Quantcast

Ode To The Unsung Hero: Classic US Breakfast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Canadian breakfast diner places are the same.

But Jesus christ has the price gone up in the last decade or so. Most places around here, you're looking at $15 for food and coffee.

I want those tiny Midwest hole in the wall places that serve actual crisp hash browns, the rest and coffee for $6.

Also don't forget the real maple syrup, that brown water stuff doesn't fly.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I would go three rounds for a Waffle House All-Star.

There was a place outside Basic School in Stafford VA that did the best mid-southern-atlantic style breakfast of all time. I still dream of their sausage patties smashed fresh onto the griddle. It went out of business of course, so despite frequenting the area for the rest of my life I am denied.

I've devoted myself to learning the art of a consistent egg poaching during my year in Pakistan. Progress is mixed, but fresh eggs would make it much easier I think.

Oh, man... this reminds me of this clip:

"Looks like a chopped up ferret."

:rofl:
That's hilarious. But I think that'd be as alien to half of America as it is to the Brits.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
65% of the time I order the huevos rancheros every time… But a classic American breakfast is still a classic. Actually went to a Denny’s and had breakfast for dinner with my Dad a few days ago. It’s what he wanted after melanoma surgery, who am I to deny the old man? I had the southwest skillet, it was tasty. He had a classic American breakfast, I ate his pancakes.

65% of the time I order the huevos rancheros every time… But a classic American breakfast is still a classic. Actually went to a Denny’s and had breakfast for dinner with my Dad a few days ago. It’s what he wanted after melanoma surgery, who am I to deny the old man? I had the southwest skillet, it was tasty. He had a classic American breakfast, I ate his pancakes.
If you're ever in Middlebury, Vermont, go to Rosie's.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is what breakfast has turned into, at most places here.

I got a pretty standard omelet. Girlfriend got eggs Benedict, but some sort of fancy version with chorizo (normal eggs benedict was $16.50).

The price of the food is one thing, but $6 for coffee is a ripoff. They shouldn't even ask, just pour coffee when we sit and have that included with the meal. :mad:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Canadian breakfast diner places are the same.

But Jesus christ has the price gone up in the last decade or so. Most places around here, you're looking at $15 for food and coffee.

I want those tiny Midwest hole in the wall places that serve actual crisp hash browns, the rest and coffee for $6.

Also don't forget the real maple syrup, that brown water stuff doesn't fly.
Is that pea bacon bullshit normal in Canada? I got fooled by the term "bacon" when I was working in Windsor. That abomination is a crime against humanity.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is that pea bacon bullshit normal in Canada? I got fooled by the term "bacon" when I was working in Windsor. That abomination is a crime against humanity.
Windsor might as well be a different country.

Around here bacon is bacon.

If someone mentions Canadian bacon, they either mean ham or back bacon (which can be cured or brined and then fried).

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Peameal bacon is the same loin cut as Back bacon, but they are cured differently.
Back bacon or Canadian bacon is smoked, Peameal is unsmoked but pickled in a sugar / salt solution before rolling in cornmeal ( used to be spit yellow peas back in the grandparents time )
Peameal bacon is mostly an Ontario thing and it is everywhere. Finding real Back bacon in a normal grocery store is like Chicken's teeth....rare as fuck.

I hate that fucking cheap-assed pickled cornmeal encrusted crap.

Now @canadmos has the right idea on the real maple syrup. Fuck that brown corn syrup.

1712942860845.jpeg

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
When done correctly, biscuits and gravy are absolutely delicious...
I had biscuits and gravy in central Florida Monday morning that were delightful. You can’t get good southern cooking here in NY.
Sadly I’ve recently come to the conclusion that eggs yolks that aren’t set make my butthole play squirt poops.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have to admit that the best biscuits and gravy I've had are my own. I won't even try restaurant versions any more 'cause I'm not prepared for that level of disappointment.
I make them here at home. Have not had the real thing since I was a kid in Florida so no idea if what I make even resembles what it should be. All I know is I like it.
Apparently, the problem with Northern biscuits is the flour. We have exclusively hard wheat, and the best biscuit flour is Soft wheat which is available in teh souths.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I make them here at home. Have not had the real thing since I was a kid in Florida so no idea if what I make even resembles what it should be. All I know is I like it.
Apparently, the problem with Northern biscuits is the flour. We have exclusively hard wheat, and the best biscuit flour is Soft wheat which is available in teh souths.
You can't get "pastry flour"? What sort of uncivilized nation are you living in?!? :confused: :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You can't get "pastry flour"? What sort of uncivilized nation are you living in?!? :confused: :D
Ya, it is better, used to be a mix of hard and soft, not sure if it still is. But from what I hear, still not the same. Oh, well, the fam and I happen to like the hockey pucks I make and the gravy to soften them to edibility ain't too bad either. :fie: :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ya, it is better, used to be a mix of hard and soft, not sure if it still is. But from what I hear, still not the same. Oh, well, the fam and I happen to like the hockey pucks I make and the gravy to soften them to edibility ain't too bad either. :fie: :D
My trick for excellent biscuits is to have everything really cold. Incorporate cold butter into cold dry ingredients, then stick that bowl into the freezer for 30m or so. Add the cold liquid ingredients, mix them gently until they *barely* hold together and pat them gently about 1/2" thick and cut them, get them quickly on a tray and into the hot oven.

Of course I'm not dealing with uncivilized flour. :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My trick for excellent biscuits is to have everything really cold. Incorporate cold butter into cold dry ingredients, then stick that bowl into the freezer for 30m or so. Add the cold liquid ingredients, mix them gently until they *barely* hold together and pat them gently about 1/2" thick and cut them, get them quickly on a tray and into the hot oven.

Of course I'm not dealing with uncivilized flour. :D
I'm with you on the cold. I have a marble sheet that I also use. It, along with dry ingredients, butter and grater go in the freezer for an hour. Wet in the fridge. So nothing gets a chance to heat up, I grate the butter into the dry bowl then fold in the wet. All of this is done with the stainless bowl sitting on the frozen marble slab. Then it gets turned out onto the floured slab and GENTLY kneaded out with my palm into a 1" thick sheet, then folded into thirds, then thirds again so now you have a cubish ball of 9 layers. Repeat the knead and fold one more time so you have ball of 54 total layers, knead out to 1" thick and cut. I never got the hang of a glass or ring, so I just cut mine into squares? with a pastry scraper and onto the sheet pan they go. Heathen that I am. They seem to come out decently flaky rising up to about 21/2 inches. I 'm happy with that.

I have tried your way, and they end up more like a scone, a bit crumbly without the loft and layers. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I'm with you on the cold. I have a marble sheet that I also use. It, along with dry ingredients, butter and grater go in the freezer for an hour. Wet in the fridge. So nothing gets a chance to heat up, I grate the butter into the dry bowl then fold in the wet. All of this is done with the stainless bowl sitting on the frozen marble slab. Then it gets turned out onto the floured slab and GENTLY kneaded out with my palm into a 1" thick sheet, then folded into thirds, then thirds again so now you have a cubish ball of 9 layers. Repeat the knead and fold one more time so you have ball of 54 total layers, knead out to 1" thick and cut. I never got the hang of a glass or ring, so I just cut mine into squares? with a pastry scraper and onto the sheet pan they go. Heathen that I am. They seem to come out decently flaky rising up to about 21/2 inches. I 'm happy with that.
Those definitely don't sound like pucks. Sounds pretty damned good. I think you were just taking the piss, weren't ya?

And the description of what I do *was* for the lemon scones I make somewhat regularly. My biscuits get a couple fold-overs for some layering, and they turn out similar to what you're describing.

I'd say stay calm and carry on! :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
God damn, the motel we stayed at in Ohio for a wedding in the before times had some amazing biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

I'm not sure how we all came back alive from that trip, from that alone and plus the amount of beer that was drank.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Only if you heat it in the oven to make it crispy. Anything else, you can go straight to hell!
I recently blew my brothers mind with the microwave then frying pan method of breakfast pizza
Guess it's off to hell with me! You don't even need the microwave. All you need is a pan and a lid (or foil). Right back to crispy on the bottom and melty on top. :drool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Guess it's off to hell with me! You don't even need the microwave. All you need is a pan and a lid (or foil). Right back to crispy on the bottom and melty on top. :drool:
Personally I just toss it into my convection toaster oven and it does it perfectly, but we were working with limited resources at the time.