Quantcast

Ode to the Leatt.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Not sure if it completely saved me or not but evidenced by massive rocks on either side of the trail I'd venture to say it did it's job.

brain damage

backstory- After riding the lifts at a local resort for the day we decided to do another run on a trail a liftie told us about. With only vague directions and description of the features we gave it a go. The jumps are not that big but the one that got me was the last, a fair bit kickier that the others. Overshot the landing to nose-case-otb. Bad day, haven't touched any of my bikes since.

watch around 6:32 unless you want to see a bunch of helmet cam pointed at front tire action.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How long were you out? I'm assuming that you got a CT scan and the whole bit? I would seriously make a point of not riding for a while until you can be confident that any swelling and residual swelling is gone.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
dude was ouuuuut!!! Im sorry, but I think its kinda stupid to hit jumps on a track you've never ridden before, un less your being guided by someone who's done it before, more so if it's one of those last runs in your day... good thing you had protection on, don't let it happen again.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
yeah I can't thank my Leatt enough from the crash I had two years ago in France, OTB and into the dirt over the last jump in a race into the finish area. Ended up bruising the muscle sack around my heart, stage3 separation of my right shoulder, and that was it. I can still walk, still ride, thanks to the Leatt without a doubt.

Thankfully you are ok too dude.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Do I see right that you are on a Revolt? .......must.....not.....make....bucking....joke...... :D

Seriously, do as Joker said and have it checked!!!! Glad the Leatt saved you.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
If you come up to a buddy on the trail and they are completely out, What's the proper thing to do?

I understand you don't want to move them in the event of spinal injuries and if you have another person there you should send them down the hill for help.. but what else?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
dude was ouuuuut!!! Im sorry, but I think its kinda stupid to hit jumps on a track you've never ridden before, un less your being guided by someone who's done it before, more so if it's one of those last runs in your day... good thing you had protection on, don't let it happen again.
It certainly wasn't the wisest decision I've ever made but was feeling good on the bike that day. You know how that goes. Joker this happened 3 weeks ago and I haven't touched my bike since. iRider I would say poor technique and an oddly shaped jump had more to do with it than suspension design ever could.

Edit karpi I'm not sure what you mean by not letting it happen again? As far as I can tell injuries are part of this game we play.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you come up to a buddy on the trail and they are completely out, What's the proper thing to do?

I understand you don't want to move them in the event of spinal injuries and if you have another person there you should send them down the hill for help.. but what else?
absolutely don't move them. unless you witness the accident always assume worst case - spinal injury. and even in the event you do witness the accident, its generally good practice to assume worst case, unless they are conscious and obviously moving.

make an obvious block to the trail to prevent a possible accident with other descending riders.

check vitals

wait for further assistance - this is why I ***ALWAYS*** ride with a cell phone unless i'm at a lift access resort. if i were going somewhere massive like whistler, i'd probably have one on me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What Jon said - don't move them and call for help. Try to keep them from moving when they come to because they might not know if they have additional injuries. If they are having a seizure do nothing other than protect them from bashing their head into the ground. If they have a helmet on, just pad the ground with a shirt; don't do anything stupid like try to put a stick in their mouth - they can't swallow their tongue.

No matter what they say, when someone wrecks hard enough for a concussion they need to go to the hospital for a CT scan. Also do not let them go to sleep for any reason - if they have a clot from the injury, sleeping will lower their blood pressure and reduce the ability to push the clot through if it gets stuck somewhere. Don't let them drive either - but that's a gimmie.

It's always useful to know the nearest access roads to your trails. I came across a rider that fell and cracked his skull (later dying) and it took the fire dept almost 1hr to get there. The other riders couldn't describe where they were in relation to the nearest road, so the FD didn't know where to go. This occurred at suburban park less than 1/8th of a mile from the nearest road too.

Oh, and if only one person brings their phone, make sure that everyone knows the access code if it locks.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
It certainly wasn't the wisest decision I've ever made but was feeling good on the bike that day. You know how that goes. Joker this happened 3 weeks ago and I haven't touched my bike since. iRider I would say poor technique and an oddly shaped jump had more to do with it than suspension design ever could.

Edit karpi I'm not sure what you mean by not letting it happen again? As far as I can tell injuries are part of this game we play.
I was just trying to say, don't ride things you havent ridden before if you don't know whats coming up. I can say this from personal experience. I hit a big jump at a local trail a couple of years ago that I hadnt ridden in about a year, but I was pretty sure it was as it used to be and hit it full speed. Since I didnt check it out... surprise surprise, somebody had modified the thing and I did a huge otb... as in 90 feet on my back and shoulders! Huge burn all over my back.

Its up to you what you do :thumb: I guess I learned from my mistake and one to pass the knowledge down, didnt mean to come out harsh.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've been with friends when they've knocked themselves out cold, and seeing your friend laying in such a state absolutely sucks. The last bit of that video is scary.

Glad you're alright spocomp.