Quantcast

Official Covid-19 what are you drinking now..........

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I like their gins and poitin.
I selected it at random from the irish whisky shelf. wasn't too sure about the whole "aged in two separate casks" thing - it seemed kinda gimmicky for an irish whisky to me. My first try of it was not a resounding success. I usually add a dash of water to my spirits to help open them up a bit, but it didn't work with this one. At all. So I tried it neat. Now we're talking!

if I see other offerings from them, I'll give them a try.

They're based in the mountains of Wicklow... I wonder if any of them are riders?!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They're based in the mountains of Wicklow... I wonder if any of them are riders?!
Based on what I saw in Scotland a few years back, everyone there is a rider. :D

"Covid reserve" 1.5L bottle of Tanqueray gin has been opened. Isht isn't too bad in a G&T. I see a trip to a liquor store in my near future.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
wasn't too sure about the whole "aged in two separate casks" thing - it seemed kinda gimmicky for an irish whisky to me.
Out of curiosity, why?

Double casking is super, super common in basically any Whiskey that doesn't prohibit it. Unless it's a super short aging process I don't see why it would be gimmicky for an Irish whiskey. Used bourbon barrels with a sherry cask finish is one of the more common combos for Scotch. It would move the flavor profile away from the typical shortbread/vanilla/citrus profile of an Irish, but that only really became the typical flavor when Powers/Midleton/Jameson joined forces and brought everything under 1 roof.

It's cool seeing the industry come back, prior to the whiskey crash Ireland was the same as Scotland with a million unique distilleries everywhere all making variations of the stuff.

At first look I thought that was a beer from here in Rochester, Triphammer Bierworks. Their logos are almost exactly the same. That's borderline a copyright infringement lol.

View attachment 143729

Actually wouldn't be overly surprised if there were some connection. The same small group of investors has been parting with new money to open up breweries all over the place. They got their initial capital by distributing craft brew for all the tiny breweries that can’t get distribution elsewise, then cane of with a formula for how to run a small brewery/restaraunt and started opening up everywhere.

The parking lot is an impressive sight when all the investors are there, Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, couple of Raptors and M series Bimmers, they’re doing something right for sure

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Based on what I saw in Scotland a few years back, everyone there is a rider. :D

"Covid reserve" 1.5L bottle of Tanqueray gin has been opened. Isht isn't too bad in a G&T. I see a trip to a liquor store in my near future.
I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet for Margarita stuff the other day and came across an unopened bottle of The Botanist. No idea when I bought it, but it was a MOST welcome discovery. :busted:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Tonight’s selection, good glass of sauce. Super funky production method, and I’m not sure I 100% buy the claim that the ocean voyage “speeds up” aging, but it definitely does something. It’s a way more complex bourbon than it should be for being 4ish years in the barrel, and ends up with a lot of peppery citrus flavors. It’s sourced, so very little of the uniqueness is likely coming from the mash. They have a wheated one now, gotta track that down some day.
E2E08382-F160-48D4-8BB0-FF0B2EA23FFC.jpeg

Picture won’t flip correctly, but fuck it, fits the ocean theme and after another one or two it’ll look straight enough

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Out of curiosity, why?

Double casking is super, super common in basically any Whiskey that doesn't prohibit it. Unless it's a super short aging process I don't see why it would be gimmicky for an Irish whiskey. Used bourbon barrels with a sherry cask finish is one of the more common combos for Scotch. It would move the flavor profile away from the typical shortbread/vanilla/citrus profile of an Irish, but that only really became the typical flavor when Powers/Midleton/Jameson joined forces and brought everything under 1 roof.

It's cool seeing the industry come back, prior to the whiskey crash Ireland was the same as Scotland with a million unique distilleries everywhere all making variations of the stuff.

Actually wouldn't be overly surprised if there were some connection. The same small group of investors has been parting with new money to open up breweries all over the place. They got their initial capital by distributing craft brew for all the tiny breweries that can’t get distribution elsewise, then cane of with a formula for how to run a small brewery/restaraunt and started opening up everywhere.

The parking lot is an impressive sight when all the investors are there, Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, couple of Raptors and M series Bimmers, they’re doing something right for sure
I have the woodford double-oaked right now and I really like it, good bold/rich complex flavor.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm happy to report that I have restocked on whiskey. I learned that a local distillery that has been on my list of places to visit for a taste is doing curbside pickup of online orders. I ordered a bottle of their Pennsylvania Rye and their Bourbon and Rye Blend and am glad I did. Most of the craft whiskey I've tasted has fallen well below my expectations, but this place is on the money; very well done.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
:stupid:
I have to say though, Tanqueray isn't a great choice for having it neat. Uncle Val's Botanical, OTOH ... :drool:
Tanqueray and other low budget gin are good enough for drinks. Had a few yesterday with Bombay. But did get a couple shots of Brockmans on ice. Tasty. #notaginsnob

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Last night’s elixir, 2 parts tequila, 1part each lime juice and orange liquor stuff, tiny bit of simple syrup to keep the wife happy, shake with ice, dump into a pint glass full of ice about 3/4 full, rimmed with Tajin, then fill the rest of the way with Topo Chico. If you’re awesome, add another hefty splash of tequila
844084A5-9FFD-48E3-B5E5-B5E02136C87F.jpeg

also good for lines of blow
Keep your razor blade off teh carbonz

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nice one. You'd think that Citronage would be sweet enough but ya gotta give the customers what they want, amirite?

Also for extra awesome I've been adding a mezcal floater to margs these days, adds a nice smoky touch if you're into that kind of thing.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Nice one. You'd think that Citronage would be sweet enough but ya gotta give the customers what they want, amirite?

Also for extra awesome I've been adding a mezcal floater to margs these days, adds a nice smoky touch if you're into that kind of thing.
Generally the orange is enough, but the limes I’ve been getting are extra sour lately, happy wife happy life or something like that.

Have not added Mezcal to these, may have to give it a go though. If I’m drinking Mezcal it’s either in a Paloma out neat, which reminds me, I need a Mezcal...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I fucking love mezcal in a 'rita. :drool:

Generally the orange is enough, but the limes I’ve been getting are extra sour lately, happy wife happy life or something like that.
I have it on *very* good authority that if you swap out the lime for Meyers lemons everybody wins. Sadly, I've had a *dickens* of a time finding Meyers lemons...