Quantcast

Official Fall Monkeyfest 2011

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
So far I have one friend that is really interested in coming to Monkeyfest but needs to check his schedule to make sure he is free that weekend.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have to wait until I get my school schedule on Thursday before I commit.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Cromby1 and I wont have any new homebrews ready by Monkeyfest but we can bring more of the ones that are already ready.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Is there a point where based on the number of people signed up we should consider passing on the lodge and looking for something smaller/less expensive or does such a thing not exist in the area?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Oct 7-8 is Yom Kippur, you anti-Semites. Plus the wife has to work Monday. Plus we can't send the dogs to the kennel again for like the 6th weekend this summer. Well I suppose we could but we don't want to.
Oh, I have to work that weekend now too. We can't have IAB actually getting a company holiday weekend off now!

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Is there a point where based on the number of people signed up we should consider passing on the lodge and looking for something smaller/less expensive or does such a thing not exist in the area?
Check out the KT page. There are several houses in the $100-$200/night range.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
It still amazes me that we're having trouble filling the lodge. Normally there are more than 20 people signed up by now :confused:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
We may be up there but it won't be part of Monkeyfest. Its not the ideal venue for a 10 month old. Plus, it is Claire's birthday.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've already paid (needed to do it fast so we could keep it as there have been several other groups trying to get it). So I hope no one is bailing!!! :(

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I've already paid (needed to do it fast so we could keep it as there have been several other groups trying to get it). So I hope no one is bailing!!! :(
Terri (my wife) may come up to Monkeyfest as well. She doesnt ride singletrack so she'll just be coming up to hang out with everyone and maybe go on a few hikes. She still has to make sure she can get off on Columbus Day but at least it will be one more person staying at the lodge.

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
So what gives here? Why aren't people fighting for bunks yet?
Is it going to be up to me to post the unpleasant possibilities??? Fine... here's two...

1:Maybe it's because no one wants to sign up now and risk paying for their share of the lodge if something happens where they have to bail...

Welcome to the official “Fall Monkeyfest 2011” Thread!By confirming in this thread, you are committed to paying for your space. Cancellations made more than 3 weeks in advance will require a nominal fee (usually just the cost of the lodge vs. the full amount including food) unless we are able to fill the space.
:eek:

It used to be that the total cost was split between whoever actually went to MF - why would you pay if you couldn't go? It might be understandable if last minute cancellations (as in, after all the food was bought, etc.) were expected to pay their share, but this says you can't cancel at all!

2:And/or the change in the sleeping arrangements...

Welcome to the official “Fall Monkeyfest 2011” Thread!First thing you need to do is confirm space, there are beds for 22 so it’s a “first-committed first-served basis”. This only guarantees you a bunk…
It used to be that you got to choose your spot from what was available when you got to the lodge. This makes it sound as if the first 22 committed in this thread will get a bunk. So, why say you are going to go just to get a bed, especially if it's going to cost you if you can't make it?

With these kinds of stipulations, especially the first one, you may as well wait until the last minute & see if you still want to/are able to go then.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Valid points, however I don't think this is fundamentally different than any other trip we've made to KT. The wording may be a little different, especially related to beds but it's always been a grab what you can when you get there, I don't think TreeSaw meant for this to be any different. As far as paying, as much as I can remember if you committed to going you were on the hook to pay for your share, period. TreeSaw puts up the dough for the lodge up front, out of her own pocket. If you say you're going and then bail you're either shorting her that amount or costing everyone else more.

But be honest, it's because Earl smells funny, isn't it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It used to be you could back out until a certain amount of time out...but it's not that far out when this was even planned.

I'm just still uncertain of what I'd like to do that weekend, which is the only reason my name isn't on the list.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Valid points, however I don't think this is fundamentally different than any other trip we've made to KT. The wording may be a little different, especially related to beds but it's always been a grab what you can when you get there, I don't think TreeSaw meant for this to be any different. As far as paying, as much as I can remember if you committed to going you were on the hook to pay for your share, period. TreeSaw puts up the dough for the lodge up front, out of her own pocket. If you say you're going and then bail you're either shorting her that amount or costing everyone else more.

But be honest, it's because Earl smells funny, isn't it?
Exactly! Generally peopel are good about not committing and then backing out for the Summer Monkeyfest, but not so good about the Fall Monkeyfest and I end up getting shorted.

It used to be you could back out until a certain amount of time out...but it's not that far out when this was even planned.

I'm just still uncertain of what I'd like to do that weekend, which is the only reason my name isn't on the list.
You got it! I also had to pay for the lodge early to ensure it (holiday weekend = high demand).
And, hopefully you'll be joining us :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
1:Maybe it's because no one wants to sign up now and risk paying for their share of the lodge if something happens where they have to bail...:eek:

It used to be that the total cost was split between whoever actually went to MF - why would you pay if you couldn't go? It might be understandable if last minute cancellations (as in, after all the food was bought, etc.) were expected to pay their share, but this says you can't cancel at all!
The cancellation policy has ALWAYS been that if you bail within 2-3 weeks you pay something (unless we fill your spot) and this is especially true in the Fall when we have had more "darth bailers". If you commit & cancel in the last 2-3 weeks I have always asked people to pay their portion of the lodge (not food). I pay out of my own pocket for everything and it's a great deal of money for me to get shorted on so I tell people up front what the deal is and it's never been a problem before.

2:And/or the change in the sleeping arrangements...

It used to be that you got to choose your spot from what was available when you got to the lodge. This makes it sound as if the first 22 committed in this thread will get a bunk. So, why say you are going to go just to get a bed, especially if it's going to cost you if you can't make it?

With these kinds of stipulations, especially the first one, you may as well wait until the last minute & see if you still want to/are able to go then.
Again, this isn't really a change either. We've had several years of 25+ people and I want to make sure that people understand that there is only bed/bunk spaces for 22 so they have the opportunity to pack an air mattress, etc.

Exactly! Generally peopel are good about not committing and then backing out for the Summer Monkeyfest, but not so good about the Fall Monkeyfest and I end up getting shorted.
If you have ever gotten shorted you know that you can just tell everyone and they/we'll pony up the difference. No one who actually shows would let you cover the difference.

Have you ever covered the difference?? How much?

edited to add: this year is just very bad timing for us.

Last edited:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
If you have ever gotten shorted you know that you can just tell everyone and they/we'll pony up the difference. No one who actually shows would let you cover the difference.

Have you ever covered the difference?? How much?
Agreed, I'd throw in another few bucks to keep you from getting shorted if I knew it was happening.

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
No one who actually shows would let you cover the difference.
This is how I always thought it worked: if you stayed you payed. Everyone who stayed/ate at the lodge split the appropriate cost.

If you were to split the amount for (last-minute) drop-outs across the whole of the people staying at the lodge wouldn't it be a minimal $ amount to each person? Isn't this why the total cost per person isn't posted until a day or two before each MF?

And, honestly, I don't recall there ever being such disclaimer on any MF thread since I've been going. I took a look a few time this summer at the older threads & if there is anythign along these lines it's buried among the posts. Sorry - I don't mean to be harsh - but if you cancel something more than a few days ahead of time you shouldn't get stuck paying for it... especially if it's 3 weeks out or more.

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
Honestly, with the current lack of interest, I am guessing that this may very well be the last Fall Monkeyfest. :(
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will still need a warm place next year to go to KT one last time for the year, as all the succeeding year. Camping out at that time of the year could be a bit chilly....:(

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
This is how I always thought it worked: if you stayed you payed. Everyone who stayed/ate at the lodge split the appropriate cost.

If you were to split the amount for (last-minute) drop-outs across the whole of the people staying at the lodge wouldn't it be a minimal $ amount to each person? Isn't this why the total cost per person isn't posted until a day or two before each MF?

And, honestly, I don't recall there ever being such disclaimer on any MF thread since I've been going. I took a look a few time this summer at the older threads & if there is anythign along these lines it's buried among the posts. Sorry - I don't mean to be harsh - but if you cancel something more than a few days ahead of time you shouldn't get stuck paying for it... especially if it's 3 weeks out or more.
I see your point but lets say out of 22 people confimed, half that cancel less than a week before (Most likelly NOT to happen but lets say..), food is already bought and all... Price is usually around 80$ per person so lets say it the cost for that event.

22 person X 80 = 1760$ Total cost of the W-E

Now, with half the people less...

1760$ / 11 person = 160$ per person

Would you be ready to pay 160$ for a W-E? I know I'm not.... We add that kind of thing happen to us in the past, we where VERY mad about it and we're not doing that kind of W-E with that group any more because of that. We are still committing to MonkeyFest on a regular basis because we know Treesaw won't let that happen...

I agree that 3 weeks as a cut off point "might" be a bit much but you have to put a Cut out point somewhere in those situation or you risk having problem, and since I'm not the one in charge, I deal with what ever the rules are...

And let's face it, if it wasn't for treesaw, would there still be a MonkeyFest???
I doubt about that...

I know I don't say it enough so here it is:

THANKS Treesaw for all you do for us!!!