Quantcast

Obtainium, do they still make springs?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
just call DSP and be over with it.

its been over a year since ive had contact with that schmo at Obtanium. he hasnt replied to emails and or phone calls.....DSP has been great though :thumb::thumb:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
just call DSP and be over with it.

its been over a year since ive had contact with that schmo at Obtanium. he hasnt replied to emails and or phone calls.....DSP has been great though :thumb::thumb:

He contacted you?
I have never had the experience of communication with obtanium

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
He contacted you?
I have never had the experience of communication with obtanium
i called a year ago and apparently it rings to his cell phone. he didnt answer it like it was a business, just a simple "hello" and springs will be another "2 weeks," but he wasnt exactly sure.followed up with emails and phone calls, but nothing.

i called DSP and within 1 minute, he told me price and availability.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I emailed Obtainium a week or two ago and have yet to hear any reply = I'm not ordering from them.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Another HUGE thumbs up to Fadi over at DSP. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

been dealin with him for two years now for springs for myself, riding buddies, and customers. GREAT service, excellent availability, and spot on spring rates. Not quite as light as obtainium from what I heard, but who cares....

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
But you should know that Obtainium springs have the magic to shave a extra 5 to 6g off their actual weight,so you end up with a even ligther Obtainium spring:D

Now try that with a Nukeproof & DSP:rofl:

Last edited:

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Not sure what's going on over there, I ordered a set of their special shock bearings last July and after about 10 weeks of chasing that order with countless emails, many of which were never acknowledged, I finally got them. Definitely not a confidience building experiance. They seem to have good products but are not very adept at running a business, too bad.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
How sure are you about the nukeproof?
Nukeproof springs always seem pretty low quality and weighty to me.

Well I have a 500x3 here and its weight is 402 grams. The DSP ist to be around 500.
I have had several nukeproofs and quality was never an issue. They are always the exakt length and seem not to wear faster than others.

Does anybody know who produces ti springs for cane creek? They look like RCS which are by far the heaviest ones...

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Nukeproof springs always seem pretty low quality and weighty to me.
Since when are Ti springs called low quality:confused:,thougth they where a luxury item with a huge weight savings over a steel spring.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
ideally I need a 325 x 3.0 spring, so Obtainium was the only option, or are there others? It also needs to fit a CCDB, I may be able to get away with a 300 spring
Have you tried BOS? They only do steel springs but they do em in 25lbs/in increments from what I recall.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Since when are Ti springs called low quality:confused:,thougth they where a luxury item with a huge weight savings over a steel spring.
You get different qualitys of Titanium - The nuke proof ones seem low quality and high in weight (for a ti spring) compared to RCS or manitou etc

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Speaking of which, do Manitou or Progressive still make Ti springs? They always seemed to be lightest I thought..
No, they stopped ordering them back in 2008 for stock to sell under their brand name. I know back when I was riding for Obtainium (2008-2009), Jim was looking to supply Manitou and a few other companies with his springs, but guess it never worked out. Obtainium is a very small business owned by a much larger Spring Company that builds high end springs for the Aero Space Industry. I am sure they saw the market was not as big as they wanted and maybe looking to get out of the MTB business or putting it on the back burner. I am not really sure about that as it's been a while since I last spoke to Jim. He is a great guy and was really stoked on what he was doing. He really likes the MTB scene, but at the end of the day if the $$'s are not there you have to rethink things.

Cecil

Heckled

Chimp
Feb 1, 2006
You get different qualitys of Titanium - The nuke proof ones seem low quality and high in weight (for a ti spring) compared to RCS or manitou etc
Hey man,

Its been a long time since I was on a forum:
I think that in the past several of the Nuke Proof springs were Manitou, before they got 'Rebranded' in the back of a warehouse somewhere in the central belt... (bout the same time as Manitou were looking really ropey in the UK...) No info on current ones though..

Laters

Last edited:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Hey man,

Its been a long time since I was on a forum:
I think that in the past several of the Nuke Proof springs were Manitou, before they got 'Rebranded' in the back of a warehouse somewhere in the central belt... (bout the same time as Manitou were looking really ropey in the UK...) No info on current ones though..

Laters
The last nukeproof spring I saw had lots of coils if you know what I mean. Manitou springs had much fewer coils and as a result weighed much less.
With that said I dont think that there is an alternative to nukeproof if you have a rock shox rear shock now.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
yeah Is ent 3 emails to unobtanium weeks ago and got no reply

I had issues last time, but eventually got the spring for my BOS shock, but now I want to go up to a 225lbs

Wish someone else could do them in 25lbs increments

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I have emailed K9 Industries yesterday and today got a reply back from them,here is what they have to say.

K9 Industries is still the UK and Europe distributor for Obtainium Performance Products. Unfortunately, Obtainium springs have been out of stock since the beginning of this year and we have no further information that we can release to the public regarding production.

We currently have very little stock which usually are the least popular rates: 200, 225, 250 both in 3.0 and 3.5 stroke.
Hope this helps

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Just spoke to Jim, as i need a odd size spring, he said more springs are being made. They should be available mid January.

FYI.