Quantcast

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
is it too obvious to point out the rules are identical for all charitable deductions, not just for magical undergarment textile fronts?

perhaps my explanation should have included the fact that charitable deductions result in lessening the burden on other tax-payer funded programs (food banks, hospitals, homeless shelters, & other assorted philanthropic vehicles)
I'd bet serious money that the amount spent on proselytizing and preaching about Jeebus (and funding issues like Prop 8) far outweighs the amount that it saves taxpayer money for food banks and other assorted philanthropic vehicles...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'd bet serious money that the amount spent on proselytizing and preaching about Jeebus (and funding issues like Prop 8) far outweighs the amount that it saves taxpayer money for food banks and other assorted philanthropic vehicles...
what can i say but "free speech isn't free"?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
no moron

I do not pay the actual % stated for my income. I take my multiple alloted deductions that my wife the Tax CPA knows about. We pay considerably less, only a moron would ignore the allowable deductions. Romney plays it the same way everyone with a brain and a good CPA does. Get over your pseudo intellectual self.
Not at all buddy, he pays people handsomely to make sure he pays as little as possible. Go look at the amount of income the top 1% receives in relation to the amount of taxes they pay, it's disgusting. The middle class pays more than the rich it's a proven fact. The capitol gains tax is capped at 15% and that is where most of the rich's money comes from Legal or not, it's wrong, and the system needs changing.

Pseudo intellectualism?? Don't you work as an EMT or something like that? I actually understand how the derivatives work that crashed the economy. If you want to discuss how soft money works or something like that I'm happy too, but if you want to just call me a moron, seriously piss off. I spent more time learning about political science and economics before changing to engineering than you spent learning to work on an ambulance.

Have a read you ignorant asshat
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/business/a-personal-and-painful-tax-reality-common-sense.html?pagewanted=all

Oh and for reference, here is some data that shows how well that soft money has done in bringing down the tax rate for the rich
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/151.html
I also would like to add, that the era when we as a nation did the best was when the highest tax bracket was 80-90% and we were investing tons and tons of money in our infrastructure and education.

If you want to keep telling yourself that some rich asshole hoarding his money is helping you instead of that tax money fixing our roads and paying teachers, then you sir are delusional

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
huh? he paid $6.2M for 2010 (@13.9%, expected to be 15.4% for 2011). i wonder what are the unadvertised costs of CPAs & such to get his rate that low. IOW, he may be paying what appears to be a low rate, but i'm sure he's handing out the cheddar to other-than-gov't recipients. shall we now hate on all the players in the game? shall we reserve judgment for any who spends frivolously, or hoard their cash?

fyi: we regularly get our rate down to the high teens through measures including brainwashing 501(c)3s per the directives we channel from the ghosts of our founding fathers.
ummm, at least the guy who spends his money helps the economy. The way the rich hoard would fall into the redistribution of wealth category. They make money of the middle class, and ummm get richer, while spending more money to lower taxes, find loop holes, and find ways for the government to hand them corporate welfare checks.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Go look at the amount of income the top 1% receives in relation to the amount of taxes they pay, it's disgusting.
The middle class pays more than the rich it's a proven fact.

here's another proven fact: the bottom 80% pay just less than a third of taxes.
oh, and they make up almost 90% of the population
furthermore, the upper quintile (again, just 10% of the population) earns 1/2 the income, from which comes 2/3 of all federal taxes.

disgusting, indeed

The capitol gains tax is capped at 15% and that is where most of the rich's money comes from Legal or not, it's wrong, and the system needs changing.
it's changing all the time
I spent more time learning about political science and economics before changing to engineering than you spent learning to work on an ambulance.
i think the issue here is you pursued an education that reinforces your worldview
this part sucks:
nyt said:
Equally rankling to many is New York City’s unincorporated business tax, which is “charged to every individual or unincorporated entity carrying on a trade, business or profession — in whole or part — in New York City,” according to the New York City Department of Finance. “I despise it,” Mr. Willens said. (As head of his own firm, Robert Willens L.L.C. in New York City, he pays the tax.) “You’ve already paid federal, state and local income tax on the same income. It’s double taxation. It’s odious. I hate it. The self-employed are supposed to be the backbone of the economy. They’re treated very harshly. I guess there’s no organized lobby for the self-employed.”
I also would like to add, that the era when we as a nation did the best was when the highest tax bracket was 80-90% and we were investing tons and tons of money in our infrastructure and education.
i wonder what's changed since then? perhaps i should google it
If you want to keep telling yourself that some rich asshole hoarding his money is helping you instead of that tax money fixing our roads and paying teachers, then you sir are delusional
how about both?
They make money off the middle class
guess what? those small businesses also do.

would you have the upper class only be allowed to engage in commerce within their own bracket?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hey Mooshoo

Just to set you straight. I'm the Director of the Ambulance company. Prior to that I spent 20 years as a regional sales manager in the electronics industry. I happen to own a very nice home in the mountains, you I believe still live at mommy and daddys

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

here's another proven fact: the bottom 80% pay just less than a third of taxes.
oh, and they make up almost 90% of the population
furthermore, the upper quintile (again, just 10% of the population) earns 1/2 the income, from which comes 2/3 of all federal taxes.

disgusting, indeed
You're neglecting the fact that capitol gains play a HUGE part in that, those figures are absent, not counted as "income" As well the middle and lower class pay MUCH more in things like sales taxes, they are what's actually referred to as a regressive tax, so are traffic tickets.

how about both?
see, when the wealthy hoard and we lower taxes, we don't have this thing called funding for school, they are indeed expensive.

guess what? those small businesses also do.

would you have the upper class only be allowed to engage in commerce within their own bracket?
How far along did you get in econ? Here is how it works, the middle class doesn't hoard money, the top 1% does, when you give some one money who hoards it, it does, what's the word, not much, trade some commodities, make investments that you can invest into to guarantee success. What do you or I do with that money? We buy bikes and cars and houses, and things that then pay other people who need jobs to do things. I understand the wealthy spend more money per person, but it is far less in proportion to their income.

See, when you have a huge corporation who's only motive is profit, they send production to the little asian kids in china, labor is cut ten fold, profits double, and every dollar you now spend on that product is not milking out economy dry, that money is going into A) some factory in china or B) some rich guy's pocket.

i think the issue here is you pursued an education that reinforces your worldview
You mean the kid who was a card carrying libertarian when I started college? Funny thing what a basic econ book will tell you about conservative economic policy.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Hey Mooshoo

Just to set you straight. I'm the Director of the Ambulance company. Prior to that I spent 20 years as a regional sales manager in the electronics industry. I happen to own a very nice home in the mountains, you I believe still live at mommy and daddys
And that qualifies in politics how???? I don't know how to save lives, but then again, I haven't spent as much time studying it as you.

It's also funny how an extra 1000$ a month in the college fund keeps me motivated to stay at home till next fall. But then again, what the hell do I know, I'm only trying to make getting an education as easy as possible, or should I move out now to try and impress and compete with you?

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
no but you think you know how to do things, what you want to do with other folks money and livelyhoods, yet you haven't done any of them yourself. Which is why the majority of us here at RM and in the community who work every day, who run buisnesses, employ others, and do community volunteer work, have earned our place in the community, look at you and shake our heads.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
no but you think you know how to do things, what you want to do with other folks money and livelyhoods, yet you haven't done any of them yourself. Which is why the majority of us here at RM and in the community who work every day, who run buisnesses, employ others, and do community volunteer work, have earned our place in the community, look at you and shake our heads.
No dude, you're just a crotchety old man who can't handle some stupid kid knowing more about politics and economics than you. The fact that you have been in the work force has nothing to do with it, and if you really think me wanting funding for schools and roads is me wanting to "take other peoples money for myself" then you sir are the king tool, and have ZERO idea what you are talking about. As well I'm more than happy to pay my fair share in taxes, I understand that things need paying for, I'm not some old crotchety dude who's greed gets in the way of understanding how taxation and economics work

Even if you want to be a greedy prick, like you seem too, think about this. If a college degree is worth a million dollars over a life time, the government long term takes in more in taxes from a person who has a degree than the cost of the degree. Not to mention the fact that investment in education long term is the single biggest thing you can do for the economy.

So I'm lazy now? Dude you know NOTHING about me, not only do I work 4-5 days a week, but I'm in school 4-5 days a week. Did you have to go to school to be a sales jerk???? As well I'm heavily involved in a winter homeless shelter my temple runs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bahahahaha!!!!!

F*ck I hope they can pull this off! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25004132
Even Jack Welch at GE had something like 20:1 and he was one of the most closely correlated in recent history. You're talking about a CEO who happens to have a janitor making $10/hr who will cap at $250k/y. If that happens, corporations will be leaving Switzerland. Maybe 20:1 vs average, but still never going to happen.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Even Jack Welch at GE had something like 20:1 and he was one of the most closely correlated in recent history. You're talking about a CEO who happens to have a janitor making $10/hr who will cap at $250k/y. If that happens, corporations will be leaving Switzerland. Maybe 20:1 vs average, but still never going to happen.
I for one, would be horrified if we made the mistake of chasing Lloyd Blankfein or Jamie Dimon to fvck off to some other country.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I had forgotten the level of insanity contained in this thread.

And I hope the Swiss kids are succcesful, and I would bet, if they are, it doesnt chase industry one out of the country...

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i'd put my money on lawyers, accountants and financers figuring out a way to rename compensation, or structure salaries in a way that execs will still end up getting huge amounts of compensation. regulation brings out the creative in people.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are similar rules elsewhere. Janitorial staff here is contracted out, so the CEO here would be figured against someone on the manufacturing floor. I am guessing $12 an hour on the low end (but I have no idea). I know our CEO doesn't make crazy money (not sure what his actual salary is, but I've seen revenue and cost figures for the company) but we are also only 250ish people with an operating capital of $25M. I know the engineers here make pretty good coin.

While I understand a CEO assumes all risk ultimately, I also fail to see how anyone can justify a salary above $5M. I mean, if you can't live comfy on $5M/year, you have real issues to begin with. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i'd put my money on lawyers, accountants and financers figuring out a way to rename compensation, or structure salaries in a way that execs will still end up getting huge amounts of compensation. regulation brings out the creative in people.
This.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good a place as any.

Trickling down bitches!
The combined wealth of the world's richest 85 people is now equivalent to that owned by half of the world's population – or 3.5 billion of the poorest people – according to a new report from Oxfam.
*snip*
It added that the wealth of the richest one percent of people in the world now amounts to $110 trillion, or 65 times the total wealth of the bottom half of the world's population.

"This massive concentration of economic resources in the hands of fewer people presents a significant threat to inclusive political and economic systems," the report said.
"Instead of moving forward together, people are increasingly separated by economic and political power, inevitably heightening social tensions and increasing the risk of societal breakdown," it added.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The lawsuit did not identify the officer who fired the beanbag, and the city has not identified the officer. But the suit said that after Olsen was struck and was lying on the ground, Oakland police Officer Robert Roche lobbed a tear-gas canister into a group trying to help Olsen, an incident that was captured by a TV news camera.

Oakland police moved to fire Roche after the incident. Roche, a decorated Marine Corps veteran who has been involved in three fatal shootings in the city
, is fighting his termination, sources said.
wtf oakland? florida jr?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well that's just swell. if oakland PD goes bankrupt, then it will turn into a lawless town.

wait a minute...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am probably one of the most devout libertatians you will ever meet,
This thread is awesome.

Ya'll remember when sanjuro was soros funded antifa for like 10 minutes?

Your photographer

then clutched the pearls...
As someone who has a sporting interest in protests and riots, let me say that around the Bay Area, some of the Occupy folks are behaving in a mob mentality fashion.

I think about the bravery of the man in Tienanmen Square facing down a tank. Is that what is going on when you attack a cop and run into the crowd? Or a group of Occupiers threaten a reporter?

Or about Occupy Cal? Who looks like they are in charge here?

True colors starting show....
Could you name the last non-violent protest which took place in the ghetto?
Showed an impermeable faith in cops...
My guess is that cops are used to three kinds of postures:

1. Violent, either because of drugs or the suspects are trying to flee
2. Evasive, which means the people they are talking to are either lying or keeping something a secret
3. Submissive, like when they give a ticket and the person receiving it thanks them

The Occupy protesters are none of these. They are non-violent, very frank about their agenda, and far from submissive.

I think the cops are not used to be outnumbered and out-of-control, and the two pepper-sprayers lost it.

And then just totally went back to brunch....
I support the tenets of Occupy, but not Occupy Oakland.

It has denigrated to F*** The Police protests every Saturday. Serious!

I have no clue what is the point of screwing up downtown Oakland. Is Bain Capital or Goldman Sachs in Oakland? Or a lot of one-percenters live downtown?

I would be in favor of occupying SF banks or even a visit to Orinda/Lafayette, but the OO are too chickensh*t to leave.

I enjoy the protests because I have a sporting interest in riots, but there is no point otherwise.

Anyway I'm pretty sure sanjuro is running a substack somewhere as a dave rubin equivalent, reformed liberal who saw the light, and now fights the woke

I also think hello kitty may legit be a guy named joey camp, who you definitely should and should not look up, depending on stomach fortitude.

And $tinkle is definitely on stormfront somewhere.

I'm a historian. Fuck off.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Education can do amazing things; leaving the echo chamber as well. Knowing how the Street works, made me an ass. Learning more fundamentals around economics (what does work vs. theory), changed my view substantially as well.

I hang my head at the shit I said then...