Quantcast

Official Covid-19 what are you drinking now..........

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Weirdly I'm still into Nikka from the Barrell which I know is a cheap blend but I prefer it to most Scottish single malts which are interesting but often not drinkable past the tasting phase. If I want a weird taste I'd just buy from empirical spirits and their weird AF creations like Habanero Spirit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Weirdly I'm still into Nikka from the Barrell which I know is a cheap blend but I prefer it to most Scottish single malts which are interesting but often not drinkable past the tasting phase. If I want a weird taste I'd just buy from empirical spirits and their weird AF creations like Habanero Spirit.
Most highland stuff is too "spicy" for me. But then again, give me smoke.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Most highland stuff is too "spicy" for me. But then again, give me smoke.
I don't smoke so I have a better excuse. But yeah that stuff is interesting when you first try it but then it gets boring. Plus as I've said there are other interesting spirits if you want interesting spirits.

I wonder will there be some revisionist/ new weave movement in spirits like we had in Coffee and now to a lesser extent in wine.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
La chouffe, Spanish for “the chouffe”
As in this Chouffe?! https://chouffe.com/en-gb/beers/la-chouffe/#

I got hammered a few too many times from that in my university days... it tastes terrible as vomit. and the hangover... oh god the hangover...

but now that my tastes have evolved, and I drink much more responsibly (which is to say every night since having kids!) I'd be curious to give it a try again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As in this Chouffe?! https://chouffe.com/en-gb/beers/la-chouffe/#

I got hammered a few too many times from that in my university days... it tastes terrible as vomit. and the hangover... oh god the hangover...

but now that my tastes have evolved, and I drink much more responsibly (which is to say every night since having kids!) I'd be curious to give it a try again.
That is the chouffe. I think it's quite tasty. Pretty standard for a belgian double ale. A little sweet, yeasty, high strength.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I wonder will there be some revisionist/ new weave movement in spirits like we had in Coffee and now to a lesser extent in wine.
I think we're already in that revolution. No age statement, new/interesting barrels, blends like Compass Box, and all the cool shit happening here with American whisky (Single Malts, peated, heirloom grains, new make, etc) definitely seems like a revolution to me. Scotch will take a while to completely catch up just due to the time it takes to age whisky over there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think we're already in that revolution. No age statement, new/interesting barrels, blends like Compass Box, and all the cool shit happening here with American whisky (Single Malts, peated, heirloom grains, new make, etc) definitely seems like a revolution to me. Scotch will take a while to completely catch up just due to the time it takes to age whisky over there.
It's probably why I didn't notice being in Yurp. The change is mostly happening on your side of the atlantic.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Medusa's Laser Cat. We visited the brewery last week, I think it made a huge positive difference for the downtown of Hudson. Will bang again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have some belching beaver Mexican Chocolate Stout that is from way way too long ago. I need to throw it out. It was "ok" like once, and then after that the novelty was gone and yuck.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I’m about to share a very unpopular opinion….

I find Japanese whiskey borderline un-drinkable. I’ve tried high end, bottom of the barrel, and a couple in between, I just can’t. Received a bottle of Shibiu 10 as a gift, $150 bottle of whiskey and I can’t even stand it in a whiskey coke. Makes no sense.

Grabbed the last bottle of this that Costco had, good stuff. Also, I need to drink more, my bar is getting out of control
2B9D2AF1-3554-4572-B376-7CC0850599E6.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I find Japanese whiskey borderline un-drinkable. I’ve tried high end, bottom of the barrel, and a couple in between, I just can’t. Received a bottle of Shibiu 10 as a gift, $150 bottle of whiskey and I can’t even stand it in a whiskey coke. Makes no sense.

Grabbed the last bottle of this that Costco had, good stuff. Also, I need to drink more, my bar is getting out of control
View attachment 190460
If you can't drink it straight, it doesn't belong in a coke. I've had a few decent Japanese...but I can get better American IME and not pay as much at the same time.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

I've had quite a few here in the States that have been just okay at best. However, some of the stuff you can't get here and only in Japan is another ballgame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

View attachment 190460
Totally reasonable, and I'm happy that there is enough for us all to enjoy. I've never found japanese whiskey to be particularly good or bad, usually I see it as a more mellow version of scotch. There are plenty of people who like IPA, so not everybody can have a functional palette :D