Quantcast

OC to SD... How do they compare?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I might have an opportunity to move from Orange County to San Diego in the near future and I wonder if I'm gonna regret it due to lack ot good ride spots. Right now I'm very close to at least 4-5 good places (less than 20min drive, some less than 5 min) and I would hate to move down there only to discover that I was totally spoled up here and trail pickins in SD are slim.

So who knows both areas well?
For reference, I'm usually riding the tougher stuff in Aliso Woods (DH and Trail bike trails), Luge is great for a quick workout and then we have the whole Santiago/Mojeska for those winter epics. Oh, and the tougher trails in Santiago Oaks.

I guess what I'm asking is if there are good long rides with good technical flowy downs in SD, how long do folks usually drive to get to them and what is might be close to Poway where I'd most likely be at first. Should I make the move from a "bike" perspective?

I went the other way, northbound. SD is very different from OC... there is nothing (that I found) as steep as Aliso or the good SA trails, but there are more (and bigger) features practically everywhere. SD trails go through giant boulder strewn chaparral, and have lots of drops, rollers, and jumps. SD riding is further spread apart, and there might not be as much when you figure all the OC parks. On the other hand, SD has more open space generally, and a lot better odds of building your own trail without a ranger helicoptering in on you.

As different as they are, I think you would be satisfied if you lived in proximity to a good riding area (north county best bet). TW, ATT, Alt-, PV jumps (in boonies)... each spot has more stunts than all of OC combined (excepting Troy Lee/Skidz). Also Mt. P, Balboa, LC, and some other odd areas.

heh just read the last part of your post-- Poway is a very good place to live in San Diego for mountain biking. The spot there is not very long (more of a hike up and re-run, or a shuttle) but it's true and honest downhill for a downhill bike. There are lines there much rowdier than the best parts of Santiago Oaks (Hawk/Goat), and at least as long. I would rather ride Poway than Oaks any day, and I like Oaks.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Thanks Imp... Still not sure if we are gonna move since, according to "others", there are more important things than riding like jobs and family but what do they know!!

;)

Last edited:
Thinking more about it, there aren't many "epic" rides like the Santa Ana's except Noble Canyon or Laguna Mtn, and those are almost an hour from Poway. There's definitely nothing as long + technical as Los Pinos or Bell Ridge. There is a lot of area to build miles of SSS, and enforcement down there seems less anal. If I still lived there, that is what I'd be doing.

OC is a mountain biking mecca, and it would be hard to beat without going a good ways North. That said, there is enough to ride... within 25 min is La Costa, P Mtn., LPQ/tunnels, TW, Balboa, Iron Mountain, and stuff like Elfin Forest, Black Mountain, Mission Trails, Sycamore canyon, etc (think Whiting Ranch vanilla stuff).