Quantcast

Official Covid-19 what are you drinking now..........

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
breakfast beers, nice.
did you work the night shift?
Always. Screw that day stuff. 7p-7a three nights a week. Once in an extremely rare occurrence I will do a fourth just to remind myself why I only do three.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Always. Screw that day stuff. 7p-7a three nights a week. Once in an extremely rare occurrence I will do a fourth just to remind myself why I only do three.
have things calmed down at all in your hospital, COVID-wise? Are there signs of leveling or a drop in new cases?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
have things calmed down at all in your hospital, COVID-wise? Are there signs of leveling or a drop in new cases?
Yes to both. Our high point had us at 60-ish ventilated C19 patients. As of this morning we are down to 14. Most of whom did not go home and will probably not go home. Our normal ICU is 20 beds. We expanded to several areas to give us a total of 80 to a 100 depending on space and ventilator usage.

It is not done fucking with us, and I am sure we will see further ups and downs.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yes to both. Our high point had us at 60-ish ventilated C19 patients. As of this morning we are down to 14. Most of whom did not go home and will probably not go home. Our normal ICU is 20 beds. We expanded to several areas to give us a total of 80 to a 100 depending on space and ventilator usage.

It is not done fucking with us, and I am sure we will see further ups and downs.
good news, I guess.
If you don't mind me asking, are you and the rest of the staff tested frequently?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Ive been abstaining. so lots of coffee & canned water & tea.

IMG_0561.JPG

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We've been enjoying what we call "Manhaperols" lately. Basically a Manhatten but sub 50% of the vermouth with the same amount of Aperol.

Roughly 4 parts rye or bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica or Punt e Mes are my faves), 1 part Aperol, and a heavy dose of bitters. Can be served up or on rocks. Bonus baller points if over a BAC (Big Ass Cube) with a flamed orange peel and/or Luxardo cherry. :drool:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A picture that I found on a pilot-site. Myself will be having a dram of whiskey....The pic does remind me of when I was younger we would top off Corona's with lemon-rum, turn them upside down to mix, then drink...definitely not doing that ever again...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I need a good Margarita recipe. I recently acquired a shaker, and the recipe that came with it is... meh. I have Cointreau and Espolon tequila, fresh limes, coarse sea salt to line the rim of the glass. The best I've gotten has been doing 1.5 tequila, 1 Cointreau, .5 lime. Pour all ingredients in shaker, add 4-5 ice cubes, shake, pour into salt rimmed glass with one ice cube in it. It's not what I was expecting. I tried 2 tequila - 1 cointreau - 1 lime, and 2 tequila - 1 cointreau - .5 lime, but it's still not to my liking.

I'm beginning to think I prefer margaritas made with Mezcal. I'll eventually try that, but in the mean time, I'm wondering if there's something else I'm doing wrong? (or could do better...).

Suggestions?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I need a good Margarita recipe. I recently acquired a shaker, and the recipe that came with it is... meh. I have Cointreau and Espolon tequila, fresh limes, coarse sea salt to line the rim of the glass. The best I've gotten has been doing 1.5 tequila, 1 Cointreau, .5 lime. Pour all ingredients in shaker, add 4-5 ice cubes, shake, pour into salt rimmed glass with one ice cube in it. It's not what I was expecting. I tried 2 tequila - 1 cointreau - 1 lime, and 2 tequila - 1 cointreau - .5 lime, but it's still not to my liking.

I'm beginning to think I prefer margaritas made with Mezcal. I'll eventually try that, but in the mean time, I'm wondering if there's something else I'm doing wrong? (or could do better...).

Suggestions?
From someone I trust implicitly when it comes to a Margarita:

3:2:1
3: Silver tequila, I like Milagro
2: Cointreau or Citronage
1: fresh-squeezed lemon juice, Meyer lemons if you can get them. Limes are generally more bitter.
And, yeah, shaken.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
From someone I trust implicitly when it comes to a Margarita:

3:2:1
3: Silver tequila, I like Milagro
2: Cointreau or Citronage
1: fresh-squeezed lemon juice, Meyer lemons if you can get them. Limes are generally more bitter.
And, yeah, shaken.
If you use limes add agave nectar (like honey), the sweetness balances out the bitter

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
@slyfink, it would be helpful if you can identify what you don't like. Is it too sweet, too acidic, what?

Like other cocktails, it's about figuring out the right balance and then tailoring it to your tastes. I personally do not like sweet drinks so for me, your recipe is too heavy on the Cointreu. I go with more like 4 parts tequila, 2 parts lime juice, and 1 part simple syrup or agave nectar. (Cointreu is fine, but it's expensive and I don't really want the orange flavor. Nectar/syrup are essentially neutral in flavor but they bring the desired sweetness.)

I'd say just keep experimenting until you find the right ratio. (Taking notes will help you remember the stuff that tequila helps you forget!) Also don't forget that you get some dilution from melting ice.

Silver tequila works great, but if you like more depth of flavor, try a reposado. Whatever you use, make sure it's 100% agave and not some bullshit like Cuervo.

Subbing mezcal completely for the tequila is a bit much for my taste but I do like a mezcal floater in my marg, give it a try.