Quantcast

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have nothing notable to report about my ride though :monkeydance:
Law of odds, if you commute enough, something notable will happen. I doubt anyone remembers my post about 5 years ago when I was riding to work really early one morning and came upon a guy that was walking down the street jacking off. :clue:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Law of odds, if you commute enough, something notable will happen. I doubt anyone remembers my post about 5 years ago when I was riding to work really early one morning and came upon a guy that was walking down the street jacking off. :clue:
I had a homeless crazy guy keep telling me that if only he had his bike with him, we could race and he would win. LOL

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ever so light misty rain fell this morning dampening the pines and roads. Fall isn't too far off and the smells are starting to prove it. Summer just has that dryer smell. Don't get me wrong, it's still warm out (58 for my ride in this morning), but I can sense ch ch changes.

Ride on.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
My bro-in-law (Travis) and I went for a 60 mile jaunt on Sunday...oddly enough, after something like that, the 17 mile commute in was a breeze.

Weirdness of Sunday's ride: About 5 blocks from ending our ride at my house, I notice that Travis' eggbeater pedal is pretty crooked at the crank arm. He's been having issues with his pedals but just because he rides so much...but this was different. So we stop and realize that he had pulled the steel insert out of the carbon cranks that are only about a month old...

Yowza...pretty glad that if it had to happen, it happened at the end of the ride.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok it was chilly this morning! I didn't even think about it when I left, and it was a tit bit nippley on the ride. :)

Ugh, need to inventory colder weather gear to see what I need.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
So yeah...some guys are skunky douche-rags.

On the way in this morning, this guy falls in behind me and drafts for about 5 miles. (I'm keeping it somewhere between 18-20mph, which isn't the easiest at 48F...but I digress...)

First long, relatively easy hill pops up, he pulls around, says "Mornin'.", and continues to accelerate with no intention of letting me fall in. So I say "You're welcome." and he looks at me with a level of disdain and arrogance that is only surpassed by the Kardashian family. At this point I actually thought about sprinting up to his rear wheel and buzzing him...but I decided to keep it civil.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
next time: snot rocket as he overtakes.
or keep a horse placenta wrapped around your headtube to sling onto his seatpost

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I present a story of epic proportions...

Well...not really...

So there I am riding home (on the MUP I normally take) this evening and start gaining (allbeit slowly) on this guy. No biggie. Two runners doodling along. Dude pulls on to the gravel side off to the right and blows by them. WTF? Keep riding. He does it again almost causing a woman to fall because she's so surprised. 2x WTF? So I yell out from about 18 feet back, "Hey c*ckmunch, stop passing on the right."

Third time was the charm though, he pulled up behind a guy riding along, almost buzzed his tire, then whipped around on the right. Guy almost weaved right into him.

I've had enough at this point and pull up to him and say, "Totally not cool." And pull in front. He accelerates and drafts for about 3/4 of a mile. During this time I seriously thought about brake checking him...but decided against a bigger incident than needed to happen.

He then pulls up on my right and looks right at me. I look him dead in the eyes and say, "I will end you."

He then says, "I hate being uncool." And then proceeds to try and drop me. So I just hang with him and say, "It's not about being cool, it's about not being a danger to everyone else while you ride. Don't violate the rules and no one will get upset, f*cktard."

He then turns off the trail onto an arterial road, almost gets clipped by a car, just about loses control, and disappears around a corner...

Where do these people come from??

And, no, he wasn't riding a nice rig or the clothes to match, so maybe he's just clueless....but I wasn't giving him any credit either way after acting with such disregard.

Next person I see pulling that kinda crap gets an all expenses paid trip into the shrubbery via forearm shiver.

Toolbags.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I blew threw a red light (the green turn arrow was lit and no cars were coming) and startled a roadie dude as he waited for the light. I was on the 1x1, so he caught up and started to lecture me:

"You know you give us a bad name right?"

"A bad name? Like these fuggers (points to traffic) care about riders to begin with?"

"So you don't care?"

"I'm trying to get home before the rain starts."

"Well, blah, blah, blah..."

"Fug off and mind your own business!"

Am I the azzhole?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I know the guy pissed you off, but calling him a c*ckmunch isn't going to get him to stop. The thing that pisses me off the most on my commute is the number of people who think its okay to risk my life to save 5 seconds on their drive. I wish gas would go to $8 a gallon and get a bunch of these people off the road

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
So yeah...some guys are skunky douche-rags.

On the way in this morning, this guy falls in behind me and drafts for about 5 miles. (I'm keeping it somewhere between 18-20mph, which isn't the easiest at 48F...but I digress...)

First long, relatively easy hill pops up, he pulls around, says "Mornin'.", and continues to accelerate with no intention of letting me fall in. So I say "You're welcome." and he looks at me with a level of disdain and arrogance that is only surpassed by the Kardashian family. At this point I actually thought about sprinting up to his rear wheel and buzzing him...but I decided to keep it civil.
So you just let him go on an easy hill? :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I blew threw a red light (the green turn arrow was lit and no cars were coming) and startled a roadie dude as he waited for the light. I was on the 1x1, so he caught up and started to lecture me:

"You know you give us a bad name right?"

"A bad name? Like these fuggers (points to traffic) care about riders to begin with?"

"So you don't care?"

"I'm trying to get home before the rain starts."

"Well, blah, blah, blah..."

"Fug off and mind your own business!"

Am I the azzhole?

That new bike is making you bitchy.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I know the guy pissed you off, but calling him a c*ckmunch isn't going to get him to stop. The thing that pisses me off the most on my commute is the number of people who think its okay to risk my life to save 5 seconds on their drive. I wish gas would go to $8 a gallon and get a bunch of these people off the road
Neither is reciting the local ordinances verbatim...so I just did what made me feel good.

Ditto on the driver thing.

Heidi said:
So you just let him go on an easy hill?
Yeah...it was a chilly ride in after a 90 miler the day before...I just didn't feel like being a complete d*ck and wasting my energy...

I know, I know...cop out...whatev.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Was at work late last night, and rode home in the dark. It started pouring rain about 5 miles in. I got soaked! :poster_oops:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Was at work late last night, and rode home in the dark. It started pouring rain about 5 miles in. I got soaked! :poster_oops:
During monsoon season down here I carry Ziplock bag for the iPod, Phone, etc. I was worried about my lights though, so a LBS wrench suggested carrying condoms to cover them and still be lit up. Married monkeys should prolly explain this to their spouse before stock up however.

:thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Some guy on a clapped out ten speed tried to lecture me on the wearing the proper saftey gear at a light yesterday. Good stuff.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
During monsoon season down here I carry Ziplock bag for the iPod, Phone, etc. I was worried about my lights though, so a LBS wrench suggested carrying condoms to cover them and still be lit up. Married monkeys should prolly explain this to their spouse before stock up however.

:thumb:
All my stuff was in my Chrome bag, and stayed dry as a bone. :monkeydance:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
So I'm really tired today and was just kind of cruising to work, not trying all that hard and I see some guy furiously pedaling to catch up to me. He does so at the roundabout and continues to hammer by my without a word. He pulls off to take a short cut and that's when I kick it in only I take the longer way around. I'm now ahead of him when he rejoins the main road and he tries to take another shortcut. Two streets down he connects back up with my road only I'm still ahead of him. He sprints up and says, "You must know some shortcut I don't". I reply, "Nope, I'm just faster than you."

SLAM!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
So I'm really tired today and was just kind of cruising to work, not trying all that hard and I see some guy furiously pedaling to catch up to me. He does so at the roundabout and continues to hammer by my without a word. He pulls off to take a short cut and that's when I kick it in only I take the longer way around. I'm now ahead of him when he rejoins the main road and he tries to take another shortcut. Two streets down he connects back up with my road only I'm still ahead of him. He sprints up and says, "You must know some shortcut I don't". I reply, "Nope, I'm just faster than you."

SLAM!
Haha, awesome! :thumb:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Frost has started here in the mornings. Lots of spazzy riders out in full effect.

Bike is making gawdawful creaking noises that I've never heard before. I predict JRA frame snappage to full on carnage before the year is out.

Since this morning's ride in I've had 3 cups of coffee and 5 pints of beer. If I don't post again, its because I rode into the river and drown....or my frame snapped and I'm in a coma.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
One time I road in and thought I was going to work through a big storm. By midnight it should have easily passed through. Well, my plan didn't work and I couldn't justify having the wife drive with the baby to pick me up that late.

SO I sucked it up and road home in a July thundershower. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Like being baptised by warm rain under fire works skies. It was my fastest average this year 21.3mph. I'll never forget it.
Sounds AMAZING!!!

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
I am looking to get a commuter, especially for winter, but in general. Currently I just ride my mountain bike, with road tires. That is fine while it is dry, but soon enough winter will be here and I will be in trouble. I only have about a 4 mile each way commute...sometimes less sometimes more. Does anyone have any cheap suggestions? My LBS doesn't have any used right now, doesn't think they will get any soon either...what should i do?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
get proper tread & use the mtb.
that's both the cheapest & most storage efficient solution (if you're a minimalist, that is)

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
I just found out that the college that I attend part time has a bike shop that is set up to get older bikes: giants, gary fishers, specailizeds, etc. and restore them back to good use. Then they rent the bikes out to the students for 10 bucks a month. The best part is that if you volunteer to work in the shop for 10 hours you get to build your own bike for free! You can only use a range of specific items in their stock to do this, but hey it is a chance to build a good commuter for a hell of a lot less than buying one would be.

Question though...should I build a single speed, or a geared bike? My commute has a few hills, one fairly steep but short one, or I can take the long but gradual incline. My commute is around 4 miles one way.

However I will more than likely use the bike to commute to and from the store and things of that nature, so more hills might become available. I am in pretty good shape though...I think. I run around 4 miles twice a week and bike pretty much everywhere, bout 15-20 miles on the average day.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
Okay. In that case since my specialized(mtb) is geared I should build a ss? That is what I am leaning toward. I am convinced it is easier to maintain, I just don't know if I am committed. But I am leaning that way...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I am looking to get a commuter, especially for winter, but in general. Currently I just ride my mountain bike, with road tires. That is fine while it is dry, but soon enough winter will be here and I will be in trouble. I only have about a 4 mile each way commute...sometimes less sometimes more. Does anyone have any cheap suggestions? My LBS doesn't have any used right now, doesn't think they will get any soon either...what should i do?

Cheap suggestions? Just use your mountain bike.:lighten:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Brrrrr, down right cold this morning. 30 degrees when I rolled out of the garage. White frosty rooftops against blue sky, frozen flowers, the sound of ice scrapers on windshields, and me all bundled up in my thermal winter riding jacket.

Ride on.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I just picked up a NR Sol (I think its the new mininewt ?)

It works great for the commute and its got about 4 hours runtime.

On sale at performance, and I couldn't pass it up.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
This still needs cleaned up and painted, but this is the first round on a new commuter frame I'm working on. Most likley a Nexus 8 will find it's way on it, along with a fully equiped kit.

I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts.