Quantcast

ODI grip extraction

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I got one of those pesky little allen fittings screwed on too tight and it seems as though its stripped. Any ideas how to get it off without messing my bars up?

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Same thing happened to me. Just get some drill bits( i bought a pack of 10-15 cheap titanium ones that brought me back 10$). Put the drill straight down on the screw, badabing badaboom straight to the moon!

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Grid a slot and crank it out with a flat head screwdriver or use a small EZ out.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Helpless without rob to wrench on your bike huh?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Those things are pretty annoying.
You want to ride somewhere this weekend?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I had this problem too. I put the end of the grip in a vice and very gently tightened it so that the two open ends of the collar came together slightly. This took enough tension off the bolt that I was able to get it out, even with a slightly rounded head. Might be worth a shot before you go at it with a dremel, but don't go nuts with the vice in case it damages your bars.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
I use a version of MarkDH's method, I put a rag over the grip and use vice grips to pinch the clamp then I can usually remove even the worst stripped bolt. If that doesn't work I usually hacksaw the bolt to try and save the clamp.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Went to the store and got the some JB weld and Im waiting for it to cure while I work (there is a benefit of having heat lamps and acetone all over the place) and when I finish it should be good to go. I would try the vise grip idea but at this point anything for the key to grip to is gone. Probably should use a little more grease next time.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Went to the store and got the some JB weld and Im waiting for it to cure while I work (there is a benefit of having heat lamps and acetone all over the place) and when I finish it should be good to go. I would try the vise grip idea but at this point anything for the key to grip to is gone. Probably should use a little more grease next time.
So let me get this straight? Of all the suggestions in here, you took PSP's advice? :rofl: Next time seriously just clamp it with vise grips and spin the screw back out with either a larger allen wrench go from metric to standard and that should give you enough bite to back it out with no pressure on the clamp.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
So it turns out that didn't work. Now we try the vice grip idea and see where we get with that. I am willing to try just about anything but I want to be able to salvage the clamp.

What if nothing will grab and its pretty circular at this point?

Last edited:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
If things really get desperate, go to your local hardware store and buy an extractor bit. You basically drill a pilot hole into the bolt and then put the extractor in and the bolt should spin right out. I've gotten out many a sheared bolt where there was no head to speak of. Works like butter. Just make sure you get the right size. In this case, really tiny.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I just take a dremel to the clamp, I was so frustrated at that point.

Course, watch out, the clamp will explode and pieces may end up imbedded in your ceiling...