Quantcast

ODI Snap Cap end plugs

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I run a pair of Odi Cross Trainers on my trail bike which need replacement. Just bought new grips and wanted to swap the Snap Cap™ plugs - to no success.

These little bastards won't come off the worn lock rings. I tried to widen the end cap by twisting a flat bladed screwdriver between the slit od the cap and force the plug out, didn't help a thing. Any ideas?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Did you remove the screws before spreading the slot with the screwdriver?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@4130biker Yes, Sir. To no effect.

@canadmos Tried this. Unfortunately the lock ring comes loose from the grip but not the plug from the lock ring :confused:. I almost ran the screwdriver into my palm when the ring detached itself.

I also tried to grip the lock ring with pliers while sticking an allen key up from behind. Guess what, no effect. Those plugs are a PITA. Weird thing is I can rotate them easily on the lock rings but not detach them :eek:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
don't run the screw driver through your hand, I did that with an awl a few weeks back/a month ago, it hurt like hell.

They just snap in place, if you're buying new ones just give her some hell

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Will try to avoid to impale my hand, thx.

The new grips came without Snap Caps™, happen to be Lizard Skins I got for really cheap. The Lizards use Odi lock rings but turn up with ordinary soft plastic bar plugs. The lock rings have the little grove, therefore being ready for the Snap Caps™.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Will try to avoid to impale my hand, thx.

The new grips came without Snap Caps™, happen to be Lizard Skins I got for really cheap. The Lizards use Odi lock rings but turn up with ordinary soft plastic bar plugs. The lock rings have the little grove, therefore being ready for the Snap Caps™.
Yeah, I think I was asleep when I read this earlier, I had everything backwards.

Why not just use your old lock rings with the new grips and not have to take them off?
win?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Why not just use your old lock rings with the new grips and not have to take them off?
There is no real reason not to but the old ones are pretty battered and scratched and who not likes a shiny new stuff look? :D

And just because I want to get those little beasts off! I'm the boss! They have to understand. :bonk:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Thin flat blade screwdriver between the ring and the cap, perpendicular to the bolt slot, while you hold the ring vertically against a the bench with your fingers out of the way. Get it in there and give the blade a twist.

If all else fails:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
And the winner is... @4130biker ! The second advice was the deal and actually exactly the same that Odi sent me via e-mail.

Btw, the booze/bike hole:

Sorry for the bad quality mobile phone pic disaster, but one can work it out. 2 boxes of beer in the front on the right and lots of boxes full of various wine. Only half of the wine visible.

Besides my Pitch, my Singletrailer kid's trailer, my '06 Glory, front wheel of wife's Cube AMS, my red missile aka S-Works Tarmac SL3 below the rug and lots of stuff like tires, wheels, parts, skis, shit...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
And the winner is... @4130biker ! The second advice was the deal and actually exactly the same that Odi sent me via e-mail.

Btw, the booze/bike hole:

Sorry for the bad quality mobile phone pic disaster, but one can work it out. 2 boxes of beer in the front on the right and lots of boxes full of various wine. Only half of the wine visible.

Besides my Pitch, my Singletrailer kid's trailer, my '06 Glory, front wheel of wife's Cube AMS, my red missile aka S-Works Tarmac SL3 below the rug and lots of stuff like tires, wheels, parts, skis, shit...
Glad you got it! mmmmm, booze and bike hole. All you need is a jack shack and a bong shed, and you'll be set! ;)