Quantcast

Offset rims with symmetrical hubs

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I can see why 'they' made rims with offset spoke drilling; to build a stronger wheel with asymmetrical hub flanges. But how does it work with offset rims and say, the old 12x150 or 12x157 hub standard where the flanges are an equal distance from the center of the hub?? I'm assuming you can still build a solid wheel.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Regular 157 is the same as 150 except with longer hub end caps. Super Boost 157 is the one with the flanges wider flanges.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
um, its kinda sucky, your back to building a dished wheel.... but you get shite bracing angle on one side...
what offset rims are you looking at, Hopefully not race face ARC

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
um, its kinda sucky, your back to building a dished wheel.... but you get shite bracing angle on one side...
what offset rims are you looking at, Hopefully not race face ARC
I was 'considering' Race Face but it sounds like you've had issues with them.

I'll probably end up going with a normal rim and call it a day and stick with my 157 non-boost hub.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I guess my point is that wheel dish is rarely the cause of wheel failure anymore.
(if it is a high quality rim)
as much as it ‘matters’ on paper. Most wheel failures are impact related.
Yes this is true. I've seen more cracks at the spoke hole with offset rims. Theory is the offset puts too much pressure on one side when landing or smashing on rough stuff. IMHO its better to build a regular rim well. Id only use offset for a weak aluminum rim that won't see hard use.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Have you looked at Chromag rims? I just picked up my bike mounted with a fresh pair of Phase 30s. I don't think the bed is asymetrical, but the nipple holes are drilled directionally....

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I think a small offset on the rim is acceptable idea when you push the brake side out on the rear, or the non brake side on the front. but DT doesnt make any offset rims that they sell separately anyways

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Have you looked at Chromag rims? I just picked up my bike mounted with a fresh pair of Phase 30s. I don't think the bed is asymetrical, but the nipple holes are drilled directionally....
I actually have an infatuation with the exact opposite of that rim.
recessed instead of raised spoke bed, angle drilled, and Across laced.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I actually have an infatuation with the exact opposite of that rim.
recessed instead of raised spoke bed, angle drilled, and Across laced.
I'm not too sure what you mean by recessed spoke bed... But these are angle drilled, and mine are laced in a 3x pattern (to my non-boost King hubs)...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'm not too sure what you mean by recessed spoke bed... But these are angle drilled, and mine are laced in a 3x pattern (to my non-boost King hubs)...
Not a lot of examples of rims made this way.
A gsport/odyssey ribcage is known as one of the strongest 20" Park and dj wheel

Across lacing means nds spokes cross at attach to the rim on the ds, and ds spokes to the nds side of the rim.
Creates more bracing angle
May have some complicated side effects that outweigh that though.

But I still think they are cool AF
prod_8933.jpg

These
Bouwmeester composites single wall carbon rims have a small touch of across lacing
I wish they still made them
Kinda like a zipp 3zero motos daddy
2015-12-DSC02810.jpg