Quantcast

Official Fall Monkeyfest 2011

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
At this point we have no plans to run the summit lift for lift served mountain biking, we still have numerous trails that can be developed on the lower mountain and to be honest the upper mountain is too steep for all but the most extreme riders.

Hate!

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
At this point we have no plans to run the summit lift for lift served mountain biking, we still have numerous trails that can be developed on the lower mountain and to be honest the upper mountain is too steep for all but the most extreme riders.

Hate!
Yea, if I were them I would wait till there is a big demand for it. It is expensive to run the lifts and they wouldn't get their money back at $15 a person.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Yea, if I were them I would wait till there is a big demand for it. It is expensive to run the lifts and they wouldn't get their money back at $15 a person.
Yeah I can imagine that if they were running two lifts then they'd probably start charging more than $15 for a lift ticket.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well color me the minority. If Burke offered competitive DH like other places, my desire to go other places would be diminished by the excellent XC that burke already offers. Yes, they'd have to build a DH trail network, but no, that shouldn't be a big deal with KT offices around the corner.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Must investigate further! :thumb:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
As of right now my wife Terri is 90% coming up to Fall Monkeyfest. I dont want to put her down as a definite yet because she still has a few things to cover at work for that weekend but it's looking pretty positive at the moment. She'll bring her bike but doesnt really ride off road (and her bike is basically a Walmart special w/ 1"-2" of travel on the front fork). She mainly want to do a little hiking and relaxing around the lodge.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
As of right now my wife Terri is 90% coming up to Fall Monkeyfest. I dont want to put her down as a definite yet because she still has a few things to cover at work for that weekend but it's looking pretty positive at the moment. She'll bring her bike but doesnt really ride off road (and her bike is basically a Walmart special w/ 1"-2" of travel on the front fork). She mainly want to do a little hiking and relaxing around the lodge.
:thumb: I have 2-3 others that are also at 90% and will know this week. :weee:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
So, who's interested in smoked pulled pork for dinner one night? If a couple of people would like to make some sides to go with it we can all give TreeSaw a well deserved night off.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
So, who's interested in smoked pulled pork for dinner one night? If a couple of people would like to make some sides to go with it we can all give TreeSaw a well deserved night off.
I'm totally down with that. Are we thinking about doing this on Saturday night or Sunday night?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm totally down with that. Are we thinking about doing this on Saturday night or Sunday night?
Sunday please (we have vegetarians joining us on Saturday). I'll gladly make a side dish too (broccoli slaw sound good to anyone?)

Edit: Family emergency = no vegetarian coming so Saturday will be great (and make for great lunch on Sunday with the leftovers!!!!

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Sunday please (we have vegetarians joining us on Saturday). I'll gladly make a side dish too (broccoli slaw sound good to anyone?)
Vegetarians at Monkeyfest?!? Does this mean no meat for breakfest on Saturday? You're making this monkey panic :eek:

(just kidding) :D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Had a brilliant time last weekend. Up at 5am, first guys up the lift! Rode the park until noon, then hit darlington hill in the afternoon.

Awesome place. Cannot wait to go back!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I hiked Burke the same time you were riding it, I think. That was...fun (6.71 miles and 3400ft of vert)
Yeah? We were up on Sunday. How was the hiking? Good hike? How many hours did it take?
Thinking of doing that one weekend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah? We were up on Sunday. How was the hiking? Good hike? How many hours did it take?
Thinking of doing that one weekend.
Quite a challenge in the end. We thought it wouldn't take much time, and said probably 30 times that "we're almost near the top". It keeps getting harder and harder as well, starting out on a dirt fireroad and getting to some pretty steep but easily climbable granite faces near the summit. It took us about 5 hours I think, and we walked down the toll road, which I'm still not sure was a good idea. I think next time I'd pack a little razor scooter and just roll down it. It was a fun hike, and we enjoyed it, but my legs are still sore. I'm a very amateur hiker, so if you're experienced it's probably nothing.

The weather sucked though, 9000% humidity and no wind, felt like I was swimming.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Quite a challenge in the end. We thought it wouldn't take much time, and said probably 30 times that "we're almost near the top". It keeps getting harder and harder as well, starting out on a dirt fireroad and getting to some pretty steep but easily climbable granite faces near the summit. It took us about 5 hours I think, and we walked down the toll road, which I'm still not sure was a good idea. I think next time I'd pack a little razor scooter and just roll down it. It was a fun hike, and we enjoyed it, but my legs are still sore. I'm a very amateur hiker, so if you're experienced it's probably nothing.

The weather sucked though, 9000% humidity and no wind, felt like I was swimming.
Yeah, I'm not much of a hiker either, but have done these kinds of hikes in the past. Thanks for the suggestions!

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
Ok, I got the green light and am 100% comitted to joining this party. I'm bringing a new monkey with me too. His name is Michael Herzog. We're going to have to help him come up with an appropriate (or inappropriate) screen name. Sorry, no Laudy this time but maybe I can record him and rig up a speaker system for effect on the trail.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Ok, I got the green light and am 100% comitted to joining this party. I'm bringing a new monkey with me too. His name is Michael Herzog. We're going to have to help him come up with an appropriate (or inappropriate) screen name. Sorry, no Laudy this time but maybe I can record him and rig up a speaker system for effect on the trail.
:weee: YEAH!!!!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
It's probably a lot for 7-10 people but I'll smoke 2 shoulders, whatever we don't have for dinner can get made into burritos or omelets on Monday.

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
It's probably a lot for 7-10 people but I'll smoke 2 shoulders, whatever we don't have for dinner can get made into burritos or omelets on Monday.
Last I checked Treesaw's list we are up to 11 people. Hopefully we'll have a few more last minute additions.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I'm teetering on the edge of the fence... I had other plans for that weekend initially, but it *appears* as though they've been blown out of the water. So this is my back up plan. Should know for sure on Monday.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I'm teetering on the edge of the fence... I had other plans for that weekend initially, but it *appears* as though they've been blown out of the water. So this is my back up plan. Should know for sure on Monday.
Come to Monkeyfest, Peer pressure!

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
I should be up there sometime Saturday evening. Not sure if I will stay til Monday since i "technically" don't have Monday off. Still up in the air as to if my wife is coming or not.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I can grab the rolls if you'd like...just let me know!
That would be fine. Becky is going to make cornbread, with the slaw you offered to make I'd say we're almost there. Maybe another veggie side dish and beans or potatoes...anybody?

BTW, the pork is coming along nicely, I can't wait to snack on this as I get it packed away in food saver bags tonight.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
That would be fine. Becky is going to make cornbread, with the slaw you offered to make I'd say we're almost there. Maybe another veggie side dish and beans or potatoes...anybody?

BTW, the pork is coming along nicely, I can't wait to snack on this as I get it packed away in food saver bags tonight.
Cool...it looks delicious (I've been FB stalking you) :)
I can grab some Bush's beans if no one else says they're bringing anything and I jazz them up so they'll be tasty too!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Okay monkeys....I need you to vote your order of preference for 1 dinner.

1. Homemade Mac-n-Cheese (my standard)
2. Lasagne
3. Chicken & Stuffing Bake (I made it last fall monkeyfest)

and your preference for soup for lunches (I'll make 2, one for Sat & one for Sun)

1. Italian Chicken (made it last fall monkeyfest)
2. Zuppa Toscana (potato, kale and sausage)
3. Tomato and roasted red pepper

Make your choices so I can do the shopping!

With the 12 of us it looks like it's going to be $100 per person (including all the food) regardless of what you select! That cost will go down if more sign-on this week (unless it drastically increases the amount of food needed, but I highly doubt that will happen).

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Still not 100% if Terri is coming yet or not but she will probably help me make up some homemade potato salad for Sunday dinner. Also maybe I can talk her into making some homemade brownies with white chocolate and butterscotch chips.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Okay monkeys....I need you to vote your order of preference for 1 dinner.

1. Homemade Mac-n-Cheese (my standard)
2. Lasagne
3. Chicken & Stuffing Bake (I made it last fall monkeyfest)

and your preference for soup for lunches (I'll make 2, one for Sat & one for Sun)

1. Italian Chicken (made it last fall monkeyfest)
2. Zuppa Toscana (potato, kale and sausage)
3. Tomato and roasted red pepper

Make your choices so I can do the shopping!
I vote for either Lasagne or Chicken/Stuffing for dinner on Saturday. For the soups I would prefer the Italian Chicken and the Zuppa Toscana (but leave the onions bigger so I can pick them out if onions are required).