Quantcast

Offset headset cups. Non angled

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I believe minaar has a set. Anybody know if they are available to the public and by who?

These cups lengthen/shorten the TT

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yup I'd like one too, only looks like the CK proto at the moment.

Two Angleset upper cups and gimbals, hahaha!

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Seems stupid that those guys need to stretch their cockpit and add 6" worth of spacers under their 0 rise Enve stem.i know they're taller , but it seems pretty janky.
The way the whole stem/handlebar height vs spacers thing was explained to me is that both stem rise and handlebar rise are fixed so they can't easily be changed between runs. The spacers however can be changed in a minute or two, so Minaarrrrrr can roll into the pits and say he wants his bars a bit higher and they can slap a spacer in there a lot quicker than swapping out a stem or bars.

Still doesn't change the fact that they are running 203785 spacers, but Peaty and Minaarr know a lot more about going fast than I do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The way the whole stem/handlebar height vs spacers thing was explained to me is that both stem rise and handlebar rise are fixed so they can't easily be changed between runs. The spacers however can be changed in a minute or two, so Minaarrrrrr can roll into the pits and say he wants his bars a bit higher and they can slap a spacer in there a lot quicker than swapping out a stem or bars.

Still doesn't change the fact that they are running 203785 spacers, but Peaty and Minaarr know a lot more about going fast than I do.
because moar shimz DUH

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So, I get the presto chango thing with the spacers, but if he were perhaps running 2" rise bars instead of like 1", he'd need less, and the pit shots showed like 6 5mm spacers. That's a lot of stupid. Perhaps enve doesn't make a taller rise bar?

As for the 4mm offset cups, grab a pair of 1.5* angleset cups and a pair of gimbals. Should cost less than $100.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Exactly, it is possible and my buddy could make one for you if you wanted.
His website is http://dapilten.com/en/bike-parts/21-angeled-headsets.html
That is the one we made for Brendog.
Works didn't have any stock on there offset headsets so I contacted Sergio and he made me up a 6.5mm offset headset. It came in yesterday and I got a chance to try it out last night. It's pretty amazing what a difference it made in the feel of the bike. Gave me that magical half size longer that I wanted.

It makes me wish more companies would put full 1.5" Headtubes on there frames and more suspension companies would offer straight 1 1/8" steerers. Having a half inch of adjustability on the reach of a bike makes it easier to dial in a frame for sizing.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Shame they don't work in carbon headtubes, I was just about to pull the trigger on one for my v10.
there will be a new headset standard before king offers theirs to the public.
Wonder why it is not compatible with full carbon headtubes? It seems just like any other of their headsets

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Guess I don't need to wait the 10yrs King will take to deem this product worthy.
You mean the 10 years they'll spend selling people an overpriced engineering failure while FSA's patent for the correct solution (split compression ring) expires, and then offer it for sale as an "upgrade"?

I'd buy a Works or Dapilten just on principle.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Wonder why it is not compatible with full carbon headtubes? It seems just like any other of their headsets
because carbon. thats why
You mean the 10 years they'll spend selling people an overpriced engineering failure while FSA's patent for the correct solution (split compression ring) expires, and then offer it for sale as an "upgrade"?
UdiJesus has spoken again! still amazed over the whole split ring thing myself.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

I'd buy a Works or Dapilten just on principle.
it was aheadset, which was cane creek. not FSA.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
ive been on that site before. lotsa machined goodness for the gambler.
although its got me wondering.. are the rocker link and drop outs that bad??? i wouldnt think so.
Ben is constantly designing new parts and testing them in his alpine backyard to find the cutting edge, I believe dapilten just help him quickly machine new designs so that he can rapid prototype new ideas without having to go through the full development process. Nothing to do with issues with production bikes, just a very cool R&D program.

it was aheadset, which was cane creek. not FSA.
I just said FSA to simplify things, it's technically both. Both companies use the same system and they use the same bearings (TH Industries), in fact many parts between their headsets are identical.

Patent #5319993 is owned by FSA/TH and #5095770 by CC/dia-compe. You'll notice both patents detail the split compression ring / collet design.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I just said FSA to simplify things, it's technically both. Both companies use the same system and they use the same bearings (TH Industries), in fact many parts between their headsets are identical.

Patent #5319993 is owned by FSA/TH and #5095770 by CC/dia-compe. You'll notice both patents detail the split compression ring / collet design.
well how about that

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I need to add a couple mm to my pole... I would just order a works reach adjust headset and be done, but they aren't currently available. King is still vaporware, and superstar components makes one but won't ship to the US. Do I have any other options for a 44/56 head tube and tapered steerer?