Quantcast

OGK CARBON DH Helmets-D2 killer....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It looks really promising. Granted, it directly rips off the D2 in alot of ways. The mouthpiece shape is virtually identical. The mudguard under the chin is identical. And they "just barely" deviate from the rear shark fin...but basicly mimic the Troy Lee SE in that part.
I guess it was only a matter of time before somebody said "Hey, why let Troy Lee have it all"
http://www.ogkhelmet.com/bicycle/fullface/index.html

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
what I wanna know is if they will fit as nicely, and be as light and stiff as a tld.
looks good though any info on a price and if there availible in northamerica

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
vitox said:
maybe they make tld's helmets, or used to make them, that sort of stuff happens a lot
you might be right. The mold is identical in every way from what I can tell. Even the vents in the rear are the same.
My e-guess tells me it's a D2 mold with the only change being the shark fin in the back and a 2nd vent on the mouthpiece. I see no other differences? :monkey:

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I wear a SNELL approved "KBC" moto helmet now only..
Extra little weight builds neck muscles..........

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
can you translate haha yeah jk they look awsome but how much are they

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bizutch said:
you might be right. The mold is identical in every way from what I can tell. Even the vents in the rear are the same.
My e-guess tells me it's a D2 mold with the only change being the shark fin in the back and a 2nd vent on the mouthpiece. I see no other differences? :monkey:

Aren't the TLD helmets made in Europe someplace?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stubby said:
the THE helments look exactly like that
I'm pretty sure that T.H.E doesn't make helmets. The helmet that Chris Kovarik uses is the helmet mentioned in this thread, with T.H.E stickers...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
blt2ride said:
I'm pretty sure that T.H.E doesn't make helmets. The helmet that Chris Kovarik uses is the helmet mentioned in this thread, with T.H.E stickers...

They are coming out with two helmets last year. I don't think T.H.E., makes anyting. They are a design house, that farms out production to someone else.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Just talked with THE, the helmets won't be available until early next year? Also they won't make a plain carbon model like the OGK shows. I guess Toby is like Troy they have to plaster their name on everything they make or sell.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
F.O.G said:
Just talked with THE, the helmets won't be available until early next year? Also they won't make a plain carbon model like the OGK shows. I guess Toby is like Troy they have to plaster their name on everything they make or sell.
good reporter...good boy.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
bizutch said:
oh, and did they give you a price on them?
FOG reporting back,
No they really didn't have a whole lot of info yet, just that the guy on the phone said he talked with Toby about a plain carbon as well and Toby didn't like :angry:

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
On the subject of TLD rip offs, 661 will have a bew helmet for 06 that is also very similar to the TLD, yet different from the OGK/THE. particularly at the back.
Its made by the same taiwan company that make the Full Bravo comp.

I'm sure a good looking helmet can be designed without having to rip TLD off... :think:

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
ok....here's some clarification for those of you who are as confused as i am reading through all this! haha

OGK makes TONS of helmets...for a WIDE VARIETY of companies. 99% sure they still make the TLD d2 helmet. Hence the similarities in design. Anyway, they've been making moto lids for a while now w/ their own name on it & have finally done it w/ MTB helmets. heck, why not!?!? I my own opinion, it's not as slick looking as the D2, but it's definatly better than a lot of other helmet options out there.

Anyway, I'm not sure about their distribution into the US. Maybe that's why Toby has "his" helmets w/ the THE logos... they are exactly the same as the OGK ....just w/ toby stickers.

Therefore Kovarik, Sabrina & Minnaar are INDEED wearing the same exact helmet....but the TLD versions are plain & stupid looking. I kinda think they need a REAL PAINTER to design some stock designs up (hint*hint).

Anyway, what i found that was funny was that Kovarik broke the original visor on his helmet - for a replacement, THE gave them a raw (unpainted) TLD D2 visor. Is that another hint that everything's made at the same place?!?! lol

anyway, i haven't checked my sources in a while, so i donno how accurate things are anymore.

But i'd run one for sure over a Bell Bellistic (which should be getting a makover....or a replacement out pretty soon)

jd

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
OGKs are very famous in Asia/Japan for their crotchrocket lids, and they've been making mtb helmets for a couple years now.

I saw one of their carbon DHs in a shop here and it was the most beautiful carbon weave I've ever seen. Had red fibers interlaced with the carbon, I don't know what the construction/make-up was. Was very overpriced at about $700 USD. Didn't even come with a bag or box. Too much for me, I'll stick with my carbon Mace.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
DylanDeanDesign said:
ok....here's some clarification for those of you who are as confused as i am reading through all this! haha

OGK makes TONS of helmets...for a WIDE VARIETY of companies. 99% sure they still make the TLD d2 helmet. Hence the similarities in design. Anyway, they've been making moto lids for a while now w/ their own name on it & have finally done it w/ MTB helmets. heck, why not!?!? I my own opinion, it's not as slick looking as the D2, but it's definatly better than a lot of other helmet options out there.

Anyway, I'm not sure about their distribution into the US. Maybe that's why Toby has "his" helmets w/ the THE logos... they are exactly the same as the OGK ....just w/ toby stickers.

Therefore Kovarik, Sabrina & Minnaar are INDEED wearing the same exact helmet....but the TLD versions are plain & stupid looking. I kinda think they need a REAL PAINTER to design some stock designs up (hint*hint).

Anyway, what i found that was funny was that Kovarik broke the original visor on his helmet - for a replacement, THE gave them a raw (unpainted) TLD D2 visor. Is that another hint that everything's made at the same place?!?! lol

anyway, i haven't checked my sources in a while, so i donno how accurate things are anymore.

But i'd run one for sure over a Bell Bellistic (which should be getting a makover....or a replacement out pretty soon)

jd
You informative stud. OK..now to start a little strategy to give us something to look at...everybody email Toby, tell him the logos are butt ugly...and to let JDD draw something more pimptasticated.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
zahgurim said:
OGKs are very famous in Asia/Japan for their crotchrocket lids, and they've been making mtb helmets for a couple years now.

I saw one of their carbon DHs in a shop here and it was the most beautiful carbon weave I've ever seen. Had red fibers interlaced with the carbon, I don't know what the construction/make-up was. Was very overpriced at about $700 USD. Didn't even come with a bag or box. Too much for me, I'll stick with my carbon Mace.

The straight exchage rate price for what they are charging in Japan for it is $270 not bad.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
AlmostHeaven said:
the back is almost identical to a TLD...
... or not... Quite a bit more spiky 'n such. There is some resemblance to a TLD, but enough of a difference to make it look like it exploded, or, at least, in the front-side-ish angle photos.

Observe:

edit: Try to look at it without any depth whatsoever. You *should* be able to see it.

edit2: And man, try to lighten up a little. It could be me being all tired and such (I tend to A, not pick up on humor being shot back at me, or B, get irritated at things that I normally wouldn't) , but it seems like a lot of your posts are a bit hot-headed/I-am-always-serious-and-have-no-sense-of-humor. It was a joke... jokes are things you laugh at like, "Ha ha".

Attachments