Quantcast

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i converted my cdale r800 w/ 28 on front, 32 rear.
my fat ass flexes the frame just enough to rub the chicken strip on the calipers during a seated climb

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
center of tread
if your only wear is on this, you ride like a chicken

bok! bok!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL!

Well I made it there and back in one piece. Time to buy some lights so I can do it right. I am absolutely astounded by how nice 90% of people were to me on my bike. These same people would run me over twice if I were in a car, but they stop to let me turn, hesitate in intersections to let me through, and move over to give me room. I've been riding for a long time, and I've even commuted in downtown boston for a bit, but I have to admit I was terrified about cutting through the suburbs on my way to work...but I guess it was mostly for naught. Only had one near death incident, when a lady backing out of her drive didn't see me...but I saw her and once she did, she moved forward to let me pass. So crazy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hi friends.

What do we like for headlights? I'm looking for more of a "be seen" than a "see" headlight, as right now it's nice and sunny both ways, and even during DST I'll be under street lights 90% of the way. I do want drivers to see me though. Ease of removal and visibility are tops.

I just bought a cygolite "death by red" taillight, so they should see me before they pass.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hi friends.

What do we like for headlights? I'm looking for more of a "be seen" than a "see" headlight, as right now it's nice and sunny both ways, and even during DST I'll be under street lights 90% of the way. I do want drivers to see me though. Ease of removal and visibility are tops.

I just bought a cygolite "death by red" taillight, so they should see me before they pass.
The DealExtreme light that dante likes is quite nice. I favor its epileptogenic flashy flashy mode.

http://dx.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82734

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bike commuting-related purchase of the day:

Delta Cycles, maker of the Air Zound, claim 115 dB. I hope they're not exaggerating too much.

I'm going to start riding with my headlight on epileptogenic flasher mode during all daytime hours, and will travel on the side of prevailing traffic instead of against it. Although I like going against it so as to be able to see gaps in traffic and pull out around parked cars more confidently, there have been way too many instances this week of drivers waiting to turn right onto the main road upon which I'm traveling who neglect to look to their right (ie, at me) before stepping on the go pedal.

Being in the right, in the sense of having legally having the right of way, is of no use to me if I'm flattened like a pancake after some work van driver or soccer mom pulls out into my path...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can say that that horn is loud as hell. Woody has one (he worked for delta cycle) and I'd love to get one for my commuter at some point.

Do you have a link to the light you bought? The website you pointed me to no longer has the links up, but it doesn't look like dealextreme is still corrupted. They have a shedload of different options, so I'd love to pick the right one. Can't complain about the price though!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I can say that that horn is loud as hell. Woody has one (he worked for delta cycle) and I'd love to get one for my commuter at some point.

Do you have a link to the light you bought? The website you pointed me to no longer has the links up, but it doesn't look like dealextreme is still corrupted. They have a shedload of different options, so I'd love to pick the right one. Can't complain about the price though!
Horn is cheap on amazon! $23.95 on Prime. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ACAMJC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

The light in question: http://dx.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82734

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, another question. What do you like in tires for commuting? I currently have my eye on these: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=47962 which come in 45C for my 29er HT. They're nice and light, but they have no flat protection. I'm not sure how much that's needed, or if it's more for peace of mind on your way to work. I would think that fat tires and high pressures would protect against most flats. The resist tires are cheap too...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I will 2nd that Light ! I have 2 of them.

and I have one of those horns too.
How does the horn work?

I just ordered my second DX headlight... to be used as a taillight?! This could turn out to be a horrible failure, or the brightest, most obnoxious bicycle taillight in existence:

+

Hmmmmm :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL...that's one hell of a setup. I think my 2w cygolite will be appropriate, as I'm more concerned with lateral visibility than rearward, honestly. but yeah, nobody will miss you with that thing!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How does the horn work?
I can answer how the Airzound horn works now that it's in my paws (and zip tied to my handlebars--31.8 bars, trigger shifters, and their mount didn't play along):

It is FREAKING LOUD. It's awesome. Sounds significantly louder than the powered, aftermarket air horn on my motorcycle, for comparison…

:weee:

Oh, and even if the DealExtreme light is overrated by a factor of 3 it's still ~40 Watts, converting Watts to lumens in LED-land. Combine that power with the too-fast-for-comfort flashing (about 6 or 8 Hz, I'd estimate, very quick!) and it'll be noticeable.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I decided my Camelbak Fourteener wasn't ugly enough visible enough, so I went to town with some of retroreflective tape I had lying around the garage:

Of course, most of my riding is under the sun, so I'm not sure if this'll make any difference. I need some Roman chariot-type wheel spikes to gouge the paint on cars that crowd me in…

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Just got another $25 gift card for commuting 45 days! I get them every 45 days and spend them on beer :) Win win win.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
forest fire smoke over entire town + 100 deg forecast = cager for the week :(

splat

Nam I am
WTF is it with Some drivers!

Came up to a Light today passed all teh cars in hte right lane on the right side, as I go past the one car the guy yells out the window at me to watch out for his car. I was not close to it. I turn right and continue on , he catche passes me , etc ,atteh next light as I pull Up , he has pulled his car so far to the right there is no way for me to get bye, so I wait. , next Light he has done the same thing , but I go to the left of hime , be cause I make a Right then a Quick left so I get in the left lane to make my Left. light changes I go , and as the guy goes by me ( on the right side of me ) he cuts wicked Close and yelling out the window "asshole" at me. I don't get it.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Headset failure.

Replace headset.

Headset won't adjust.

Disassemble and inspect.

Steer tube is bent.

I need a 700c disc brake fork......anyone got one laying around?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Hey all,

So I sold my car and am now only on a bike. Here's a pic of the lady I built.

Anyway, I'm a total hack and I'm blowing through tubes like it's the thing to do. It's a lot of punctures as they use a lot of sharp little rocks when they winter fix the roads. I'm out of the Air Force, living on the GI bill, so I don't have a whole lot of extra scrilla for super awesome tires.

Can anyone recommend some good bang for your buck type stuff?

Thanks guys!

DerickR3D

Chimp
Aug 16, 2016
Hey guys! I'm new here and know nothing about bikes. The main purpose of me being here is clear, get an affordable used bike.

I've done some "casual" study about types of bikes and the types I'm intending to buy are hybrid or mountain bike.

Here's the case, I'm an international student studying at The Ohio State University for around 3 years from now, so I guess it'll be great to have a bike which will help me commute to my campus and anywhere around it. The road around campus and anywhere around it is pretty much flat and pavement, so ideally a road bike or hybrid will work perfectly. The reason for me to exclude road bikes in my selection is the low handle which promotes aerodynamic, which I'm not a fan of (not really comfortable for me). Thus, I included the hybrid bike; which has higher handle, and mountain bike; high handle and cheaper.

Here's the catch, my budget can go only as high as 150$, that's pretty much it. I know a good bike should cost more than that and I might probably ending up with some S**ty A** bike with that money, but hey, why not give it a try on this forum, so I did it. Remember, I'm looking for used bikes, it can cost way cheaper compared to new ones, but any recommendations are welcomed!

I hope I can get my "budget bike hunting" dream come true in this forum.

Thanks!

DerickR3D

Chimp
Aug 16, 2016
These are few bikes that I found on Walmart:

700c Hyper SpinFit Men's Hybrid Bike
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Hyper-SpinFit-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike-Red/37370373?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=37370373&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=41da02a6-3e11-4cba-b8c8-e8e539db8262&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=21635130&parent_anchor_item_id=21635130&guid=37fcd2ab-9973-4f09-b1f2-3ccd5837855d&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Kent Bicycles 26" Northwoods Pomona Dual Suspension Comfort Bike
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-Bicycles-Men-s-Pamona-Cruiser/27331300?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=27331300&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=41da02a6-3e11-4cba-b8c8-e8e539db8262&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=21635130&parent_anchor_item_id=21635130&guid=37fcd2ab-9973-4f09-b1f2-3ccd5837855d&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

26" NEXT Avalon Men's Comfort Bike with Full Suspension
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Avalon-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/21635130

26" Hyper Havoc Full Suspension Men's Mountain Bike
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Hyper-Havoc-MTB-Men-s-Bike-Black/16531397?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=16531397&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=8c7acdea-abbd-4dc9-b190-498d52ea79a7&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=2061606&parent_anchor_item_id=2061606&guid=3fd894e5-e497-4379-8875-9879e0e7004e&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

They are considerably cheap, not sure about the quality tho. But the NEXT Avalon seems to be getting nice reviews on forum. Any ideas?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Craigslist, for something that didn't start out as scrap metal.