Quantcast

OChain “chainless” chainring spider

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I'd be curious to try one...
I know the derailurr does it's job but there's still a little pull on cranks in rocks while braking...

After having rode a Jedi and being able to plow rocks and not have interference it's a great thing if it acts like that....just smooth....

I think the der allows some as freewheels itself while braking it gets taught on upper side of cassette and pulls on top of chainring causing interference even with am active der....by allowing it to move at chainring eliminates the lock up of rear cassette and chain line , the derailurr can handle the world or load on bottom side

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
First everybody buys the super high engagement hubs and then tries to offset the effect by buying more expensive stuff??? Alright then....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I like high engagement hubs...1 they buzz cool, 2 I futz around with wife and kids on either bike and it's nice to be able to trials style good off with kids ..

In DH incant say I notice much I run a set of 18pt dt and LOVE Em..but for everything aside of dh I do like having stroke when needed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can't believe how the Pinkbike commentards are defending ochain. It's honestly the stupidest idea since the z-cranks...
I've never ridden one and am not about to buy one, but I don't think the idea is categorically stupid. Sure, if you're not running a billion POE hub your *average* pedal kickback is going to be mitigated by the hub engagement, but that's just the average. If you've got a 36 POE hub (i.e., 10°) the average degrees of rotation before the freehub catches is going to be 5°, but sometimes you'll hit a bump when the hub just caught and it'll be basically 0° and other times you'll get 10°. Most of the time it'll be somewhere in the middle. Ochain gives you consistent decoupling. I don't think it'll be a total game-changer, but I can see it making more than zero difference.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Somewhere in this thread there is the Vorsprung video where it is clearly explained that with really any forward speed this is a non issue. If you want to spend your money after that but imma gonna snicker at your gullibility.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Somewhere in this thread there is the Vorsprung video where it is clearly explained that with really any forward speed this is a non issue. If you want to spend your money after that but imma gonna snicker at your gullibility.
Okay, interesting. I was thinking about it a little more static than that, but it makes sense that you'd need to not only move through whatever hub engagement gap there is, but also catch up with the forward motion of the wheel. I don't actually have the best sense of what a realistic upper limit for a shock shaft speed is to do the math on it, but don't doubt that Vorsprung does. I'll look up the video.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Okay, interesting. I was thinking about it a little more static than that, but it makes sense that you'd need to not only move through whatever hub engagement gap there is, but also catch up with the forward motion of the wheel. I don't actually have the best sense of what a realistic upper limit for a shock shaft speed is to do the math on it, but don't doubt that Vorsprung does. I'll look up the video.

Thinking about it a bit more and speed really doesn't matter, just suspension displacement vs horizontal travel. So how much does a hub rotate while the wheel tracks say a square edge of a certain size? There is probably a bump size where there is no kickback, and a size where it comes into play, depending on suspension design, hub engagement and wheel diameter.

Of course your wheel will not track a square edge perfectly so do a bunch of very specific math then just divide by two, or something.

Might be a good product for the loading dock 1mph huck to flat crowd.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Chatting shit today while building a mates bike for next weeks EWS a mate called this thing a "Chain Jeremy"... I pissed myself laughing as I knew exactly what he was referring to with just those two words.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've also heard a few Ebikers complain O-chain don't make one to fit their Ebike cranks yet... y'know those cranks that already have a freewheel mechanism built into the spider

:doh:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've also heard a few Ebikers complain O-chain don't make one to fit their Ebike cranks yet... y'know those cranks that already have a freewheel mechanism built into the spider

:doh:
Not a good reason not to sell them one.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'd be more interested in a chainless gear / zero gear than the Ochain, but I do find it interesting that Ochain seems to be taking over top-level racing.
Unfortunately, I only have a wide range trail bike these days. If I had a DH/lift-only steed I would have tried a spacer zero gear already. Decoupling at the cranks and running a fixxy hub is wayyyy too much expense and fiddling for me.

A tiny brand like Ochain sure ain't dominating the world due to traditional marketing. Word of mouth and placebo affect in the pits?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd be more interested in a chainless gear / zero gear than the Ochain, but I do find it interesting that Ochain seems to be taking over top-level racing.
Unfortunately, I only have a wide range trail bike these days. If I had a DH/lift-only steed I would have tried a spacer zero gear already. Decoupling at the cranks and running a fixxy hub is wayyyy too much expense and fiddling for me.

A tiny brand like Ochain sure ain't dominating the world due to traditional marketing. Word of mouth and placebo affect in the pits?
Like Olympians cupping to draw out toxins an roadies removing grease from bearings to save weight while still wearing gold chains around their necks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ochain sure ain't dominating the world due to traditional marketing. Word of mouth and placebo affect in the pits?
You mean by Ochain giving their product to high profile DH racers free?
Dude. That's exactly how Maxxis took over the tyre market in 1999/2000

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Voodoo energy magnet wrist bands were funny!

I thought grease was removed from bearings to be replaced with a lighter oil that allows the bearing to spin quicker.

But I don’t follow road or Olympics so don’t really care.

Like Olympians cupping to draw out toxins an roadies removing grease from bearings to save weight while still wearing gold chains around their necks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Voodoo energy magnet wrist bands were funny!

I thought grease was removed from bearings to be replaced with a lighter oil that allows the bearing to spin quicker.

But I don’t follow road or Olympics so don’t really care.
Maybe it was pawls in the hubs. Either way going to extremes for .000001% gains while wearing voodoo talismans made from heavy metals.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

onyx vesper hubs are available for DH.

i'd like to see box make the stealth hub in DH spacing, but their mtb hubs seem to be vaporware at this point.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
definitely not because they came out with a tire that didn't suck.
The Highroller wasn't actually any better a tyre than the Comp16 that it killed off in just one year.
They were however HALF the price

Last edited:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
*pours one out for the venerable C16* still have an old bike in the garage with a c24 / c16 combo. first properly grippy tires. granted i was probably coming off gazzolodies at the time, which were heinous in retrospect.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You mean by Ochain giving their product to high profile DH racers free?
Dude. That's exactly how Maxxis took over the tyre market in 1999/2000
I got downvoted at PB for stating the obvious, if you give your shit for free to the riders you're basically sponsoring them, and riders don't always use what's best for their performance, but also what's best for their pockets.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I got downvoted at PB for stating the obvious, if you give your shit for free to the riders you're basically sponsoring them, and riders don't always use what's best for their performance, but also what's best for their pockets.
Oh I thought they ran Kenda tyres because they liked the socks on linoleum feel

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In regards to this point, at the level WC riders are at, they're looking for every advantage they can get. Even if there's no measurable empirical benefit the riders may just think its helping. At that level a mental advantage is still an advantage.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thinking about it a bit more and speed really doesn't matter, just suspension displacement vs horizontal travel. So how much does a hub rotate while the wheel tracks say a square edge of a certain size? There is probably a bump size where there is no kickback, and a size where it comes into play, depending on suspension design, hub engagement and wheel diameter.

Of course your wheel will not track a square edge perfectly so do a bunch of very specific math then just divide by two, or something.

Might be a good product for the loading dock 1mph huck to flat crowd.
Well, yeah, but forward speed (assuming the rear wheel is rolling) is one way to indirectly think about the "how much does the hub" rotate part.

Seems like it'd at least help if you're on the rear brake and the rear wheel is skipping off shit / intermittently locking up as it comes off the ground. A limited case to be sure.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, yeah, but forward speed (assuming the rear wheel is rolling) is one way to indirectly think about the "how much does the hub" rotate part.

Seems like it'd at least help if you're on the rear brake and the rear wheel is skipping off shit / intermittently locking up as it comes off the ground. A limited case to be sure.

How much chain growth do you get with the wheel off the ground?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
In regards to this point, at the level WC riders are at, they're looking for every advantage they can get. Even if there's no measurable empirical benefit the riders may just think its helping. At that level a mental advantage is still an advantage.
Well, there was this company not so long ago selling Power Balances for bikes... Vital featured them on every single pit bit for several years...