Quantcast

Off to St Louis

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There's a club/bar called Ciceros near Washington University (west of STL proper) that's known for good live music. I haven't been there in years (since my brother graduated in late eighties) but it was the place for cool shows.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dan-o said:
There's a club/bar called Ciceros near Washington University (west of STL proper) that's known for good live music. I haven't been there in years (since my brother graduated in late eighties) but it was the place for cool shows.
i think i've got an Uncle Tupelo boot from Cicero's.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
i think i've got an Uncle Tupelo boot from Cicero's.
Yep, they played there constantly. I have a CD of their final show which I'm pretty sure was there as well. Cool place that had great bands and cheap beer.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Back when I used to live close to that area (gulp! almost 25 years ago) we used to drive down to Peaches Records and spend an afternoon shopping for obscure reggae vinyl. Don't know if it's still around but was fun at the time. Also used to hit some of the bars on Laclede's Landing down at the river front. There used to be quite a bit happening, you should be able to find some type of trouble to get into.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Vintage Vinyl, Euclid Records and Sound Revoltion (in that order). There was a rumor that the Schlafly brewery was opening a pub. It may be worth going to.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I remembered another one from back in the day, West End Wax. It may not be around any more, but it used to be a good store.

How long will you be there? A band from Austin called Moonlight Towers is playing at the Hi Pointe on the 18th. They played a great set in Columbia tonite.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I'm from St. Louis!!!!!

Sorry.

Make sure you go to Maggie O'Brians and get some toasted Ravioli. It's the best. Check out Soulard area. YOu might be able to catch a Hockey game and see the Blues lose. Go up in the arch. Take pictures of the old and new Busch stadium while you still can. Hell it is St. Louis. A great city. Go have some fun.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damn it was cold. didn't get out on my own much, but i will say that the downtown area seemed pretty dead. the buildings were kinda cool though. did go up in the arch today, and did the tourist A-B tour (i was one of 15, couldn't buck the group inertia...).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm back home. we went to dierdorf & hart's for dinner tues night, and i was kinda disappointed...the wine was good ('02 Bennett Lane cab from Napa) but the strip was tough and chewy; i can get a better steak @ butcher boy. wed was the conference (automation fair hosted by Rockwell, in the America Center), and we headed down to the Landing after for a couple pints of guinness @ hannagans. there was a set dinner @ thaxton's that night which was OK, but the building itself was pretty cool. a bunch of guys went to peeler bars in east st louis but i bagged. today we did the arch and the AB tour; the conference was rather small and i saw all i needed to on wed. left for the airport @ 2.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Downtown StL is boring. It is all offices and crap like that (which you now know). The Loop in U-City and the central West End are the better places to hang out.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
DNA said:
Downtown StL is boring. It is all offices and crap like that (which you now know). The Loop in U-City and the central West End are the better places to hang out.
:stupid:

There are areas of downtown that are starting to become revitalized, but they're mainly just lofts and such right now. Still no downtown shopping district like the 16th Street Mall in Denver, or club/bar area like Deep Ellum in Dallas.

Yeah, Narlus, you should have headed to the Loop. That's where Vintage Vinyl is, a few decent bars/clubs (Ciceros, Blueberry Hill, Riddles, Delmar Lounge, The Pagent) and the best damn bike shop in St. Louis, Big Shark Bikes. I wish I would have seen your post before you'd left or I'd have told you to swing by Big Shark and said "hi" to Mike (the owner) for me.