Quantcast

Odd Jobs, and why they afford you time for the monkey

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Who's got the oddest job, and why do we have time for the monkey?

Me: Remote sensing analyst
Why: Lots of down time during image processing, so I check the web. Perhaps if they buy me another workstation, I'll be more efficient! :nopity:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Graphic Designer. I give the impression that I'm very busy and scowl a lot and people leave me alone. I don't miss deadlines, but I could be doing twice the work I do. For the same money!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Computational materials scientist.

The computer does most of the work for me which gives me time to monkey around on other stuff. But when I have to write code and analyze the results no monkey pour moi.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Competitve sports event timing. Slow in the winter. Plus, company based in Salt Lake City, and I work remotely in Spokane, in my house, by myself. Nobody connstantly breathing down my neck or monitoring what I am doing. I love being allowed to work independently!! Corporate America SUCKS!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
GIS cartographer. Making maps is the gig and the exports can take a lot of time ;)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
when lectures go slow i surf the web. usually not the monkey, tho, that's for home downtime.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
systems admin/analyst for American Eagle Outfitters...when i am not traveling i am pretty much around my computer all day, i love the alt+tab technique...its amazing how productive you can be and still look at msg boards...

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
N8 said:
My job is Ride Monkey... look at my post count.
Wow... if you posted once every 10 seconds, it would have taken you 17.6 years to accumulate that post count. Had Al Gore invented the internet by 17 years ago?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Desktop technician (I fix PC's) and a slacker. I spend 8 freaking hours on the monkey AND still get work done.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Zark said:
GIS cartographer. Making maps is the gig and the exports can take a lot of time ;)
I work on GIS sometimes.

I work at the County Courthouse with the Assessors office doing odd jobs after school.