Quantcast

Odyssey Twisted Plastic pedals..

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
what's the word on these things? i like the idea and they are way, way cheap..i want to start doing some pedal moves so ya. big james seems to dig em, but how's the grip? i would be using these as a set for strictly street use but still want some traction. think they are worth a try?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hmmm... didn't know anyone other than Walmart even had plastic pedals. I guess they're cheap($11?) so if they DID shatter you're not out much, but it would still suck! Lose some weight too...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've had a pair of the regular twisted platforms for a long time... like 6 years. Theyre more or less my back up pair when I break other pedals, but I've ridden them tons. I'd buy another pair in a heart beat. I dunno about the plastic version though

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I could easily mix up some light grind plates for those, bolt/ziptie them right to the reflector holes. I'll have to buy some too, to make them, but I'd throw some together for like 5 or 10 bucks or something if anyone's interested. That would keep the good "pins" up all the time, too...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Now... think can these things take a hit? I keep seeing them mentioned among the flatlanders. I'm taking that to mean they MAY be a more finesse-friendly pedal. Hell, the 1st gen Lexan Atomlab pedals didn't even live all that long. Wow... I'd forgotten all about those things!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
from what i understand these pedals are for smooth park and street riders looking to shed weight but also have a grind worth pedal that slides smoother. im thinking of giving them a shot on my 24 dm

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I wonder how they actually are for traction? I just discovered that with a set of 5.10s and a pedal with some threaded pins, I can get up 3' ledges... might just be a bandaid for bad technique, but it works for me for now. That, and if they got wet...

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
they're in the mail for me...
i've heard people liking them after having them for over 6 months. i've had metal pedals i spent 4x the cost on break on me in under 6 months.
who cares if it breaks, its only $11.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Yes a broken off pedal on a big double could be no so nice. Not to mention some nice plastic shards for your leg when it breaks.
yeah, what was it NWD 234973094875093?? where Lenosky's NYC pedal spindle snaps on that boosty wall ride and he just coasts it out with feet dragging and nuts on the seat and hands still on the bars... haha... not good.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
yeah, what was it NWD 234973094875093?? where Lenosky's NYC pedal spindle snaps on that boosty wall ride and he just coasts it out with feet dragging and nuts on the seat and hands still on the bars... haha... not good.

Damnit, you just made me cringe all over again. I hate that part! Hasn't he had quite a few shots of busted pedals/squished nuts? He IS a large feller...

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
jeeze. now that i think about it, that foot dragging move looks alot like when i put my dog on my bike. i feel like an a$$#ole

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, but the spindle is still steel. The body might snap more easily than a metal one but your foot won't catastrophically come off unless you snap the spindle, which is the same as other pedals.