Quantcast

Odyssey Plastic Pedals question

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
sooo, i've been using plastic pedals for a long long time.
i always grind on my right side, my right pedal.
so basicaly i have a few perfect left pedals and a few destroyed right pedals.

anyone out there in the same situation as me, BUT you grind on the left pedal?

what to swap your extra right ones for my extra left ones?

did that make sense?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
The best solution is to leave one side of the pedal flat and put METAL pins int he other side. just do this buy buying some threaded pins and drill a hole slightly smaller then the pin itself and screw it in.

then you get a pedal that is light, easy to grind with, and grippy

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
The best solution is to leave one side of the pedal flat and put METAL pins int he other side. just do this buy buying some threaded pins and drill a hole slightly smaller then the pin itself and screw it in.

Damn, I don't think I would have ever thought of that. Might just have to try it out. Ive been thinking of getting a pair of plastics, but now there are new animal hamilton plastics and I'm kinda torn between those and the odysseys.. (no thread derailing intended) but anyone know anything about the hamiltons?

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Drilling into the plastic of those pedals would worry me a little bit. They aren't designed to have those weak spots that the holes would create. But who knows, give it a shot and see if it holds up.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I saw a plastic pair of pedals with steel pins on cielinski's bike at Interbike last year. They looked really slick. I'm waiting for those to come out before going plastic.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

huh
i'll try the drilling trick, since i have a few plastics with zero pins on either side, there is nothing to lose if i ruin it.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Just curious but couldn't you just disassemble the pedal / spindle and insert the old spindle from an old right side pedal into a new left side pedal?

The key difference being the direction of the threads.... if you just re-used the spindle i would think you could pack it into a new pedal. I don't know though its just an idea. I've never tried.