is not a problem on Sunday's because hunters being good Christian's stay home and take a day of rest (by decree of the MD state government).

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
Gunther said:
Naw, no worries, the trail is already there, a deer trail just needs
to be stacked in. I rode it last w/e and it has some nice vert, maybe not 1600' but its a lot.

I say unless you know me, you will never see this trail or most of
the 15 other trails that can be shuttled.
Or maybe I don't know you, but I live here in the shed, ride here all the time when I'm not away racing, and have in the past delt with the City of Frederick and DNR about trail access issues. I suppose I invited this by posting my opinion, but none of us want to see this area closed, and publicising the building of illegal trails won't help. Thank God for those trail gnomes.:D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I deleted some stuff from my threads just in case they could be misconstrued to suggest that I support building illegal trails, which I don't. Others may wish to do the same...

I had a great ride Saturday. I started off at the parking lot in Gambrill State Park and rode the Yellow trail up the mountain, then connected with the Catoctin Trail and ended up at the bottom of the mountain on Hamburg Rd. Then I bummed a ride back to the top (thanks who ever you were! 2 Coilers, a Sunday and an Intense) and then continued North on the Catoctin Trail out to Delauter Rd and came back via Gambrill park road. At some point I hooked back up with the Yellow trail and headed back to the parking lot. It took about 3 hours. Those trails are brutal for XC riding.