Quantcast

OG (or Noob) got a new bike

drbyers

Chimp
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
I'm new to this place and rediscovering mountain biking after being away for a bazillion years. I last raced mountain bikes when Rockshox Judys were all the rage. Yes, I'm that old...

But back on topic, I bought a used 29er Redline Monocog yesterday and wanted to get some opinions on it. It's got upgraded everything, including an SID SL shock and top-of-the-line Avid disc brakes.

I got the bike for $400 and it was originally owned by a mechanic/racer who maintained it pretty well. The frame looks new still BUT he raced it heavily. Do you think it was a good purchase?

I wanted something to ease back into mountain biking but I don't want a throw away bike either. I don't have crazy spare income like a lot of you guys. lol. Was this a good purchase?

Attachments

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looks like a solid ride to get you back on your feet. Assuming it's in good condition, the price was fair. The avid brakes are mechanical and aren't top of the line, but work just fine. (Avid's top of the line brakes are hydraulic.)

drbyers

Chimp
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
No. It's a 17" frame 29er. Or at least that's what the seller told me. lol.

I've never owned a 29er but wanted a single speed bike for the simplicity this time around. I remember switching gears (or at least trying to) when I used to race, and it's more work than I care to in my old age...lol.

I just want to hop on and pedal. If I have to hop off and carry my bike up a hill so be it. I need the exercise anyway.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Cool, hard to tell for the pics. I'm not very familiar w/ that bike. The tires should tell you at least! :)

Single speed is really nice peace of mind for sure. Rode this way for some years.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Not a 29er. It's 26 inch wheels and nothing wrong with that. That particular SID fork is from an era where there were no 29er SID forks. I think the front tire in on backwards too.

drbyers

Chimp
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
Haven't even rode my new bike yet and it's already burning a whole in my wallet. lol.

Bought some new Shimano SPD pedals and thinking about getting a Yakima SpareTime back carrier for the back of my SUV. *sigh*

And, yes, my bike actually is a 26" model. Saw the wheel size. Oh well...lol.