Quantcast

Offical WIM letter

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
To our very dear WIM family,

As we are starting to hear the fallout of our scheduling decisions, we feel it appropriate to communicate further some of the reasons behind making them. Let us begin by saying that we have an overwhelming sense of appreciation to all of you for your ongoing support, loyalty, patience and for many of you, your help. We have immensely enjoyed interaction with you, watching your families grow, creating bonds with them and even seeing them on national and world podiums. Many of you are great friends and we have enjoyed the past 10 years of “playing with ya!”

However, as we have grown older too, we have come to realize our limits and the limits of our business. As you may or may not know, what we do with mountain bike racing across the state of Washington takes an enormous amount of work. It is becoming increasing difficult to obtain access to appropriate land for the numbers of racers thatwe draw. We are competing with many other recreational activities, expenses have increased dramatically for us, and working to develop courses when they are a considerable distance from our base of operations has proven frustrating and very difficult. Property usage fees are increasing and some property owners just don’t want mountain bike racing any longer. Combine that with the fact that our net profit (and we have more expenses than just traveling to the event and setting up a course) is not at a level where it makes sense for us to continue traveling outside our area.

So, even though these things have been apparent for several years, we have hesitated making any profound scheduling changes because of the fear that we would increasingly lose some of you. Well, we’ve lost some of you anyway and it’s time for us to refocus our business efforts. The WIM Series originated in eastern Washington. And we’re taking it back to where it began. Access and permitting issues are better here, course building is in our back yard, we’re able to donate monies to our community to promote outdoor activities (i.e. the Centennial Trail bridge in Spokane), and we currently have Silver Mountain in Kellogg, ID, willing and building courses for us and just for our races!! We want to focus more of our efforts on building mountain bike enthusiasm in our community.

We can understand the frustrations for those of you who feel that driving to Spokane or Kellogg for a race is too far and we’re saddened that we’ll lose some of you. For those who enjoy traveling to our events or who live closer to us, we hope that you will continue to enjoy the hard work and level of racing that we will continue to offer.

Because Round & Round seeks to make a profit like any other business, the changes we have made in our company are business decisions that we needed to make. We hope you will understand…and again, our sincere thanks for your past business. We wish you all many years of fun outdoor adventures.

Very sincerely,
Wendy Bailey
Gino Lisiecki

As seen on roundandround.com

Huckermatt

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
South Lake, WA
Good luck WIM, this proves that not only does the western washington scene need races of its own, it also proves what a lot of us knew already that WIM did not welcome DH with open arms (especially the westsiders). In any case, I am not here to bash WIM. We should all start thinking about where the mountain bike scene is going in our area because right now it is PITIFULL. Dirt jumps being torn down everywhere, no races in an area that could be one of the best in the nation, Canadians laughing at their brethren from accross the border, SECRET trails everywhere so that no one can ride them (I have been guilty of this myself). And if the best and most well known place that people are riding is South Seatac, I think I'll go shoot myself in the head, twice................
We should all get together and support anyone on the westside who decides to put on a race series, Trailhacker let's talk sometime and maybe GHY and you can promote something that will help bring the sport back to the westside and show people it can be done........Sorry just thinking out loud there.
Peace............GO RIDE YOUR BIKE.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Huckermatt said:
We should all get together and support anyone on the westside who decides to put on a race series, Trailhacker let's talk sometime and maybe GHY and you can promote something that will help bring the sport back to the westside and show people it can be done........Sorry just thinking out loud there.
Peace............GO RIDE YOUR BIKE.
We are waiting to see the BC schedule before making any decisions on a race series for next year.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It is a sad time for sure to be a DH'er in W.Wa. Not only are there no local races, but also a lack of lift-accessed trails to rub salt in the ol' wound. It is a total embarrassment in consideration of the terrain that our neck of the woods has to offer.
If it wasn't for the fact that there's some fine places north of the border, I would pack my bags and get the hell out of dodge.
I would like to race someday, but I don't want to have to undertake an incredible journey just to get to a place that offers races. I sure hope the sad state of affairs around here make a turn for the better...and soon.
:(