Quantcast

Odd tubeless issue

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have a small leak at the rim, sealant isn't doing anything. Disclaimer: not an official tubeless tire. Upon closer inspection it appears that there's a small bit of text that's in-molded rubber where the tire interfaces with the inner sidewall of the rim. Anyone ever encounter this? I was thinking shave it down very carefully with an exacto knife?

Setup:
Mavic 823
Minion dhf
Cushcore
Stans sealant

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If there's inmolded text hitting the rim, it sounds like the tire isn't all the way up into the bead seat.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How far does the text protrude that some sealant can't take care of it? Do you have sealant left in there?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I checked some other maxxis tires I have that are tubeless ready, but different models & casings, but not in molded text above the bead like that

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd try permatexx liquid gasket. Clean and scuff the tire so it sticks, maybe let it cure a bit before touching the rim so it doesn't stick to that and hopefully just fills the gaps.

maybe a layer of packing tape or saran wrap on the rim to prevent it from sticking.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Im surprised that's enough to prevent a seal. Do you think you could sand it smooth?
Yeah if the sealant won't stop that from leaking, will it actually seal a real puncture?

Are you sure that's where its leaking from?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Will not work as a tubeless tire. Drilling a second-valve hole into my LG1r rims for the mod on Procore was to lock a tube presta and then a tubeless presta and avoid the clogged device Schwalbe and Syntace designed. Tires have been 2.5 DHF Single Comp. which are not TR; in Vermont these would just get soft. In Florida, these went flat. TR 3C DD DHF is back to holding air, the DHRII is not TR and worked really well for a day of riding. Is now flat.

The bead needs that interface or else it gets lapped to the hook on the rim, kinda since it is not a gearset, and steadily looses pressure.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Im surprised that's enough to prevent a seal. Do you think you could sand it smooth?
It's the only thing immediately obvious to me that I'm aware that looks like it would prevent a seal. My concern with sanding is it could potentially thin out the surrounding area.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
these are just tires i had sitting around for my DH bike (which doesn't get ridden much these days).

also, i'm not entirely sure maxxis makes the DH casing minion as tubeless ready for 26"

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Will it seal without the Cuchcore? I had a problem getting my TR forekaster to seal around the bead with a tannus armour installed. I ended up breaking the beads down, squirting sealant around the outside of them then airing it up. On the second round of doing this it sealed and has been fine since.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Will it seal without the Cuchcore? I had a problem getting my TR forekaster to seal around the bead with a tannus armour installed. I ended up breaking the beads down, squirting sealant around the outside of them then airing it up. On the second round of doing this it sealed and has been fine since.
didn't actually try it without cushcore, laced the wheel then tried to set it all up. been busy and haven't faffed with it for a few days.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Just fooking sand it.

I just converted some supermoto wheels to toobless with extremez tape.
Some small scratches and nicks in the rim bead caused leaks (no sealant) I ended up appling jb weld to the pitts and gouges and sanding smooth. Been holding the sample pressure for a week now.

My point from my unrelated related story.
Beads hate sharp intertuptions...

So sand that mfer, with some 120 grit then 220, you'll be golden.

Funny story long ago when I first tried tubless
823 and minions, I'd use a syringe of sealant and drizzle it round the beat before it seated. To "glue them on"

No I don't do that any more lol..
But I did it that way for quite a while.

Just did it because thats also what I did on my nutech tubliss setup on the 450 to make sure it sealed.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
update: i applied some RTV silicon to the affected area the other day, let it dry. it did reduce the leak, but its not gone, so i'm gonna apply some more, as well as another dose of stan's goo just to be sure.

@englertracing i inspected the rim before lacing, no sharp spots or scratches.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So aired it up and sprayed water on the bead. Leaking the whole way around. Popped the bead into the channel, no sealant getting into the bead bed on the rim (probably bc of the CC). opted to mount a michelin wild rock'r2 instead. not my first choice for DH use, but none of my DH tires are tubeless, but i think it'll be ok with the CC.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So aired it up and sprayed water on the bead. Leaking the whole way around. Popped the bead into the channel, no sealant getting into the bead bed on the rim (probably bc of the CC). opted to mount a michelin wild rock'r2 instead. not my first choice for DH use, but none of my DH tires are tubeless, but i think it'll be ok with the CC.
I had a schwabby that wasn't tubeless that I ran that way, it would leak quite a bit in the same manner. I could get it to work with a TON of sealant, but it just wasn't worth it in the end, so that kind of reflects my experience with one. On the other hand, my original 45nrth D5s were "not tubeless" and have worked perfectly that way, in addition to some summer panaracer "fat" tires.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had a schwabby that wasn't tubeless that I ran that way, it would leak quite a bit in the same manner. I could get it to work with a TON of sealant, but it just wasn't worth it in the end, so that kind of reflects my experience with one. On the other hand, my original 45nrth D5s were "not tubeless" and have worked perfectly that way, in addition to some summer panaracer "fat" tires.
yea, i figured it'd be maybe a 50% chance it'd work since its not a tubeless tire. i've gotten other non-TR maxxis tires to work tubeless, but not all of them.

i have a spare 823 rim, so i mounted it on that without CC just to experiment, same issue with leaking. i'm gonna try a few things, right now i've got the bead seated, and ran some stans around the tire/rim interface on the exterior. gonna let that set a bit and see if it works.

regardless, this weekend is the last for the DH bike park, so its the perfect time for my first day of DH for the year. the michy held air overnight, no leaks (it had previously been run tubeless), so i should be good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have a spare 823 rim, so i mounted it on that without CC just to experiment, same issue with leaking. i'm gonna try a few things, right now i've got the bead seated, and ran some stans around the tire/rim interface on the exterior. gonna let that set a bit and see if it works.
it mostly worked, but still a few leaks. i'll try adding a bit more and see if that fixes the last leaks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
it mostly worked, but still a few leaks. i'll try adding a bit more and see if that fixes the last leaks.
That's what's nice about making your own sealant, you can vary the ratios and put more latex in for initial seating, etc.