Quantcast

OChain “chainless” chainring spider

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
*or just thinks every suspension bike is an orange
That would be the ultimate lipstick on a pig...

But why would you stop there? Go full 1992 with this amazing set of elastomer-enhanced components!!!

EDIT: Cue in the XZIBIT memes:

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Every 10 years some dipshit forgets derailleur springs and freehubs with a certain degree of clockwise movement exist and thinks your cranks get pulled backwards on suspension bikes*

*or just thinks every suspension bike is an orange
FTFY

This has been discussed over and over again. @Vrock has a lot to say about this.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Just take your shock off and hold your pedal while cycling the suspension. Its not complicated. Chain kickback doesn't happen on any suspension design work a damn because the derailleur unwinds.
lock the brake and you will see pk, the derailleur is on the slack side and doesn't have anything to do with PK.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If you guys want flex maybe check out that Starling Murmur. I think if you corner hard enough it turns into a Bugs Bunny noodle bike situation when the rear end flexes past your fork.

I just want to turn my Capra into an idler set-up for cheap. I know I know... ain’t gonna happen.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
If you guys want flex maybe check out that Starling Murmur. I think if you corner hard enough it turns into a Bugs Bunny noodle bike situation when the rear end flexes past your fork.
the murmur is a rad bike. not noodly at all; great corner shredder (tho i'm no connor fearon). it's just the right kind of compliance, imo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of these days I will get around to installing my new in box shockster on my old Turner with bolt on brake bosses for the ultimate suspension kludge.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One of these days I will get around to installing my new in box shockster on my old Turner with bolt on brake bosses for the ultimate suspension kludge.
Let us know when you do, so we can revoke your privileges.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
This is retarded. PK doesn't happen when you are coasting.
Watch any DH slow motion video and keep an eye on the chain... the thing is always flopping around like crazy.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I'm no suspension guru but the dominance of the Commencal Supreme high pivot in WC racing tells me that the chain forces have much to do with suspension performance. That and Neko Mulally got his best WC result after dropping his chain at the top. and Aaron Gwin, remember that?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm no suspension guru but the dominance of the Commencal Supreme high pivot in WC racing tells me that the chain forces have much to do with suspension performance. That and Neko Mulally got his best WC result after dropping his chain at the top. and Aaron Gwin, remember that?
Correlation != causation

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Correlation != causation
How many people have had fucked runs because of a broken chain? I don't have an answer but i'd say most of them.

I am guessing some people could have better runs on some tracks without a chain not because of suspension action but because they are no longer wasting energy pedaling. Bombing down a technical track is exhausting on every part of the body even without pedaling. I've never had bike computer on a MTB but I have gone down steep roads on a road bike and once I get above about 35 mph pedaling as hard as i can barely makes a difference. Dudes who go faster on a chainless bike are probably doing so because they are no longer wasting energy they can't afford.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Suspension bikes work better chainless because there's no energy being wasted in pulling the chain on the spring loaded derailleur. You can even tell the difference between a clutch derailleur which is even worse. Doesn't mean your ass is winning a run because of it though. That's from focus and being efficient. Like the guy with the shockster said.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Suspension bikes work better chainless because there's no energy being wasted in pulling the chain on the spring loaded derailleur. You can even tell the difference between a clutch derailleur which is even worse. Doesn't mean your ass is winning a run because of it though. That's from focus and being efficient. Like the guy with the shockster said.
No, and yes,
Without a clutch the derailuer simply adds spring force, maybe a miniscule amount in low gear, and 20% of miniscule in high gear.
Take your spring off bet you it wont hold your bike up, flip it over, wont even hold up the suspension. Maybe just maybe on a bike with HUGE chain growth and no lower guide the derailuer might keep the shock 0.002" off the stop in low gear.

Now if you use a lower chain roller the chain "unwraps" as the suspension compresses and feeds the chain growth keeping the derailuer from getting tugged as much

Now a clutch derailuer,
Now those little buggers ceartainly add some stiction to suspension, best you can do is back down the clutch adjustment to the minimum needed to keep the chain in check and use a guide with a lower roller as high as possible

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Exclusively yes.
Um ok ill take your (single) word for it

Man you should go back your preload off 1/73rd of a turn. So you dont feel the extra 0.2lbs/in your derailuer is adding to your super exact wheel rate that you came too without a chain.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How do you know the force on my chain if I didn't tell you what derailleur, which clutch, how old and worn, and how long the cage arm is, nor what bike which is going to vary the growth and leverage?

Instead of me messing with preload, why don't you go take a few chainless runs?

That stance is far from singular.

Like vrock said, pedal kickback is only a thing when you tension the chain and try to pedal. Just coasting along, you're standing on the pedals, it's not like your cranks are constantly trying to throw you off. All that force going through the chain wraps around the cogs and gets taken up in the chain growth by your derailleur. That crank doohicky that started this thread is just redundantly adding to what your derailleur is already doing.

Personally I only leave my chain on so people can tell how much money I spend on loud hubs.

Last edited:
How do you know the force on my chain if I didn't tell you what derailleur, which clutch, how old and worn, and how long the cage arm is, nor what bike which is going to vary the growth and leverage?

Instead of me messing with preload, why don't you go take a few chainless runs?

That stance is far from singular.

Like vrock said, pedal kickback is only a thing when you tension the chain and try to pedal. Just coasting along, you're standing on the pedals, it's not like your cranks are constantly trying to throw you off. All that force going through the chain wraps around the cogs and gets taken up in the chain growth by your derailleur. That crank doohicky that started this thread is just redundantly adding to what your derailleur is already doing.

Personally I only leave my chain on so people can tell how much money I spend on loud hubs.
Minus some very small inefficiency, any energy taken out by the derailleur spring gets put back in by the derailleur spring. Got any more mythology?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Minus some very small inefficiency, any energy taken out by the derailleur spring gets put back in by the derailleur spring. Got any more mythology?
Chain wrap around a cassette doesn't really work that way. Unless you're putting derailleurs on full suspension fixies.

Which I wouldn't put past you.

You ever bounce the back wheel of a suspension bike on the floor of your garage and see the cranks get pulled backwards? Ever notice that's not what happens when coasting downhill with you on it?

I'm not saying what's being taken up by the derailleur is huge, but it's not nothing. Some bikes more pronounced than others obviously. And since it relies on the singular rotation direction of a freewheel hub, it's not exactly 1:1. And clutch derailleurs only provide significant friction in one direction.

Last edited: