Quantcast

office policies?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
what is your offices policy on dress code?

what about tardiness?

and what is the disciplinary actions that are enforced for not following these policies?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
You must wear clothes.

You need to get stuff done.

discipline?

ok....it's not that unstructured, but pretty close. They figure that everyone is an adult and can deal with acting so. But, we do chastise guys for wearing a tie. :nope:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
khakis and a polo shirt

~8:30-5p. if you're going to be late, let us know in advance or call.

disciplinary action? i don't know, nothing is documented. like someone already mentioned, we're all adults and should use common sense.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
"Professional" dress code for management (that includes me), business casual for everyone else. I wear dress pants, button down shirt, tie, and shiny polished shoes every day...basically, just short of a suit.

For most employees, you get five strikes in a rolling 12 month period. Five strikes and you're fired. This includes unexcused absences, tardiness, and leaving work early. For us salaried, exempt folks, just show up for work and do your job and the "powers that be" will leave you alone (I honestly don't know what the policy is for management)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
douglas said:
what is your offices policy on dress code?

what about tardiness?

and what is the disciplinary actions that are enforced for not following these policies?
I second the handbook thing...

However we have a very flexible work schedule for all of our non-service employees. THey can pretty much get here any time after 7am, and work until whenever - 6pm. When they reach 40 hours on Friday, they need to go home unless we are closing the month.

It seems to be a pretty effective way to cut down on over time and make them happy (Most of them work until like 2pm on Friday).

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
dress is business casual

If you are late you stay late (Flexible schedual)

I really don't have a direct manager so I would have to screww up alot to get punnished

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Monday -Thursday: Shirt and tie w/ dressy pants
Friday: jeans, t-shirt, runners - unless we have a meeting with a client that we have to suck up to.
We can get away without a tie at times, but only if we don't get unchained from our desks at any time during the day

I've never seen anyone get sent home or anything like that. One guy even wore a ripped up shirt and jeans one day and was pretty much just given a hard time by the supervisor. I push the limits on Fridays, but nobody has ever mentioned anything. Really the only complaint I have is that its expensive wearing nice stuff, dry cleaning sucks, and ironing sucks. The owners of the company (2 of them) are ALL about style (one is Italian - has like 5 bimmers and a few benz's)

Tardiness: pretty flexible, but we're supposed to be here 8-5 minus 12-1. As long as we're not consistently 15 mins late then its all good. When I ride in I usually get here at about 7:50 so it looks like I'm here, but I'm really taking a shower....if they ever call me on it I guess I'll just tell them that I was taking a massive dump and went to use the other can so to not be-foul ours.

We have beer in the fridge and foosball to play so things are pretty relaxed on friday afternoons.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
no official policy on either, at least not that I'm aware of. We are expected to dress "appropriately" and to "get our work done on time". In the summer, that often means jeans, sandles and a golf shirt and 7 hour days. Other times, it means a suit and 12 hour days.

Because we are union, there's not much anyone can do unless they can document ways we are not fulfilling our duties/job description. You might get an earful, but that's about it.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I wear a collared shirt and jeans. In fact I've been wearing the same jeans for like two weeks. Perhaps it's time to put on a different pair. Friday's t shirt and jeans. However, my boss is really cool. The other assistants here have to dress it up.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
We have to wear long pants, but no jeans and closed toed shoes, but no sneakers. We have polo shirts with the company logo on them we have to wear everyday.

Excessive tardiness that is unexcused would get someone a "talking to", but as long as coming in late and leaving early is cleared before hand, we come and go pretty much as we please. I just asked my boss If I could leave at 3 instead of 6 to go riding and he was like, "no sweat". My job is waaaay laid back. :cool: :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I should have mentioned I am part of management.......(and theres no issues/problems in my dept.)
One of my comanagers is all upset because we won't change the dress code to allow sneakers & shorts.
We also have some hourly employess that are late everyday (I'm talking 20-60 minutes)
The GM just wants to keep telling people what the rules are instead of enforcing them

So I'm just trying to see what goes on in all of your offices

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Dress code: collared shirt, and pants (not blue jeans, but other than that open for interpretation - I wear Old Navy carpenter pants).

Tardiness:
call if you're going to be late and make up your time. Example, I leave about 5 minutes early on Tuesday - Thursday to pick Noah up from day care in time, so I stay late on Mondays and Fridays to make that time up.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
"Dressed like a bum" I guess. It's pretty free wheeling here @ the welding shop. I show up and leave roughly 7:30 - 4:30, and take less than an hour for lunch (as long as the work gets done it's all fine). Most of the employees here have their clothes patched with duct tape (loose frayed bits of cloth love sparks!). Steel toe and saftey glasses are the only solid req.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
We also have some hourly employess that are late everyday (I'm talking 20-60
That's nothing... out of an office of about 30, we have a few (2, 3, 4... somewhere in there) people who show up 2 hours late every day.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Jeans and a collared shirt... Late? I am salaried... there is no late. Of course there is no 8 hour day either... usually 10. No discipline unless you are waltzing in at 11 everyday in shorts and a t-shirt... then you get fired.

ROCKLAND said:
"Dressed like a bum" I guess. It's pretty free wheeling here @ the welding shop. I show up and leave roughly 7:30 - 4:30, and take less than an hour for lunch (as long as the work gets done it's all fine). Most of the employees here have their clothes patched with duct tape (loose frayed bits of cloth love sparks!). Steel toe and saftey glasses are the only solid req.
I was a welder for a while. Oh man do I remember the patched up clothes, the nice litle burn holes all over my sleeves, and flaming shoes. Eventually I put leather patches on a denim jacket so it wouldn't catch on fire so much.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
No sweats, daisy dukes, spaghetti strap tanks....hum, I think that are all the no no's.

Our dress code is very casual at work :thumb:

Tardiness is casual also unless you work in customer service. You pretty much get a 5 minute window past your start time. If you are tardy more than 3 times in a two week period you get a verbal warning, then written, blah blah....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
supposed to be business casual, and the boys @ HQ in NJ were specifying collared shirts did not mean polo shirts.

everyone pretty much ignored that. there are people who wear shorts and T shirts in the summer (of which i used to be one), but it's pretty much jeans/chino type stuff and collared shirts/polo shirts for the guys. some people do wear ties, but not many at all (and it's not the sr directors or VPs.), unless teh FDA or other reg agency is in.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dress code: none... for meetings, dress a little smarter.

hours: flexible... we're encouraged to be here between 9 & 6... always be on time for meetings.

tardiness: call ahead it you're going to be late... haven't had anything but a talk when I was late to a meeting (thanks to fog/late ferry)

Basically we work on a "get it done on time" mentality... my position doesn't require much phone time or outside meetings... very relaxed work environment that allows us to focus on the work, not clock watching & the like.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Business casual dress. Emphasis for most people on "casual". As long as its clean, no holes and isn't vular or overly-provocative, its ok. We have a guy here who wears hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandles year round. No kidding.

Our "core" hours are 9-5, but as long as you get your work done, this is flexible also. I come in between 7:30-8 am. A co-worker usually strolls in between 8:30-9:30. We both leave at 5 or so.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
douglas said:
I should have mentioned I am part of management.......(and theres no issues/problems in my dept.)
One of my comanagers is all upset because we won't change the dress code to allow sneakers & shorts.
We also have some hourly employess that are late everyday (I'm talking 20-60 minutes)
The GM just wants to keep telling people what the rules are instead of enforcing them

So I'm just trying to see what goes on in all of your offices
My office allows shorts and sneakers. Frankly, I am a little surprised when I see dudes in baggys at the job, but it really doesn't matter if people can handle it.

Mostly, I come in business casual because I take myself pretty seriously at the job, and I want to be treated as such.

On the other hand, my bike shop job I wear whatever, the funkier the better.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lateness is another thing. Many people think tardiness is a sin, particularly bosses. If something critical has to be done first thing, then you are screwing over your co-workers by being late.

I have a half-hour window I show up to work. I also work later and after hours from home. If everyday, some dude get there a half hour late and leaves five minutes early, then he needs a talking-to.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:
what kind of work do you guys do?

my comapny processes special hauling permits...basically everyone here sits at a computer all day, taking orders via voice, web, fax, and inputting data - others fax and bill the approved permits

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bluebug32 said:
what kind of work do you guys do?
I do desktop PC support for Kaiser Permanente. What matters most here is that the work is done well, and quickly. As we are a hospital and we have PC's in every department except the morgue, sometimes discretion is required more than a dress code. Sometimes you have to go fix a PC in emergency, sometimes you arrive as someone is dying. Sometimes you see unusual, and personal images, and so on. Pay attention to what you're doing, be a professional, and get in fix it and get out of the medical staff's way as soon as possible. All in all, it's a really fun and challenging job. When I am not babbling on Ridemonkey, that is. :D