Quantcast

Odd sized hope rotors

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Any reason why I couldn't run Hope 205mm rotors with a standard 203mm adapter from hayes/shimano/avid while running 2mm washers under the brake brake caliper?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Because the hope rotor scrapes the top of the brake calipers. Get what you need for the job.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Any reason why I couldn't run Hope 205mm rotors with a standard 203mm adapter from hayes/shimano/avid while running 2mm washers under the brake brake caliper?
Yep - because spacing em out from the caliper doesn't space them directly away from the axle, so the angle of the caliper relative to the post mount faces needs to change. If you're running Avid brakes though, the Tri-align hemispherical washers will allow uneven spacing - I did this pretty dodgily to use a 224mm Hayes rotor with a normal 8" adaptor. Wouldn't recommend doing specifically what I did, cos there was over half an inch of spacers (and longer bolts) but for 2mm it won't be a problem. If you're not running Avids, you may or may not be able to fit the hemispherical washers under there without spacing the caliper out too far - they have about 5mm stack height IIRC.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Yep - because spacing em out from the caliper doesn't space them directly away from the axle, so the angle of the caliper relative to the post mount faces needs to change. If you're running Avid brakes though, the Tri-align hemispherical washers will allow uneven spacing - I did this pretty dodgily to use a 224mm Hayes rotor with a normal 8" adaptor. Wouldn't recommend doing specifically what I did, cos there was over half an inch of spacers (and longer bolts) but for 2mm it won't be a problem. If you're not running Avids, you may or may not be able to fit the hemispherical washers under there without spacing the caliper out too far - they have about 5mm stack height IIRC.
I would be running saints.

However I don't see how the spacers would change the angle from the posts. Evenly using spacers on the each post would keep the angle relative...?

Plus its a matter of 2mm....not 21mm

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Likewise, no problems here.

Logic would indicate you'd only need 1mm spacers, as that is the difference in radius (102.5mm - 101.5mm) however if it rubs, 2mm may be the go.

Aug 11, 2009
halifax
I've used washers quite a bit to adjust pad position on rotors, or get a rotor to clear a caliper etc.

I used stainless washers, and as long as you don't get too crazy and do a 10mm spacer or something you should be fine.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I would be running saints.

However I don't see how the spacers would change the angle from the posts. Evenly using spacers on the each post would keep the angle relative...?

Plus its a matter of 2mm....not 21mm
Look at the direction you'll be moving the caliper relative to the adaptor, and relative to the axle. It's not a pure radial movement relative to the axle, ie adding 1mm of spacers won't move the caliper 1mm further from the axle. Besides that, as Udi said, it's only 1mm difference in radius, not 2mm, though chances you will need more than 1mm of spacers. You may find that the pad does not completely contact the rotor, or it might be ok. If you've already got the stuff, just try it, it's not hard to see if it's going to work or not.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If we are talking Hope 2-piece rotors here, there can also be physical contact problems between the bolt/rivet that holds together the rotor and non-Hope calipers.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I run new style Saints with 205 hope 2pc rotors and 203 avid adapters.

I put (1) 1mm spacer between each adapter/caliper point and it's been running great for months.