Quantcast

Official Covid-19 what are you drinking now..........

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I recently (two weeks ago) began dabbling in Bourbon. I've always been a Scotch, Irish whiskey, Calvados and Armagnac drinker.

I was told to start with Basil Hayden and Woodford reserve. I just finished my first bottle of Basil Hayden tonight, and cracked open the Woodford. First impressions were of a strong hit of maraschino cherry. It's ok, but I find Basil more complex and appealing.

Any recommendations on where to go from here?
It's like wine - pick a price point and start exploring. You might also try some rye. It can be interesting to compare a particular distiller's rye and bourbon side-by-side.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I recently (two weeks ago) began dabbling in Bourbon. I've always been a Scotch, Irish whiskey, Calvados and Armagnac drinker.

I was told to start with Basil Hayden and Woodford reserve. I just finished my first bottle of Basil Hayden tonight, and cracked open the Woodford. First impressions were of a strong hit of maraschino cherry. It's ok, but I find Basil more complex and appealing.

My tastes are kind of all over the place, but some of regulars are Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Widow Jane Straight 10 yr, Larceny, Four Roses single barrel, and Russel's Reserve 10 yr.

My favorite rye is from Stoll and Wolfe

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My tastes are kind of all over the place, but some of regulars are Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Widow Jane Straight 10 yr, Larceny, Four Roses single barrel, and Russel's Reserve 10 yr.

My favorite rye is from Stoll and Wolfe
Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace make it into my rotation on a regular basis, Four Roses iOS also nice. I haven't tried some of the others you have listed. Widow Jane looks interesting.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have about.....20 bottles of stuff that have ~1 pour left that I can't bring myself to finish off.

I like to have a big bottle of Bulleit rye on hand for old fashioneds. The rest are a mix of everything from JD and Rebel Yell to Parker's Heritage and Van Winkle.

Some of my all time favorites are:
Widow Jane 7yr
High West Yippee Kiyay
Elijah Craig 12yr
Michters toasted barrel bourbon

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i'm weird like that too. scotch and whiskey? love em. never got into bourbon. i've had some decent ones (like aforementioned BH), just never did it for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We had friends over Saturday night and they like Jameson, so I grabbed a bottle for them. I don't mind it, a shot of Jameson with a double IPA seems to work well.
jamesons is about the lowest i can go anymore in regards to whiskey. my wife's not a whiskey drinker and she even likes tellamore

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I really wish Jameson would release a cask strength, or close to it, edition of the normal green bottle stuff. It's a really good, right down the middle Irish, and a 100proof wouldn't be much more expensive, but it would take care of the "thinness" in Jemson. There are a few pubs in Ireland that allegedly sell higher proof Jameson as their house brand, and it's a great pour. Inexplicably the classic Jameson is $5/bottle more than Tullamore, and Tull. is a better whiskey, so I really only have Jameson on hand for those that ask for it by name, and keep Tull on hand for myself.

Local Kroger had Sazerac rye for $12/bottle, Highland Park Magnus for $27, and Bushmills Red Bush for $14, picked up 2 of each, and saved and additional 30% for buying 6 bottles. I owe the liquor department manager a handshake and a gift-card to a decent restaurant, they've been screwing up and running crazy good close-outs a ton lately.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What are your go-to Scotch and Irish whiskies?

A lot of bourbons lean toward sweet notes, vanilla, cherry, molasses etc, especially in the proofed down varieties. Knowing what notes you like in other whiskies helps a lot in knowing which direction to head in bourbon.
I started off really liking peaty whiskeys. Laphroaig was my introduction to whiskey. I stuck with Isla whiskeys for a really long time. Laphroaig, Bruichladdie (organic was my favourite), and Lagavulin. But Lag priced me out of their range. Then I realized that not all spirits need to taste like the sea.

My mom is from (and still lives in) Calvados, so naturally, I have quite an affinity for it. When I have some I can close my eyes and go back to my grandfather's cider cellars at her home. I also recall some long conversations with people who had lived through the war, watching the sun set on former battlefields. The stuff really transports me.

When I wasn't in the mood for iodine or a walk down memory lane, I also really liked Armagnac. There's something about it that reminds me of grape seeds, in a good way. But then I discovered there were some great Irish whiskeys, and they are very affordable. I think my favourite was a Redbreast 12 y.o. but it's kinda getting up there in price. I also like Writers Tears, and enjoyed Glendalough this summer. It's light and drinkable.

Bourbon seems to have a fairly sweet, warm vanilla taste. I like it, it's a nice change from the other sprits.

I should also note I prefer most of my spirits neat, or with just a dash of water to open them up a bit. I'm too lazy to make cocktails!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My mom is from (and still lives in) Calvados, so naturally, I have quite an affinity for it. When I have some I can close my eyes and go back to my grandfather's cider cellars at her home. I also recall some long conversations with people who had lived through the war, watching the sun set on former battlefields. The stuff really transports me.
I have a bottle of this... only ever used it for chicken Normandy. Should I just drink some straight up? :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I started off really liking peaty whiskeys. Laphroaig was my introduction to whiskey. I stuck with Isla whiskeys for a really long time. Laphroaig, Bruichladdie (organic was my favourite), and Lagavulin. But Lag priced me out of their range. Then I realized that not all spirits need to taste like the sea.
No, they need to taste like a campfire.

Patiently waiting for the Laga-Costco sale.

The Laga 8 is decent. Ardbeg 10 is very similar to Laga IME, but recently has gone up significantly in cost too. I got some Costco Laphroiag and was pleasantly surprised, my previous Laphs always tasted overly chemical-ly and not as sweet as Laga.

I'm pretty deadset on Islays still, sometimes an in-between Speyside is ok, but the Highlands just burn too much and I'm not a fan of the flavor. I like Whiskeys and Bourbons over that.

I'd like to try more Irish whiskys.

I like it neat too, with some icewater nearby to "reset" my pallet.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I think I've given up beer for the 17th time this month, and it's only the 4th. This time I mean it.

Thinking I might go back to sticking with bourbon and rye only again, winter time makes that easier. Maybe kill a bunch of bottles with a pour or 2 left and replace with some new stuff.
IMG_20201104_212036334.jpg
IMG_20201104_212115767_compress44.jpg

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think I've given up beer for the 17th time this month, and it's only the 4th. This time I mean it.

Thinking I might go back to sticking with bourbon and rye only again, winter time makes that easier. Maybe kill a bunch of bottles with a pour or 2 left and replace with some new stuff.
View attachment 151804View attachment 151806
The only reason I’d quit beer is if I had a supply like that, and yeah it still wouldn’t last long.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
how do you like that old forrester....
It's really good considering it's a $25 bottle of bourbon. Nothing knock your socks off great, but smooth and decent flavor that you can sip straight or on the rocks and actually enjoy, unlike a lot of stuff in that range that is best utilized for cocktails only.
Which Jefferson's is that?
(So good)
Jefferson's Very Small Batch Bourbon. Been a while since I've had it to be honest, will have to have it again soon. Was always intrigued by the Bottled/Aged at Sea (?) they have as well, but remember it being pretty pricey.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's really good considering it's a $25 bottle of bourbon. Nothing knock your socks off great, but smooth and decent flavor that you can sip straight or on the rocks and actually enjoy, unlike a lot of stuff in that range that is best utilized for cocktails only.
I filled my flask up with it and was surprised on my ride yesterday, was still getting good taste from it in the flask in the cold ;) I got the two-pack at Costco that had a 90-proof and 100-proof bottle of OF.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a couple of these waiting in my fridge:
1607717877514.png

I've been waiting for the big announcement that I've been working on to crack one open. We're doing a celebratory Zoom call this afternoon after the big push to get it all done, so I'll crack it then. I've recently rediscovered stouts, and only recently discovered Bourbon, so I have high hops for this beer.

(see what I did there?!?!)