Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i've been rocking a Nexus 7 since about May on my commuter bike. it's kind of a pain in the ass to adjust but once set it's very clean and quiet. i'd get it again given the chance.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well... a peek at my parts/mileage/expenditure chart reveals that I've ridden 3,000 miles since May 1st on just my roadie....

w0w.

That means the frame has almost (very roughly) 10k on it....I've owned cars that haven't lasted that long...

My butt hurts just thinking about that.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
i've been rocking a Nexus 7 since about May on my commuter bike. it's kind of a pain in the ass to adjust but once set it's very clean and quiet. i'd get it again given the chance.
Really? I know some of the first Gens had some shifting issues, but i've been dealing with the 7 and 8 for a few years now, and have had a good experiance. The new iMotion by SRAM is a really clean system as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's just the mechanism for adjusting it which is a pain: no barrel adjuster at the hub, having to release the housing each time to easily lift the adjuster-nut out of its perch, an adjuster-nut in the first place instead of an allen bolt...

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
it's just the mechanism for adjusting it which is a pain: no barrel adjuster at the hub, having to release the housing each time to easily lift the adjuster-nut out of its perch, an adjuster-nut in the first place instead of an allen bolt...
I've always been able to do the small adjustments with the barrel adjuster on shifter in decent fashion. I'll definitly agree that the pinch-nut/hook mech isn't very graceful. I think you'd really dig on the iMotion. The CJP is integrated and there's no nut goofiness. It is a bit heavier though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i can't complain about the price of the Nexus 7 at least: came as OEM on a $515 (on sale) Novara Transfer, with that price also including a generator hub, front light, rear flasher, rear rack, and full fenders. aftermarket the nexus/wheel setup alone would have run a goodly portion of the whole bike's price...

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
You just know something is going to happen when you screw up....

So I had to take the truck in for an oil change, so I had my bike in the back and dropped it off in the morning and rode to work. When I go to pick it up at the end of the day, I get all the way there and realize that I left my wallet sitting in the server room where I keep my bike and change clothes. UGHH.

The ride there was uneventful, but its in the Tech Center here in Denver and I HATE riding on the roads anywhere near rush hour. It is just plain not fun as it seems like none of the drivers pay attention or look for bikes at all.

So now the ride back to work and back to the shop for the truck...cut off once, locked brakes for yahoo making a left in front of me, and the kicker...BMW boy giving me the I am so cool I am going to buzz the bike and force them into the gutter. I am glad I did not have a U lock handy because I was pretty pissed and was ready to smash some BMW. Of course he booked it and I got stuck at a light.

Side note, over 1000 miles commuting since may, which is pretty darn cool. :)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Bought some rain gear last Friday at REI's sale (w00t for savings!!).

Well...I have to say that my Sugoi shoe covers rule.

My feet used to get cold (but not necessarily wet...) sometimes on the ride in, but now they're warm. And dry.

Also my rain pants (and jacket) have yet to be thoroughly tested...but they're comfy and warm. Time will tell.

Might need a second, more powerful headlight depending on how dark certain sections of the trail are as the sun rises later...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Side note, over 1000 miles commuting since may, which is pretty darn cool. :)

NIce job! You know what will really freak people out...periodically dismount your bike, pick it up and hop over invisible barriers cyclyclocross style and then remount and ride off.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Think it was 40 here this morn?

I lost a brake pad this morning??? Never had that happen. Have to go buy some at lunch and fix it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i bought new goretex gloves today. yay REI 20% one item sale. boo 45 degree weather making my hands cold.

in other news all us bike commuters should be eligible for a $20/month federal tax break come january 2009 thanks to a piece of pork stuck into (and passed with) the revised bailout legislation. fitting that it comes from a portland, oregon congressman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/us/10bike.html?ref=us

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
didn't use it last year b/c i didn't have receipts. and the irs is all about spending a dollar to get a dime

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
didn't use it last year b/c i didn't have receipts. and the irs is all about spending a dollar to get a dime
this sounds like a program that'll be handled by corporate HR people. peons will merely have to go to the desk to get $20 more (rather, less that amount in tax deducted) per month on their paycheck.

$20/month is coincidentally within a few pennies of how much my pre-tax deduction is for my regional bus pass, so i'd take that money gladly.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
I just got finished building my 1st commuter. I mostly ride trail and dh, but have been on a friend's commuter a few times and loved it. Plus this will really help my cardio and a great way to get to work. I was given a 1992 Trek 1200, today we made it a single speed, new tires, new tubes, rear brake, and bull horn bars. I only went for a few short spins tonight but so far so good. Here in the SE/ Greenville, SC we have a great bike community. The commuter and fixied gear have really taken off recently and off course the MTB is very strong. I will post pics ASAP. I'm totally pumped and ready to click on the miles!!!!!!:banana:

Last edited:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok it is that time of year...

I have to leave in the morning by 7 ish, and its frickin dark and cold right now. :(

Motivation where have you gone??

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
With the Tour de Fat in Tempe, I've started commuting again.
Rolling my Karpiel with Hookworms to work today. Did my grocery shopping last night by bike too. I miss my Xtracycle...

Hopefully I'll start posting more in this thread!

Bevo Bill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
I just got finished building my 1st commuter. I mostly ride trail and dh, but have been on a friend's commuter a few times and loved it. Plus this will really help my cardio and a great way to get to work. I was given a 1992 Trek 1200, today we made it a single speed, new tires, new tubes, rear brake, and bull horn bars. I only went for a few short spins tonight but so far so good. Here in the SE/ Greenville, SC we have a great bike community. The commuter and fixied gear have really taken off recently and off course the MTB is very strong. I will post pics ASAP. I'm totally pumped and ready to click on the miles!!!!!!:banana:
:cheers:
had to join to say nice to see at least one other 92 1200 being shown some love out there

mine recently got upgraded to a CL ultegra set

although as far as commuting goes, I typically go with the same era paramount series

Last edited:

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Hell yeah bro that thing is sick. I really like the Black, mine is electric yellow, but I do love it. We did 13 miles on Tuesday on them, it was a lot of fun. I have already got plans to change the wheels over to Velocity, but other that that it is money. I will try and get pics this weekend of my stable.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Been riding with an injured knee the last few days.
Last night, after work, I rode the big bike down to a buddy's house to pick up a fork he rebuilt for me. It was about 40 miles total for the day. My legs feel good but my knee was jacked this morning. All ready to go, got on my bike and tried to pedal - no good. Had to fire up the truck and drive in. Sucky. Hopefully it'll heal up soon (cut it open in a crash last Saturday) and I can get back to riding all the time!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Bummer about your knee - take care of it, knees are precious.

Brilliant sunrise this morning with lots of pic highlights in the high jet stream blown linear clouds. Awesomeness.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
SOOOOO close to hitting a deer this morning on my ride to work. They jumped out of nowhere and I had to slam on my brakes to keep from t-boning one at 25 mph. Close call.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
SOOOOO close to hitting a deer this morning on my ride to work. They jumped out of nowhere and I had to slam on my brakes to keep from t-boning one at 25 mph. Close call.
Whoa! Glad you're ok!

Back on the bike, knee is feeling a LOT better. Rode in to work today. :banana:

I LOVE Hookworms!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Another great ride in today. Temps are perfect!
My "new" fork is starting to break in nicely too.

Trying to get as many miles in as I can before going to Moab next month.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Well I got my first flat since I started commuting in May. Not too bad really.

It was caused by the satan of plants, the goat head. :rant:

I hate those things!!!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
It was like 38. :) It is still not totally flat, I left the thorn in. Have to fix it at lunch.
I HATE those. Satan plant indeed!

I drove into work today :disgust1:
Super tired trying to adjust to riding everywhere again. Commuted 4/5 days last week though and only drove once on the weekend!

Back to commuting tomorrow!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The town was eerily quite this morning when I rode in. All I could hear was the scurrying of leaves as they blew across the road.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Dark in the morning these days when i leave, Had to use the light this morning, plus lots of wet leaves on the road.
I know! I have to use the light in the morning and it comes on at about halfway home.

I am not a get up when its dark outside person either. :(

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Another good ride in today.
Its nice being back on the bike - and only have a 25 minute commute to work.

It was warm this morning.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
So last nights commute was not "non" stressful. I was buzzed by a Dodge Durango dong about 40, he had his entire right side tires in the bike lane, and on purpose too I think. I also had a lady make a left right in front of me. I was aware and she looked sketchy so I was ready to bail. She actually burned the turn and halfway through locked her brakes, then gunned it again to complete the turn. Then she flipped me off. Biach.

I was also ordered to "Stop, you on the bike!" by two people riding horses on a MUP in the middle of Denver. SIGH.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I spent about 10 minutes yesterday afternoon on my ride home trying to convince two stray dogs that were running loose in the street to allow me to see their tags so I could call their owners. They just looked at me skeptical and went to play in traffic.

splat

Nam I am
Switched Bikes for the season today, Was my Road bike , now my Stumpy Hardtail. since it is dark out I can't pick up the pot holes very well and got a Pinch flat on the way home in the dark, Means its time for the bigger tires .

Heidi on More then one occasion I have come dangerously close to T-boneing a Deer at speed , I have found that if you yell at them they Move. I learned that well I Yelled "oh Sh1t " When I though I was about to hit a 10 Point buck, he started to run and I just barely brushed his side.