Quantcast

Off the sauce....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Those of you who have given up soda, what do you drink instead?

Water is getting old.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Iced green tea.

Soymilk.

Massive amounts of coffee.

Unfiltered apple juice diluted 50% with sparkling water. (excellent soda replacement)

The blood of 100 captive virgins slain by shards of pure crystal then drained into a giant platinum chalice encrusted with the teeth of kings that I have watched DIE like dogs at my iron feet!! (add a dash of honey to taste..)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Iced green tea.

Soymilk.

Massive amounts of coffee.

Unfiltered apple juice diluted 50% with sparkling water. (excellent soda replacement)

The blood of 100 captive virgins slain by shards of pure crystal then drained into a giant platinum chalice encrusted with the teeth of kings that I have watched DIE like dogs at my iron feet!! (add a dash of honey to taste..)
Are you bleeding the virgins yourself? A lot of unscrupulous virgin blood farmers are just crushing up rats and calling it '100 captive virgins slain by shards of pure crystal blood'.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Mmmm virgins.

I quit drinking sodas a while back too. (Well for the most part anyway - I cheat everyonce and while). At work I just drink water. At home I drink fruit juice or tea. I'm really not sure that most fruit juice is any better for you than a can of soda if you actually bother to read the container. Most of it is fruit flavored sugar water. I try to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup if I can help it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Are you bleeding the virgins yourself? A lot of unscrupulous virgin blood farmers are just crushing up rats and calling it '100 captive virgins slain by shards of pure crystal blood'.
I'm always in the room, although sometimes I get a minion to do it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Tee was a good transition, now I just drink either water or beer pretty much. Orange juice from time to time.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I like juices, iced green tea, and Gatorade all watered down to 50/50.

Recently at work instead of just drinking water or the above if available, I've been drinking "Zingers to Go" in the green tea flavors (blueberry and peach). They sell them at stop and shop.

I use to drink soy but switched to almond milk (Blue Diamond - easier to find and cheaper) and Oatmilk (Pacificfoods for a change) both in original flavor since more and more research is showing soy is not so good for you. I don't actually drink though, I only use it for cereal.

I still use the real cream for yogurt, ice cream and coffee. Kefir is good to drink occasionally (yogurt smoothie in modern terminology) or maybe I mean shredded Kafir smoothies like you mentioned above, I always get them mixed up when I'm at the store:twitch:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Have you tried soda? Its a pretty good substitute for water, tasty too!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Stevew, have you given up soda because of the calories, or just because you are sick of soda?

I drink a couple of two liters of Diet Sprite every week. Zero calories in that and it mixes well with vodka. :D Aside from that, it's strictly water for me....probably 200 or so ounces a day.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Water And couple of coffee a day.

In the summer, I drink about half water and half gatorade.

Some days I need some flavor so I have soda, koolaid or juice.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
This might sound dumb, but do you have good tasting water where you are? My water is really crisp and tasty, but I've lived in some communities where it tasted like it came from a cow pond.

Here's some interesting info on diet sodas. Just because you aren't consuming sugar doesn't mean you are off the hook for ill effects.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/107/108476.htm

I also try to avoid high fructose corn syrup. It's scary how that ingredients is in just about everything.

gg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Those of you who have given up soda, what do you drink instead?

Water is getting old.
diet lemonade. diet soda w/splenda. an occasional glass of oj or other juice in the morning.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I also try to avoid high fructose corn syrup. It's scary how that ingredients is in just about everything.

gg
Yes, I'm afraid I've brcome one of those label reading people in the supermarket.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Tea, Good Juice.
My favorite drink though is Chocolate Milk, I've found a few really good ones too that have only unprossesed cane sugar and all that good stuff. Fresh milk products brand is my favorite, really freaking delicouse. I've also had good chocolate almond milk befor too, for you non dary fools

Most important for me is trying to avoid anything processed, sugars white bleached flowers etc. for drinks and food.

I also have been trying to cut out high fructose corn surup. It almost seems impossible.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I went to the dentist yesterday, another cavity > I need to drink less soda!

I dont like coffee or diet anything. And pretty much the only tea I drink is green tea.

I drink 1-2 cans soda at work mostly being its cheap and has caffine. Any recomendations for something else that has plenty of caffine?

ncxj

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Garner, NC
MILK! and Decaf sweet tea when im at home.
when I go out to eat I usually get water, and occasionally will get sweet tea (not usually decaf 'round here) when killin the BBQ. Its amazing how much more I can notice caffiene now that I rarely drink it. Makes me jumpy as a whore in church.

Also was wondering why yall quit drinking cokes, and isnt it kinda counter productive to replace them with coffee?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I went to the dentist yesterday, another cavity > I need to drink less soda!

I dont like coffee or diet anything. And pretty much the only tea I drink is green tea.

I drink 1-2 cans soda at work mostly being its cheap and has caffine. Any recomendations for something else that has plenty of caffine?
Chai tea.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Green tea has about 75% of the caffeine content of a Coke or a Pepsi (if you're a girlie man and like Pepsi, that is ;)), so that's not a bad choice actually. Buy a big mug and chuck two bags in there. Coffee, of course, has a ton in it and you can try diluting it with flavoring stuff if you just don't like straight coffee - one 8oz cup has like 250% the caffeine of one can of soda, so you don't actually have to drink much.

Have you tried some of the other tea varieties? Black tea is like coffee in its appeal (kinda strong and bitter), but there are dozens and dozens of tea varieties out there, even varieties among black tea. A little honey might make it palatable, too.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Also was wondering why yall quit drinking cokes, and isnt it kinda counter productive to replace them with coffee?
I just thought it was too much sugar. If I make my own tea or coffee I can add as little or as much as I like.

A little quick research shows that your typical 12 oz soda has around 150 calories, that's roughly 10 teaspoons of sugar. I'd guess most of us don't put 10 teaspoons of sugar in our coffee or tea.

For example, when I make a pitcher of sweet tea, I use 1/2 cup per 3/4 gallon pitcher. That's about 390 calories per 96 fluid ounces (4 cals per oz.) versus 150 cals per 12 ozs (or 12.5 per oz.) for soda. That's a 75% reduction in calories and it doesn't taste like ass-flavored artificial sweetener chemicals.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A little quick research shows that your typical 12 oz soda has around 150 calories, that's roughly 10 teaspoons of sugar. I'd guess most of us don't put 10 teaspoons of sugar in our coffee or tea.
Also, you have to take caffeine quantities into account. A cup of coffee contains 2-3x the amount of caffeine as a Coke. So, if you're drinking it to get a caffeine boost, you would need to drink 36 ounces (3 cans) of Coke to get the same caffeine kick as a cup of coffee.

So, you're up to 450 calories and 30 teaspoons of sugar. Ugh.

One cup of coffee is sure a lot better than 3 cans of soda every day. Heck, if all you want is the caffeine, drink half a cup and you're still getting a better boost than a soda, with only 4oz of coffee.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've always wondered, as sugar and artificial sweeteners are relatively expensive (relative to water), why some of the soda makers don't figure out a way to make a tasty reduced calorie soda simply by cutting the amount of sugar they put in the soda in the first place? They would win from a monetarily perspective and consumers would win from a caloric / health perspective.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I drink alot of diluted Orange Juice......3-4 parts water 1 part OJ...

Other than that i drink water......too many health benefits to list.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've always wondered, as sugar and artificial sweeteners are relatively expensive (relative to water), why some of the soda makers don't figure out a way to make a tasty reduced calorie soda simply by cutting the amount of sugar they put in the soda in the first place? They would win from a monetarily perspective and consumers would win from a caloric / health perspective.
There is Coke Zero.

Comparing the ingredients of that and Coke Classic was interesting.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
I have been drinking generic crystal light at work, they are pretty cool i just pick up a case of water and a box of the single serve packets and leave em in the workshop. I think i just paid $8 at target for 24 waters and a box of mix which yields about 12 bottles, makes it pretty cheap, that and it has no nutritional content.
JP