Quantcast

Off topic, MP3 players

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
i've got a regular dell DJ and I like it a lot. Mines one of the first gen ones so its like a brick but it works great and has taken a pretty serious beating.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If you want the best audio quality, get the Rio Karma.
If you want to be trendy, get an iPod.
If you want the widest and most useful and open functionality, get an iRiver H320.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Changleen said:
If you want the best audio quality, get the Rio Karma.
If you want to be trendy, get an iPod.
If you want the widest and most useful and open functionality, get an iRiver H320.
Sounds like you haven't actually used a Karma or iPod, cause the are both overall better audio players than the iRiver units for different reasons but it really depends on your needs - see DAPreview.com - the main editor ranks the iRiver unit below them too. I would say they are definately better than most other players, including the Creative/Dell units...

It is nice to have open firmware options though :thumb:

Cowon is also a great option - they make really good players...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
P.DJ is good. girlfriend has one that i've played around with...i dig it. you won't regret buying one.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Cowon comes out on top, dethrones iRiver...

In the test iAUDIO the X5 with very good sound quality convinces. With numerous extras it displaces the iRiver H320 of the throne of the feature kings. A schickes Design rounds the product off. There must dress iPod warmly.
Crappy Translation

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
syadasti said:
Cowon comes out on top, dethrones iRiver...

Crappy Translation
the x5 doesn't support ID3 tags, which i think is a rather big deal. browsing for files via file/folder structure seems tedious, esp for a 20GB player...

NO SALE!

however, w/ Rio on the rocks, not sure what my best option is (gonna buy a unit for the wife's car).

i love my ipod, 40 gigs baby. there is just something about having 30 dyas of continous music without hearing the same song.....

on the flip-side, it was a gift and i wouldn't spend $400 on one. i'd go the $200 route and get whichever mp3 player that may end up being....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
This bump was a joke right...
no, why would you think that? the x5 only does folder/file structure layout. instead of having my cds spilling around various vehicles, i figured i could get a player for my wife's car too. Rio's in a precarious spot, so while i dig my Rio i'm not sure i would get another one if the company's going tits up soon. everyone knows my feelings re: iPod. just wondering if any others are worthwhile (dell, iRiver, toshiba, creative, etc). the price point doesn't seem to budge off $200 for the 20GB players, which is kinda crazy for a consumer electrics good. i bought my 20GB karma in Feb '04 for ~$240 or so.