Quantcast

offensively large televisions

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
it's not like we're talking about bagged shredded cheese or already-cooked rice here! :disgust1:
I was fvcking with n8 but it's cute how you stick up for him.

BTW your comparison between big tv's/trendy drinks, and a healthy diet doesn't quite fit the bill although I see what you were trying to do.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

BTW your comparison between big tv's/trendy drinks, and a healthy diet doesn't quite fit the bill although I see what you were trying to do.

did loco hack your account? Cuz this aint the usual laura

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

i was referencing a thread in the beer/food forum (which, btw, wasn't related to healthy diet per se, but more about convenience) . you thought i was sticking up for him?

how cute.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I couldn't care less what size TV other people have. But the way I look at it is that I could buy a nice new flat panel but if I bank that money an stick with my old 26" CRT I could probably retire a few months earlier.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i think the sound is more important than screen size up for the most part. specially on the kinda of movies i like (wwii/war movies).

i´ve watched letters from iwo jima and saving private ryan on a 17in laptop screen, hooked to my car stereo (higher quality amps, speakers and a much larger subwoofer right behind us, along a smaller area and better acoustics i guess) and even in my ex gf opinion (who has no audio nerdiness at all) it was as good if not better than watching a movie in the tv room, even though one screen is about 13 times bigger.....
Absolutly, sound can make or break a movie. Glad I am not the only one watching movies on the laptop in the car!!!!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Absolutly, sound can make or break a movie. Glad I am not the only one watching movies on the laptop in the car!!!!
there are in fact, a few movies i´d rather watch in my car than in my tv room.
nothing beats sitting on top of a 12"of subwoofer in 30sq ft for war movies or taxi driver closing scene.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
panasonic will show their new 150" plasma at CES next week.
ill take a pic and post it up for ya...and you wouldnt need a heater for your apartment either.
Could you get a tan off a TV that big??

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I remember the first time watching a Moive at my house on our big screen TV, well Projector. I couldn't keep up with what was going on on the screen because it was so big. Now I don't want to watch TV or Movies on anything smaller. It would be like going from an old 32" Tube TV to a 13" Tube TV.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I had a friend that had a 50 some odd inch projection TV in a singlewide trailer....to get the full effect you pretty much had to sit out side. Inside the picture was pretty blurry.

Is still roll with a 19 inch plain jane old TV...I haven't watched actual TV in about 3 years though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
so before, say, five years ago, the only way one could comply w/ this so-called standard would have been to sit about 3' away from the set?
No, you went to a movie theatre.

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/index.html

THX has established a two step process for calculating the best viewing distance for 1080p HDTVs.

Step 1: Measure the diagonal screen size
Step 2: Divide by .84

For example, an HDTV display with a 65-inch screen divided by .84 equals a 77-inch viewing distance (6.5 feet).

The goal is to have a 40° or less viewing angle. This provides the greatest combination of visual impact with sharp detail.

Take care not to place the display too high on the wall. Viewers should not have to look up more than 15°.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ideal viewing preference varies by person as does eyesight. Other than THX, I've seen most av professionals throw out 1.5 to 3 times the diagonal size for distance. No TV content (yes I know there is other content) is 1080p yet and you have to wonder how many 1080p sets can pass the muster at 1080p if you really tested their resolution.

Here is a graph by content resolution:

http://wirelessdigest.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/resolution_chart.jpg

As it notes for the graph

There are a few obvious factors to being able to detect resolution differences: the resolution of the screen, the size of the screen, and the viewing distance. To be able to detect differences between resolutions, the screen must be large enough and you must sit close enough. So the question becomes “How do I know if need a higher resolution or not?”. Here is your answer.

Based on the resolving ability of the human eye (with 20/20 vision it is possible to resolve 1/60th of a degree of an arc), it is possible to estimate when the differences between resolutions will become apparent. Using the Home Theater Calculator spreadsheet as a base, I created a chart showing, for any given screen size, how close you need to sit to be able to detect some or all of the benefits of a higher resolution screen.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dang, I am so glad I am not "into" televisions.

It's all a bit silly to me, but it's not my money so it's not my business what you all buy. Of course that doesn't mean that I can't make fun of you for buying silly things.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Dang, I am so glad I am not "into" televisions.

It's all a bit silly to me, but it's not my money so it's not my business what you all buy. Of course that doesn't mean that I can't make fun of you for buying silly things.
You buy medieval weapons.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok all these comparisons to how much we spend on bikes is silly...I bike will improve your health and physical skills...a tv can make you fat and lazy...count me as one of the people that thinks spending 5 grand on a TV is STUPID especially if you're renting....lol

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ok all these comparisons to how much we spend on bikes is silly...I bike will improve your health and physical skills...a tv can make you fat and lazy...count me as one of the people that thinks spending 5 grand on a TV is STUPID especially if you're renting....lol
Oh yeah? Well what if all you do is watch Richard Simmons and sweat to the oldies? Well then you'd be.. well, you'd be alot like Skaredsshiitlesssss... damn.. now where'd I put that photo!?!?! Anyway... Richard Simmons will improve your health!

Not so smug now, are ya?

;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
...No TV content (yes I know there is other content) is 1080p yet and you have to wonder how many 1080p sets can pass the muster at 1080p if you really tested their resolution.
Clearly, going through the effort of setting up a home theatre to specific standards is generally not for television purposes. I have a big ass Tv, and i use it almost exclusively for playing xbox 360 games and HD DVD movies. 720P isn't too bad either, actually.

To see the difference between 720p and 1080p you have to be either pretty damn close (under 4 feet i think it is at 46") or have a really friggin' huge TV.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Clearly, going through the effort of setting up a home theatre to specific standards is generally not for television purposes. I have a big ass Tv, and i use it almost exclusively for playing xbox 360 games and HD DVD movies. 720P isn't too bad either, actually.
Yes, more people are doing more things with the home theaters today but watching TV followed by movies is still the vast majority.

Other than a limited assortment of HD DVD/Bluray with shot with good equipment nothing much is going to resolve to 1080p right now - Blue/HD just got affordable this xmas season.

For games, it takes a high-end PC or Mac with high-end GPU(s) to pump out 1920x1080 with all the GPU eye candy on at decent framesets and actually some next generation games like Crysis that won't even do 60 fps with Quad SLI - an Xbox 360 or PS3 only has the processing power of a cheap modern computer with average to midrange GPU so for the most part it would be upscaling and for those that support 1080p the game has more limited 3D effects and/or uses low res textures to keep framerate playable. I am sure next generation consoles will probably target 1080p native with all the available features their GPU will support.

In a year or so 1080p will become more relevant but its still in its content/processing infancy. Early adoption is always a pain.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
1080 becomes "visable" from a scientific point of view on TV stes larger then 42".
I myself have a 46" Full HD and allthough I may not need it right now in a couple of years Im sure it will pay off and I needed a new set now so why buy one now that cant handle the pressure in a year or two.

I also play my PS3 on it which allready looks awsome as do Blu Ray movies so the TV and Home Theatre Set are definitly worth it for me, not saying anyone else.

The argument of people just sitting in front of a TV getting fat and bikes makeing you fit is BS.
I exercise a lot (ok maybee not as much the last couple of months) and ride my DH bike, Pitbike, even my XC bike on occaisions and I work out in a gym and gorunning sometimes.
But when Im at home in the evening and I want to play some PS3 or watch a nice movie I rather do it on a big Full HD TV set then on a little 13" monitor which makes your eyes hurt.
My set even has Ambi Light which gives your eyes more rest during the experiance.

So really, complaining about someone else's big TV is about as dumb as my GF complaining about my 8000$ DH bike...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1080 becomes "visable" from a scientific point of view on TV stes larger then 42".
You can see 1080p easily on much smaller displays you just have to be closer to the screen. They make LCD for medical usage (for xrays) that are 21" and do 5MP (2560x2048) native.