Quantcast

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
edit: in response to Joker

Why? Violence (occurring *after* the police kicked them out of their protest area) got them what they wanted, national attention and an offer by the Mayor to sit down and discuss how to keep the protests safe and legal in the future. The Mayor apparently moved in after reports of a person being beat by a 2x4 wielded by one of the OWS "security" team. You don't hear anything about that, only about police abuse and the Iraqi war veteran who was hit in the face by a "less-lethal projectile". There's almost universal condemnation of the tactics employed by the Oakland police, and OPD actually allowed the protesters to re-occupy the square that they'd been in previously.

It's political gamesmanship, with protesters showing that they can garner public opinion on a nationwide scale *and* drive up the costs of any police action. Mayor Quan's actions probably cost the city $20m plus when all of the lawsuits, police costs, etc are all calculated. No public official wants the type of negative publicity that all of this has generated, and it's why people like Bloomberg have been tiptoeing around the issue.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think it's more of a pre-emptive strategy. And I refer to the 'violence' internally (on OWS) by eliminating instigators within the group. They need to start eliminating these problems internally, especially if they are working with the police in this standpoint.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I think it's more of a pre-emptive strategy. And I refer to the 'violence' internally (on OWS) by eliminating instigators within the group. They need to start eliminating these problems internally, especially if they are working with the police in this standpoint.
You're missing my point entirely. The police for the most part instigated this. That would involve letting the peaceful protest remain just that. I for one would be quite pissed of the cops were all "nope, gatta go, blam tear gas, and rubber bullets"

In all honesty, if I wasn't so busy with school and work I would be down there with a gas mask, some heavy gloves, and thick clothing. This is a cause that's totally worth getting arrested for.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Maybe?

Cant seem to find any info on diameter/caliber of the rounds inside. There were an awful lot of tear gas/flash bang grenades being tossed.

*edit: according to this they are .45 caliber.
Yup, I agree that was probably it...knowing what I do about crowd control from having been an MP and from watching the video several times.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
eliminating instigators within the group. They need to start eliminating these problems internally
yeah, not gonna happen.
that would require re-wiring who they are & changing their worldview
some things can't be put in check just b/c you politely ask
The police for the most part instigated this.
maybe in spirit this is true, but up til the point of the less-than-lethal engagement, i think the law will fall down on teh side of the cops

we'll see
In all honesty, if I wasn't so busy with school and work I would be down there with a gas mask, some heavy gloves, and thick clothing. This is a cause that's totally worth getting arrested for.
speaking from the experience of making impulsive, horrible decisions & only by the grace of God not receiving appropriate judgment, i can now look back & advise you to re-consider.

getting arrested may seem like a badge of honor now, but it seldom is.

like, say, 1%

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
maybe in spirit this is true, but up til the point of the less-than-lethal engagement, i think the law will fall down on teh side of the cops
So until sh!t started going wrong it's the protesters fault, but as soon things hit the fan, and all the bad stuff happened it's on the cops, is that what you are saying? Cause I think we finally agree on something

speaking from the experience of making impulsive, horrible decisions & only by the grace of God not receiving appropriate judgment, i can now look back & advise you to re-consider.

getting arrested may seem like a badge of honor now, but it seldom is.

like, say, 1%
Appropriate judgment for trespassing on in a park? I have no plans of swinging at cops. If I were to even get charged with anything what would it be??

That being said, 3 days in a cell waiting to be charged with something is 3 days I need to be doing my school work. So in the interest of not failing a test, I'm not going to go get myself arrested

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So until sh!t started going wrong it's the protesters fault, but as soon things hit the fan, and all the bad stuff happened it's on the cops, is that what you are saying? Cause I think we finally agree on something
i get teh vibe the right to peaceably assemble was being stretched to the breaking point. my opinion is uninformed, hence 'vibe'. but i think i'm appropriately read up to have the opinion the cops drifted a bit to the right on teh use-of-force continuum

Appropriate judgment for trespassing on in a park? I have no plans of swinging at cops.
oh, ok.
i had thought you wanted to tune up some cops

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
That being said, 3 days in a cell waiting to be charged with something is 3 days I need to be doing my school work. So in the interest of not failing a test, I'm not going to go get myself arrested
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one. ;)

But yeah, being arrested sucks...:D

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Interesting story from a friend. He got arrested and charged with failure to disperse and unlawful assembly, got released. He was released across the police line with a patty wagon full of protesters, and gassed 30 minutes later

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
oh, ok.
i had thought you wanted to tune up some cops
That's NEVER a good idea. When it comes to the po po, I've found that the best course is yes sir no sir, and total honesty. If the guy is nice, I walk, if the guy is a dick, it's the bare minimum as far as consequences. I've also found most cops to be on the good side, and I don't have any sort of F the police mentality as a whole.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The law and the court of public opinion aren't always the same...

let them wallow in their own sh!t/piss/garbage.
Or, you know, allow them to have port-a-potties so they're not sh!tting, pissing and leaving garbage around...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i don't think cali has the extra money laying around for that...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And............. Eisenhower takes another turn in his grave:
Robert Greenwald: Meet the 0.01 Percent: War Profiteers
Please provide the name of ANY company that could do what Halliburton could do and services they provided over in Iraq and Afghanistan better and cheaper.

I’ll not hold my breath for your answer.
:stupid:

:rofl:

David J Lesar CEO of Halliburton
SALARY $1.26 mil
BONUS $2.77 mil
OTHER $10.64 mil
STOCK GAINS $14.69 mil

TOTAL COMPENSATION
$29.36 mil (#34 on Forbes list of highest paid CEO's)

5-YEAR COMPENSATION TOTAL
$58.87 mil

<edit> I'd like to know what the "other" compensation is.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Proof that government spending creates jobs?
let's be clear: gov't spending didn't create my company. my company's founder approached the gov't & said "hey gov't, i can do this better than your military can", so then the gov't issued an RFP & then gave our founder some money to start the business so that *he could hire & pay people* from the money the gov't gave him

see, asshole? you have to *ask* for it. it doesn't just plop in your lap like manna from heaven

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I heard a very interesting segment on NPR this morning regarding the economy, and a mention of gov't spending. Robert Frank indicates that during an economic downturn is not the time to cut gov't spending. He cites the "confusion" among many that because most families have to "tighten their belts" during this time that automatically translates to the gov't doing the same.

Clicky.......it's worth a listen

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
let's be clear: gov't spending didn't create my company. my company's founder approached the gov't & said "hey gov't, i can do this better than your military can", so then the gov't issued an RFP & then gave our founder some money to start the business so that *he could hire & pay people* from the money the gov't gave him

see, asshole? you have to *ask* for it. it doesn't just plop in your lap like manna from heaven
Splitting hairs aren't you?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
anyone else remember that post from meusheu about the ambitious & hard working poors?

i'm too rich/lazy to dig it up

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

And this is where everything you say no longer counts, and your opinion is that of every other republican douche bag. "Cut my taxes and Cut spending on everyone else"

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
anyone else remember that post from meusheu about the ambitious & hard working poors?

i'm too rich/lazy to dig it up
Yes because the homeless, and working poor are exactly the same. And while I'm pointing out your blatant ignorance I would also like the point out the amount of homeless vets in the country, that republicans seem more than happy to send off to die, but wont spend the money to treat them properly when they get home

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yes because the homeless, and working poor are exactly the same. And while I'm pointing out your blatant ignorance I would also like the point out the amount of homeless vets in the country, that republicans seem more than happy to send off to die, but wont spend the money to treat them properly when they get home
as a disabled vet, i must ask: wtf are you talking about? and while i sit here @ terminal 5 (wattup, 'squeeb!) waiting for my flight to dc in support of injured soldiers (deploying/integrating latest version of the med eval board web app), may i also ask how you find my line of work so offensive?

i can't wait to tell you about a new partnership i'm getting an ex-sf guy i used to serve with involved in w/ us. if it weren't for a silly NDA, i'd like to let you know about more of our hard-earned tax dollars are keeping our men safer while deployed, get them back sooner, and insure fewer are deployed in future ops.

honestly, i'm neither offended nor bothered by your remarks.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Things I am not amused by in the hands of the 99%
1 Pets, particularly multiples and exotics
2 Tattoos piercings and funky cut&color
3 Cigarettes
4 Chrome wheels on their Datsun

Each screams "I don't know what to with money when I do have some of it." It reminds me of Dave Chappelle's "Reparations" skit (racial factors aside).