Quantcast

OEM offset bushings?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
This may have (i.e. probably) been covered in another thread, but in a rare moment of sobriety, I wondered if bike manufacturers would ever consider including offset bushing shock hardware with frames? It seems like it would be a relatively inexpensive to offer the customer a little more geo "tunability" without having to screw around with an expensive headset and gimbles. I would think they could be easily manufactured on a large scale, thus making them significantly less expensive than the current after market offerings. I understand some frames already have geo modifying chips and shock mount holes, but it the case of my Tr450 and Spitfire, it's a bit of a bitch to actually do it (altho the Spitfire isn't that much work to be fair). Obviously the other issues might be tire clearance and shock rate changes, but so far I haven't of any problems with the after market versions.

Ok, back to drinking...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I understand some frames already have geo modifying chips and shock mount holes, but it the case of my Tr450 and Spitfire, it's a bit of a bitch to actually do it (altho the Spitfire isn't that much work to be fair).
Changing shock reducers is, in most cases, a bigger pain than swapping the chips around to adjust geo. Idiot.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Maybe have both then? That way I can get my AM bike to the proper specs (62* HA, 11.5" BB, 49" wheelbase).

But honestly, I'd rather change out the reducers than screw around with the chips on my 450 - albeit, that may be a bad example as most systems are a lot easier to access.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
But honestly, I'd rather change out the reducers than screw around with the chips on my 450 - albeit, that may be a bad example as most systems are a lot easier to access.
You'd rather unbolt the shock, take it out, press the old reducers out, press the new reducers in, and bolt the shock back in? That seems like more work to me. Or at least as much.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Yeah, I guess you're right, as taking the shock off on that bike is also a PITA. Altho switching out the chips looks to be every bit as unpleasant IMO.

In end, this just means I'm lazy, which I suppose I already knew.