Quantcast

Obtainium Performance Ti Spring Weights and Pics

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
There's some new DHX adapters to replace the old ones that's supposed to fix this. It's on the Obtanium website.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah but they aren't available until the end of the month it said. I'm not sure how much room they can buy you with the adapters unless they do some sort of offset and that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm fine with removing the cap as once the bottom out is set, I doubt you'll mess with it much.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I see the obtainium springs as $10 more than RCS for my size... where are you purchasing them cheaper?
(maybe RCS are pricey in Canada?)

thx
-r

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I see the obtainium springs as $10 more than RCS for my size... where are you purchasing them cheaper?
(maybe RCS are pricey in Canada?)

thx
-r
I think the Obtanium prices went up a bit since I bought mine.

Everything is pricey in Canada, thank god for online shopping.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Prices went up on 4/10 iirc, he had a warning on the site so I went ahead and purchased one right away even though he didn't have the exact one I wanted so I went a little heavier but I like it sprung firm so...

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
If you think that's steep, price out a Mojo UK Ti spring with shipping to the US. Looking at 560 bucks or more...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Thats 170 euro!
God I love the US$ at the moment!!!
Buy, buy, buy!!!

(to put into perspective: 2 years ago, American tourists were actually able to spend US$ here as it was basically 1:1)

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
you gotta pay to play...but its so worth it in the long run.
That is a **** load of money to spend to save 6-8 oz and get ZERO performance increase from your bike. At that price the weight saving is costing about $40 an ounce. If money is of no concern and saving weight is of highest concern, I guess it may be worth it to someone.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
That is a **** load of money to spend to save 6-8 oz and get ZERO performance increase from your bike. At that price the weight saving is costing about $40 an ounce. If money is of no concern and saving weight is of highest concern, I guess it may be worth it to someone.
While you don't get a performance increase per se, it doesn't take away from the reliability or DH-capacity of the bike. Moving to lighter parts often compromises the part over a heavier option.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
While I haven't yet ridden with my ti spring (bike not completed yet), I was amazed at the weight difference between DHX with steel spring and DHX with ti. Huge.

This can only equate to a better handling bike.

If you can't afford a ti spring, don't get one. If you can, do.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, look at it another way: is there a single other place on your bike where you can knock a half pound of weight off with one part, and not sacrifice even the smallest amount of reliability, performance or strength?

If there is, I don't know of it.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Well, look at it another way: is there a single other place on your bike where you can knock a half pound of weight off with one part, and not sacrifice even the smallest amount of reliability, performance or strength?

If there is, I don't know of it.
Good point. Just a hell ouf a lot of effin' money to do it. I thought $200 was lot of money for a Ti spring but was gonna do it. Now at $300 it is becoming a lot harder to justify just to save weight.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I dont see 2.75 stroke listed. Will a 3.00 stroke fit my DHX with 2.75?
My DHX is 2.75 and I bought the 3.00 spring. I can only fit one of the adapters on my SX Trail. So far no rubbing or other issues. I'll take it out on the trail tonight and if there are problems I'll have a shop compress the spring a bit so I can fit the 2nd spacer.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
RCS in the USA rolls the springs for mojo in the UK. The guys at RCS are great to deal with direct.
RCS can't roll all of them for Mojo because when I called RCS, they claimed they make no springs for a DHX over 550 pounds. Mojo UK sells a 600 for the DHX so it must be sourced elsewhere.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
obtainium spring for my judge has arived 450x3.5 powdercoatet and hand signatur.. becouse i cant to await for original printing.
thanks jim for that fast service to switzerland!

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
What's the point of the spacers? If the spring is long enough that the preload collar is safely on the threads why bother with the extra weight?
compensate the inner diameter between the spring and schock! the adapter make that the spring dont move on the shock becouse the inner diameter from the ti spring is huge!!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Is this so they don't have to make different springs for each shock? It would be nice if the aftermarket spring sat on the seats just like the stock spring. My RCS fits on my DHX like a stock spring.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
Is this so they don't have to make different springs for each shock? It would be nice if the aftermarket spring sat on the seats just like the stock spring. My RCS fits on my DHX like a stock spring.
this is a statement from the obtainium website:

We use a standard sized spring so it will fit on most shocks. Most shocks will need a Performance Adapter for a proper fit. Since the Obtainium Ti spring has a 1.5 inch (38.1mm) inner diameter (I.D.) the Performance Adapter will allow the spring to fit a smaller I.D. For example the Fox or Marzocchi shock has a 1.370 inch I.D. By using the Performance Adapter our 1.5 inch I.D. will fit properly without unwanted movement. Also since titanium springs use fewer coils they can be shorter and still have the needed travel.

http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/products.htm

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The main idea was to provide a spring for the Vivid (1.5" ID). With some propper design and thinking, they were able to get the same spring to fit the majority of shocks out there with the addition of a couple of grams in spacers....briliant idea IMO. Look at spring weights (many posted here), with the spacers, the Obtainium springs are still lighter than many others (they add almost nothing).

Dont be surprised it you see more, larger diameter shocks in the future..what I have seen of the new Fox, it looks larger that the current DHX (1.38" ID spring)...there are many reasons why this would be beneficial

BTW, unless you bought an RCS spring very reciently, then your spring does not fit like stock.
Up until about a month ago, all RCS springs were 1.43" ID to be able to fit Manitou shocks. They will work, but in some instances require a bit of tinkering (usually in heavy rates). RCS now makes a propper 1.38" ID ti spring for the DHX, but they have only been on the market for a short while.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
How do contact these guys? I have emailed them twice about shipping to the UK but not had a reply
umm..keep trying....

Right now it is pretty much a one man show. Jim is working his a$$ off, I can tell you that for sure. What do you need to know?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
For those bitching about price - I for one would never buy a new titanium spring. They can be typically had for about 1/3rd of the price second hand, and the difference between new and 2nd hand is much less than with any other component on your bike.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
How do contact these guys? I have emailed them twice about shipping to the UK but not had a reply
When did you E-mail them?Jim was at Sea Otter and I'am sure he is going thru a ton of E-Mail.He will and has shipped all over world.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
and on the website from obtainium they tell that is some ...

"Due to popular demand we are a little late in shipping our 400 and 450 rate springs. Please be patient. "

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
and on the website from obtainium they tell that is some ...

"Due to popular demand we are a little late in shipping our 400 and 450 rate springs. Please be patient. "
I had to wait an extra week because my 400 was getting the labeling printed. They gave me the option of getting the plain spring w/o the logo and spring rate on it or wait a week for the printing. I chose to wait.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
I had to wait an extra week because my 400 was getting the labeling printed. They gave me the option of getting the plain spring w/o the logo and spring rate on it or wait a week for the printing. I chose to wait.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
same to my, i dont wait!!

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Go to their website and fill out an order form. You will get to a stage where the shipping cost is shown. You can stop there if the price of shipping doesn't suit you or continue and complete the order.

Sounds like they are really busy at the moment , but when I ordered my spring a month ago , it took 7 days to get to Australia. Very impressive ! Domestic packages can take longer than that here !

The going price for a used ti spring here is not much less than what I paid for a new Obtanium....shipped halfway around the world. Plus its lighter and guaranteed to be a lot closer to the advertised rate than anything else available. My Obtanium 400 has 401written in paint pen on the end face. I assume it was checked and the actual rate noted at the factory.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am going to get new, 2010 Glory with Fox RC4 400 or 450lbs steel spring.
I want titanium spring. Nuke Proof products look nice and they are available at Chainreactioncycles store.
My questions are:
1. if original steel spring is right, shall I buy titanium spring at the same rate? or lower?
2. what is the weight of Fox steel spring for 8.75x2.75 shock?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I am going to get new, 2010 Glory with Fox RC4 400 or 450lbs steel spring.
I want titanium spring. Nuke Proof products look nice and they are available at Chainreactioncycles store.
My questions are:
1. if original steel spring is right, shall I buy titanium spring at the same rate? or lower?
2. what is the weight of Fox steel spring for 8.75x2.75 shock?
1. yes
2. depends on the spring weight

I have a 400lbx2.75 steel Fox spring and it weighs 400g. I was pretty surprised at that. My Obtainium Ti spring with adapters (although 450lb spring) is 330g. Not much savings there. The Obtainium even with adapters weighs much less than any other Ti spring I could find.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
One of the big advantages IMO of a high-quality Ti spring (Obtainium) is you know your rate is going to be spot-on. W/ a Fox spring especially it could be hugely off...just one of a few advantages.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How are people going for email replies from obtainium at the moment?

I understand it's a one man band, but I have to say the prices they charge are ridiculous - and the very least I'd expect given that is faster/better service. Bit of a pain to call them for non-US customers (just like hadley etc).

They don't give weights for their different springs (DSP does - thumbs up!), if anyone is calling them, I'd love to know what a 250x3.0 weighs.