Quantcast

Official Covid-19 what are you drinking now..........

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@slyfink, it would be helpful if you can identify what you don't like. Is it too sweet, too acidic, what?

Like other cocktails, it's about figuring out the right balance and then tailoring it to your tastes. I personally do not like sweet drinks so for me, your recipe is too heavy on the Cointreu. I go with more like 4 parts tequila, 2 parts lime juice, and 1 part simple syrup or agave nectar. (Cointreu is fine, but it's expensive and I don't really want the orange flavor. Nectar/syrup are essentially neutral in flavor but they bring the desired sweetness.)

I'd say just keep experimenting until you find the right ratio. (Taking notes will help you remember the stuff that tequila helps you forget!) Also don't forget that you get some dilution from melting ice.

Silver tequila works great, but if you like more depth of flavor, try a reposado. Whatever you use, make sure it's 100% agave and not some bullshit like Cuervo.

Subbing mezcal completely for the tequila is a bit much for my taste but I do like a mezcal floater in my marg, give it a try.
I guess I find it a little bitter. So I'll try lemons tonight. I think I have to make a run to the grocery store later, so I'll see what I find. I'll also look for Agave syrup. I also think I really like the smokiness of mezcal. I find tequila a bit bland. Some might call it subtle, but I think I prefer the punch of mezcal. I like how it punches through the tartness of the lemon (lime?) and the blend of smokiness and acidity.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I guess I find it a little bitter. So I'll try lemons tonight. I think I have to make a run to the grocery store later, so I'll see what I find. I'll also look for Agave syrup. I also think I really like the smokiness of mezcal. I find tequila a bit bland. Some might call it subtle, but I think I prefer the punch of mezcal. I like how it punches through the tartness of the lemon (lime?) and the blend of smokiness and acidity.
I, too, am a big fan of the mezcalrita. I should get some mezcal...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If by bitter you mean acidic, you could also just try a little less lime juice. I’m suspicious of anyone using lemons and still calling it a margarita. :D It can be tasty, it’s just something different.

Seriously, you shouldn’t need to switch to lemons and if you think you do, there’s probably something off with your ratio. It’s all about the balance. You’re close enough that all you probably need is a little more trial and error. A classic margarita is very simple, and sometimes the simple things are the hardest to get right.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If by bitter you mean acidic, you could also just try a little less lime juice. I’m suspicious of anyone using lemons and still calling it a margarita. :D It can be tasty, it’s just something different.

Seriously, you shouldn’t need to switch to lemons and if you think you do, there’s probably something off with your ratio. It’s all about the balance. You’re close enough that all you probably need is a little more trial and error. A classic margarita is very simple, and sometimes the simple things are the hardest to get right.
No no, I'm quite familiar with the difference between bitter and acidic, given that I put quite a bit of effort in separating those two things in my espressos at least three times a day. I like bright acidity. I can do without bitterness. But I hear what you're saying. And I totally agree with "the simple things are the hardest to get right".

On that note, I wonder if my citrus squeezer is contributing bitterness... I use one of these:
1590618330811.png

because I was led to believe they extract the juice and less bitterness from the pith and rind... Is there truth to that?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You may just have shitty limes. Food scientists are busy making burger patties out of pea protein even though cows are plentiful and easy to kill, but nobody seems to be working on perfecting the lime. Sometimes they’re sweet, sometimes they’re bitter, sometimes they’re almost juice-less. I’d suspect your limes

2:1:1 seems to be the ideal ratio, maybe add a quarter to a half part simple syrup or agave nectar if you’re limes are too sour, and them class it up however you see fit, salt, Tajin, splash of Topo Chico, Mezcal floater, etc

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
since being on furlough and ultimately loosing my job since my former company eliminated my position, I've visited more breweries than ever before. granted most are curbside pickup but I caught the sour bug. I'm really loving sour beers and that's what 2 shelves in my fridge are filled with.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ordered a case of these: https://www.dominioncity.ca/products/sunsplit and a few of these: https://www.dominioncity.ca/products/safer-shores-ipa
for my weeklong canoe camping trip this week. We have to canoe to the site, but there is a service that delivers fresh ice, water, and wood to your site on request. They can also bring your gear to your site, which allows me to bring a good quantity of good booze. Will also bring whisky, gin, and rum.

I have a comfy camp chair, and two good books. My kids will be playing with their cousins in various watercraft. Am very much looking forward to this.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Bought a few bottles of whisky today, and had a couple good drams over the weekend, but last nights wine was the drink of the weekend for sure. Had this one in the rack for four-ish years, but never got around to drinking it, figured toasting the pup’s ascent to Valhalla was as good a reason as we were ever going to get. ‘86 Lynch-Bages
9E4FA21F-9E24-4F42-84A0-EE32E1ABF847.jpeg

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That cork tho… Not too knowledgeable about Bordeaux, hope it was tasty.

We've been getting after the whiskey sours again lately. 2:1:1 bourbon or rye/fresh lemon juice/simple syrup. Super easy, super refreshing, super dangerous.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Not super knowledgeable about wine in general, for some reason I just can’t remember specifics about it the way I can whisky and to a lesser extent tequila. A bottle of wine is a one night deal, so I have a lot more time to live with and drink a whisky. I know a couple nerds who can tell you every detail about a bottle, what side of the valley, what the weather was like the year it was harvested etc, that’s a level I’ll never be on. However, that was an amazing bottle of wine, so much so that I may actually remember what it was next time I’m shopping for a good Bordeaux to lay down for a while.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I recently (two weeks ago) began dabbling in Bourbon. I've always been a Scotch, Irish whiskey, Calvados and Armagnac drinker.

I was told to start with Basil Hayden and Woodford reserve. I just finished my first bottle of Basil Hayden tonight, and cracked open the Woodford. First impressions were of a strong hit of maraschino cherry. It's ok, but I find Basil more complex and appealing.

Any recommendations on where to go from here?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I went to high school with the head distiller at George dickel. Her new 13yr bottled in bond blue label is pretty good. Very complex, about 40. My favorite is woodford and makers though, so ymmv. Neither have the burn of basil Hayden's

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I recently (two weeks ago) began dabbling in Bourbon. I've always been a Scotch, Irish whiskey, Calvados and Armagnac drinker.

I was told to start with Basil Hayden and Woodford reserve. I just finished my first bottle of Basil Hayden tonight, and cracked open the Woodford. First impressions were of a strong hit of maraschino cherry. It's ok, but I find Basil more complex and appealing.

Any recommendations on where to go from here?

What are your go-to Scotch and Irish whiskies?

A lot of bourbons lean toward sweet notes, vanilla, cherry, molasses etc, especially in the proofed down varieties. Knowing what notes you like in other whiskies helps a lot in knowing which direction to head in bourbon.