Quantcast

Official Fall Monkeyfest 2011

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Welcome to the official “Fall Monkeyfest 2011” Thread!

We are confirmed for Columbus Day Weekend!!!!

First thing you need to do is confirm space, there are beds for 22 so it’s a “first-committed first-served basis”. This only guarantees you a bunk…it’s not middle school so I don’t assign beds…you get to choose yours when you arrive. There is also space in the family room area and the loft for air mattresses and/or cots, so we can actually accommodate about 25-30 people total.

We’ve got the Algonquin Lodge reserved for arrival on Friday,October 7th after 2pm and staying through Monday, October 10th (departing at noon). I will have a more exact cost closer to the date (once grocery shopping is complete) but it’s usually around $85 for the weekend and that includes your lodging and food.
In terms of food:
• Friday dinner = potluck/on your own
• I will be including Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on Saturday and Sunday and Breakfast on Monday in the cost of the lodge.
• I will also be bringing Clif & LUNA Minis and various snack foods (included in the overall cost).
• Bring your own beer and/or other beverages to share. As in the past, I will have coffee, OJ, and lemonade mix.

By confirming in this thread, you are committed to paying for your space. Cancellations made more than 3 weeks in advance will require a nominal fee (usually just the cost of the lodge vs. the full amount including food) unless we are able to fill the space. I’ll keep this post updated with the confirmed attendees and other details as we get closer to the date.

Questions?

Confirmed:
TreeSaw & Sq-Earl (F-M)
Crombie1
IceBall585 & Terri
BadDNA & Becky
Greggah (S-M?)
Jim (friend of TreeSaw & Sq-Earl)
D2
Michael Herzog (w/D2)
MudGrl
Idluv2
Sandwich

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't commit at this time, but hopefully I can make it....we'll see.

Would love to bring my smoker up and do a pork shoulder or some salmon...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I can't commit at this time, but hopefully I can make it....we'll see.

Would love to bring my smoker up and do a pork shoulder or some salmon...
I was thinking about doing a couple of pork shoulders ahead of time and reheating it there and TreeSaw and I talked it over briefly. I've got a fairly large offset that I can fit up to 6 shoulders/butts on at a time if you want to get together for a day of smoke and beer ahead of MF.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
holy crap, that sounds alright....

I've heard offsets require more attention that vertical water smokers, which is what i have (ECB). I was thinking set up the smoker, go ride, give it more fire and water, go ride MOAR, then pull it off and eat meat....but pre-smoking it is probably smarter!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Combie1 and I will most likely drive up Friday night after work and stay through Monday morning.

Also, I'm already dreaming of my next ride down Jester... :weee:

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Combie1 and I will most likely drive up Friday night after work and stay through Monday morning.

Also, I'm already dreaming of my next ride down Jester... :weee:
:thumb: Yes, we were talking about a Jester day last night :weee:

I have a half day of school on Friday so we'll be up there Friday night. We're investigating places to ride along the way (already been to Millstone & Pine Hill...something else would be great).

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Just found this, I wonder what they're up to...

Kingdom Trails said:
The new J-Bar re-route is done! No more muddy, blown-out decent along the brook! Also we spent the day cutting 12+ big curved hemlocks to use for one of the coolest bridges you'll ever see for the bottom part of Jester.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Just found this, I wonder what they're up to...

I suspect that the trail will not be merging with black forest in the ski slope at the steep downhill. i bet it continues into another wooded section or OVER black forest and back into the woods. :)

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
There's also this from last week...

Kingdom Trails said:
Kitchel just got some major work done on it just in time for the weekend... all brake bumps, ruts, blowouts are now fixed. Also we've got the new J-Bar re-route cut and ready to be constructed! We're staying busy so you all can pedal your socks off!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Becky is definitely in, we've got a dog sitter for the puppy.

Let me know if you want me to cook some pig for one (or more) of the meals.
And this....
"The new J-Bar re-route is done! No more muddy, blown-out decent along the brook! Also we spent the day cutting 12+ big curved hemlocks to use for one of the coolest bridges you'll ever see for the bottom part of Jester."

:weee:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Is that a yes on the pulled pork shoulder? We'll need to decide on N. Carolina style (vinegar based sauce), Tennessee style (tomato based sauce) or some of both. I'll need to make different dry rubs and cook up different sauces for each but I don't mind doing both. Then of course there are the side dishes...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I vote carolina style rub and then both sauces. Most northerners prefer the "wet style" reebs and lots of tomato sauce on their pork. I dig both. Carolina style has to be done right to be good....saucey sauce is always pretty good.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Is that a yes on the pulled pork shoulder? We'll need to decide on N. Carolina style (vinegar based sauce), Tennessee style (tomato based sauce) or some of both. I'll need to make different dry rubs and cook up different sauces for each but I don't mind doing both. Then of course there are the side dishes...
I'm not picky at all... as long as it tastes good them I'm cool with whatever everyone else wants.

Can it be wrapped in bacon? :rolleyes:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I vote carolina style rub and then both sauces. Most northerners prefer the "wet style" reebs and lots of tomato sauce on their pork. I dig both. Carolina style has to be done right to be good....saucey sauce is always pretty good.
Does that mean you're ditching the body armor and joining us for all the fun?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does that mean you're ditching the body armor and joining us for all the fun?
not sure at the moment. I may be a last minute confirmation...let me take a little time and figure out where I'm going. If I do come, it'll in all likelihood be solo, as most of my riding buddies are already on here, and the wife don't ride.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
My wife doesn't ride either but she's coming. They can enjoy the scenery together and hang with the rest of us after the riding, bring her up.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Oct 7-8 is Yom Kippur, you anti-Semites. Plus the wife has to work Monday. Plus we can't send the dogs to the kennel again for like the 6th weekend this summer. Well I suppose we could but we don't want to.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My wife doesn't ride either but she's coming. They can enjoy the scenery together and hang with the rest of us after the riding, bring her up.
Sorry, her prerogative. I've tried to be encouraging, shown her that burke is on the top 25 romantic honeymoon places to go, suggested all the other fun things to do, but in the end, you people just creep her out.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Sorry, her prerogative. I've tried to be encouraging, shown her that burke is on the top 25 romantic honeymoon places to go, suggested all the other fun things to do, but in the end, you people just creep her out.
Fair enough, she's always welcome if she changes her mind.

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
I am hoping to be there but can't confirm yet. Yom Kippur could be an issue. I have two friends (so far) that are interested as well.