Quantcast

Off to Whistler on Friday

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Any advice for riding this time of year up there? I was there last year during high summer, but this is quite a bit later.

Mostly just wondering about the typical weather; I'm assuming it is wetter and a bit colder. Is the upper lift still open? Are the days getting pretty short? Are the bears hungry?

Last time we were there we spent a lot of time after the park closed on "A River Runs Through It", any other trails you guys would recommend?

Thanks,
f00d

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
To whet your appetite...
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129469

A bunch of us were there about two weeks ago and had an incredible time as usual. The braking bumps on A-Line were pretty burly when we were there but apparently they've buffed out and did some maintenance on most of the trails since. The Garbanzo zone should still be running but I think extended play hours are cut back some now.

Have a great time! :thumb:

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
I dont think you will have any worries bro. Whislter is fun in any kind of weather...if only it was open during ski season... :mumble: I am going to be up their next weekend as well, and the weekend after that and so on untill they close. The upper lift is open but their is no extended play. The upper lift just closes at 4 and the bottom closes at 5. Unless if i was told wrong, that should all be spot on. See you up there!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Roasted said:
As I said in that thread. Bring rain gear. Rainy season officially started this morning.
big time.....I woke up at 8ish, heard that loud steady rain, rolled over and slept till 12:30! then wandered around the village scoruing the multiple 50% sales, and some others........found a TL d2 helmet for 300 at one place.......I think I'm about to buy a new helmet finally.....hope the rain pisses itself out though.....doing tenquille via birkenhead tommorow morning, early.....and I don't like gettting wet whilst riding.....at least not as wet as I would've been this morning!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Motoking16 said:
I dont think you will have any worries bro. Whislter is fun in any kind of weather...if only it was open during ski season... :mumble: I am going to be up their next weekend as well, and the weekend after that and so on untill they close. The upper lift is open but their is no extended play. The upper lift just closes at 4 and the bottom closes at 5. Unless if i was told wrong, that should all be spot on. See you up there!
It wouldnt be any fun in the winter. The atmosphere is .,... different. Besides a-line isn't as fun on planks

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
FlipFantasia said:
big time.....I woke up at 8ish, heard that loud steady rain, rolled over and slept till 12:30! then wandered around the village scoruing the multiple 50% sales, and some others........found a TL d2 helmet for 300 at one place.......I think I'm about to buy a new helmet finally.....hope the rain pisses itself out though.....doing tenquille via birkenhead tommorow morning, early.....and I don't like gettting wet whilst riding.....at least not as wet as I would've been this morning!
for me it was

Wake up
work
24 hour race - help
merlins - I love cheap beer and waitresses
home + little rye + nwdV...=night without cable
Hopefully I can ride tommorow, ribs still kill after 5 weeks..

damp=cool
wet=wheres the rye :)

I can't wait haha

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
it was semi sunny in vancouver this morning, so decided to drive up. it was pouring when we rolled in. we opted to leave the bikes on the rack, grab lunch @ splitz & head back home. on the bright side, prior snowboards was having a factory sale & the gf picked up a sweet '06 deck at a great price. twas a lazy day, but at least i didn't have to do laundry...

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Ahh man, the rainy season. Iam goin to Whislter for the first time on the 14th-21st (from Ottawa), but it probaly won't rain then right :monkey:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
we got wet today up tenquille, very wet.....it was snow mixed with rain at the lake......lots of blowdowns via the birkenhead route.......but I now remember why it's worth it, that's one of the best dh's going.....seriously great.....I couldn't wipe the grin oiff my face.....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
While there are a lot of thefts, I would love to know the percapita stats w/ visitors. I doubt it would be very skewed from a normal big city.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Roasted said:
While there are a lot of thefts, I would love to know the percapita stats w/ visitors. I doubt it would be very skewed from a normal big city.
when i was there (july) there had already been 80+ stolen bikes from the base of the hill alone. the RCMP admitted it was an extremely serious problem, and that atleast one bike per day goes missing.

you want to risk it, be my guest but chances are, your bike will get jacked.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
S.G.D said:
when i was there (july) there had already been 80+ stolen bikes from the base of the hill alone. the RCMP admitted it was an extremely serious problem, and that atleast one bike per day goes missing.

you want to risk it, be my guest but chances are, your bike will get jacked.
Would still be interested to see those numbers vs number of people visiting.

Hey I don't take the chance, just a curiousity :)