Quantcast

Offset seatposts do they lengthen Effective Top Tube or...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I dunno, I think, I thought I read that it actually slackened ST angle and that can actually cause a shorter ETT the further the seatpost goes up or somethign like that?

Just trying to get a sense of what's what, because a web retailer has a good price on Race Face XY seatposts and I need a long 31.6mm post for my frame.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nope, they'll only shorten it if you turn it backwards, as BS said :)

The slacker the angle, the longer the effective top tube when you put it up. That applies for seatposts or seattubes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BS is right; unless you install it backwards (and w/ the seat clamp, i'm not sure that's even possible) an offset post will always lengthen the effective TT; that's why people run them.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat said:
why what are you trying to do ?
Just trying to buy one and get the best bang for the buck splaticus.

Jenson USA has some NOS Race Face XY posts for $29.00 or thereabouts - I think they sold for around $95 or so brandy new back in the day. They are strong and light, but they also have a lot of offset to them.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
They do neither. The effective top tube length is the distance from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat post. Whether you use an offset seatpost or not is a matter of preference, so you are optimally positioned over the pedals.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pdawg said:
The effective top tube length is the distance from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat post.
Just depends on how you measure. If you measure to the center of the body of the post, it won't extend the effective top tube. If you measure to the center of the post opening, though, which is where the saddle mounts and where the rider sits (so it makes the most sense to measure that way), it'll extend the effective top tube...

If you're shifted backwards and there is more distance between the headtube and the rider's butt, isn't that a lengthening of the effective top tube?

:confused:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the XY posts have the clamp pressed into the post. I've seen two break at that union, almost as if the ID was undersized or the clamp "plug" was oversized. Spiral cracks in the post both times.

I'm not saying it was a common problem, but ...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
Just depends on how you measure. If you measure to the center of the body of the post, it won't extend the effective top tube. If you measure to the center of the post opening, though, which is where the saddle mounts and where the rider sits (so it makes the most sense to measure that way), it'll extend the effective top tube...

If you're shifted backwards and there is more distance between the headtube and the rider's butt, isn't that a lengthening of the effective top tube?

I guess it would be a lenthening of the cockpit and not the ETT in essence - would that be more accurate?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I would stay away from the XY post if possible. I had one of those and it seemed like no matter how hard you clamped it down, the saddle would always tilt if you happened to hit it hard. The only way to prevent this was to tighten it to the point where that little aluminum cylinder stripped out. Race Face was good though and sent me a new one, but I would still search for a different post.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
binary visions said:

Um, effective top tube is a frame dimension measured along a horizontal line, to give a better idea of what the top tube would be on a sloping tube frame if instead of a sloping tube it was horizontal. (I know you know this.) Raising or lowering your seat will completely change the distance if you measure it as you suggest. It's fine if you just want to know that measurement, but then you're not really talking about a frame dimension as much as a personal set-up dimension.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
Um, effective top tube is a frame dimension measured along a horizontal line, to give a better idea of what the top tube would be on a sloping tube frame if instead of a sloping tube it was horizontal. (I know you know this.) Raising or lowering your seat will completely change the distance if you measure it as you suggest. It's fine if you just want to know that measurement, but then you're not really talking about a frame dimension as much as a personal set-up dimension.
Hmm... I always thought "effective top tube" was the top tube length that occured when you you took seat tube angle into consideration as well.

I understand it's not a frame dimension, but I had always thought that the effective top tube WAS a "personal set-up" dimension to a certain extent. Aren't most ETT measurements taken in a horizontal line from the headtube to where the seatpost would exist if you had a seatpost in the frame? Thus taking things like slack seat tubes into consideration?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Here, look at this:

That measurement is taken to include where the seatpost would be if there were one in the frame. A setback post would increase that measurement.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This one is a little less clear but it does give the impression that it takes the location of the top of the seatpost into consideration. The left hand hash mark is clearly located behind where the seat tube ends.

ETT is a pretty vague measurement... maybe companies just aren't consistant with this and I've only dealt with the ones that measure as I do?

Ugh, I have so much work to do, I really need to stop looking up geometry charts and get back to it :p

Feb 13, 2006
pdawg said:
They do neither. The effective top tube length is the distance from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat post. Whether you use an offset seatpost or not is a matter of preference, so you are optimally positioned over the pedals.
Sorry, but that's really not correct. "Effective" means you don't reference actual tube length. It is the EFFECTIVE length, which would include the offset. That's the whole point of calling it "effective".

You might want to go back to the source of your mistaken belief and correct him or her.

"Optimal position over the pedals" is not the only thing an offset seatpost is for. It's one thing, but not the only thing.

For example, if the bike you like has a too-steep seat tube angle for your optimal effective top tube length, you can run a setback seatpost to gain some effective top tube length. Whether this setback puts you in a good, bad or indifferent position relative to the BB depends on the frame's seat tube angle and your particular body type and your biomechanically optimum position on the bike.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I post this again because I like reposting my art work.....

My concept of a cockpit measurement:

For me the distance between the BB and the top of the Head Tube is the important measurement on a Dh bike. Once you stand up, where your seat is located is not a huge concern.

TT was a good measurement tool on traditional rigid frames...not so much anymore. Especially on DH (slack seat tube) bikes.

Rhino

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
FYI, most frames are designed to be run with a post setback of 2cm. That is the standard anyways. Zero setback posts like a reg thomson or raceface are the should be the exception, not the norm.
This doesn't really apply to DH/FR bikes though.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MMcG said:
Thanks everyone. Off to look for a good long 31.6mm straight seatpost now.

If anyone has a spare, let me know!
Yes!!! Do you still need one. I have a Titec from a few years back. Let me know.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BV, I agree it is vague, but it IS a frame dimension, and personal set-up should not impact it. Otherwise, how could a frame manufacturer publish ETT? You are also correct that you measure to where an imaginary horizontal line would intersect a seatpost, so yes seat angle will impact the dimension. But seat HEIGHT should not.

Remember back when all top tubes were horizontal? Nobody needed an "effective" tube measurement because all you had to do was measure the ACTUAL center-to-center dimension, and it was easy to compare different frames.

With sloping tubes came confusion. Different manufacturers use different slope angles, so the actual measurement is less useful for comparing different frames. The "effective" dimension is a way of ignoring the actual configuration and getting an approximation of what the actual dimension would be if the top tube was horizontal.

On the Sunday diagram, yes, it's further back from where the seat tube ends, but it's right where the imaginary seat post intersects a horizontal line from the head tube right? It is also higher than where most people will probably ride their posts on their Sundays - so it's not really about an actual seat height.

Rhino, your measurement is definitely helpful but it's not really an effective top tube.

I think the effective top tube dimension is relatively useless for DH bikes because long travel suspension often come with extremely slack or steep seat angles. I tend to agree with Kidwoo and others here who look at the DOWNTUBE measurement to get a sense of how things are laid out.