Quantcast

OBRA race May 8th??

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Has anyone done this race before. It looks like it may be at one of two different locations due to snow levels. We are trying to figure out if it's full on DH, or like XC/DH?? Any information is appreciated...Thanks!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MUTOLI said:
Has anyone done this race before. It looks like it may be at one of two different locations due to snow levels. We are trying to figure out if it's full on DH, or like XC/DH?? Any information is appreciated...Thanks!
I have a flier.....

http://www.skibowl.com/winter/FatTireFarmFlyer2005.pdf

At the end of it there is a course description, 13+ minutes. Kevin has done it a couple times back in the day. He called it more like gravity assisted XC.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MUTOLI said:
Thanks Snacks. We kind of figured that is what it was. Hmm. Mothers day too! Didn't realize that's the same weekend.
Ya, it sucks that it's on Mother's Day :( Kevin and I are planning on going down for the race. I got permission from my mother :thumb:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Snacks said:
Ya, it sucks that it's on Mother's Day :( Kevin and I are planning on going down for the race. I got permission from my mother :thumb:
Cool. That should be fun.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm going as a spectator since my knee is dead. My husband will race though - see you guys there!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm not going either :( . The arm is still on the injured list. What really sucks is the rest of me's ready to go and getting antsy! I am going to try and make it to one of the races at Ski bowl to practice some photo and video skills though!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
DH Diva said:
I'm not going either :( . The arm is still on the injured list. What really sucks is the rest of me's ready to go and getting antsy! I am going to try and make it to one of the races at Ski bowl to practice some photo and video skills though!
Still!! That sucks. Hopefully we run into you at one of the races later in the season...that you are racing! :D

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MUTOLI said:
Still!! That sucks. Hopefully we run into you at one of the races later in the season...that you are racing! :D
We'll see. Unfortunately, the likelyhood of me being able to make a come back at this point seems to get smaller and smaller as the months go by. There hasn't been much improvement in functionality in the last two months. It's healing, it's just not getting any more usable.

The main problem is that structurally, it's shot and that's never going to get any better. My doctors explained it to me this way (and I have very supportive and understanding doctors):

My wrist and hand, even healed, are going to be so structurally unsound, that if I were walking down the street and tripped on the curb and caught my fall with my hand, there's a very good chance that I would redamage the wrist and hand badly enough that they would have to fuse all the bones together in the wrist and lower part of the hand. I would be able to bend my elbow, and wiggle most of my fingers. Anything other than that wouldn't move ever again. Now what could happen if I took another spill racing DH??

And that is the wonderful question I have to ponder now. Is it worth it? Well, see. I'm still hopeful. But we'll see.

I'm planning on trying a super d race later in the season. I'll probably have a pretty good idea from that what I'm capable of. But no DH this season for sure, it will just be too soon.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Snacks said:
.... Kevin has done it a couple times back in the day. He called it more like gravity assisted XC.
To clarify, I have never done this race.
This one guy told me his brothers dads kids brother did it and it was more gravity XC. But I have no first hand knowledge.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
trailhacker said:
To clarify, I have never done this race.
This one guy told me his brothers dads kids brother did it and it was more gravity XC. But I have no first hand knowledge.
Well, my sister's husband's dad's son in law's half cousin might be there! ;) Just kidding...

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
DH Diva said:
We'll see. Unfortunately, the likelyhood of me being able to make a come back at this point seems to get smaller and smaller as the months go by. There hasn't been much improvement in functionality in the last two months. It's healing, it's just not getting any more usable.

The main problem is that structurally, it's shot and that's never going to get any better. My doctors explained it to me this way (and I have very supportive and understanding doctors):

My wrist and hand, even healed, are going to be so structurally unsound, that if I were walking down the street and tripped on the curb and caught my fall with my hand, there's a very good chance that I would redamage the wrist and hand badly enough that they would have to fuse all the bones together in the wrist and lower part of the hand. I would be able to bend my elbow, and wiggle most of my fingers. Anything other than that wouldn't move ever again. Now what could happen if I took another spill racing DH??

And that is the wonderful question I have to ponder now. Is it worth it? Well, see. I'm still hopeful. But we'll see.

I'm planning on trying a super d race later in the season. I'll probably have a pretty good idea from that what I'm capable of. But no DH this season for sure, it will just be too soon.
I can't imagine how hard that must be to accept. I can say that if it were me, I don't think I could take the huge of a risk. I love mtn biking..but think of how much that could really effect the rest of your life. That is very unfortunate.