Quantcast

Oh Canada!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I just learned more about Canada in 3 minutes during this opening ceremony than I did in several visits there and a year living in another commonwealth country. :think:

Da Peach isn't doing his civic duty.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't get the opening ceremonies at all. Same entertainment level as a grade school play for someone who is neither parent nor child molester.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Giant burning-man ice penis people! Uncomfortable-looking white men in beads!

Dancing to BRYAN ADAMS!

How bizarre.

But at least we got to see some of it. We only get an hour "highlight" show per day on the satellite TV here. Totally blows. Completely incoherent editing makes it even worse.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
You missed nothing. The show was just awful. I mean REALLY awful. Ashley MacIsaac was the only tolerable part. (Fiddle player). The rest was just slow, slef indulgent crap. COuplle that with a malfunctioning TORCH...leaving the torch bearers twisting in the wind for 5 mins. (Bah it's just the torch....let's not bother making sure it works. No-one will notice)......and in the same day a guy gets killed on a track with questionable safety.

Shaping up to be the worst olympics ever.

What an embarassment.

My wife thinks that they knew they could not follow the Beijing show, so they figured they may as well make it suck badly so it at least still be memorable.

kd lang? REALLY??

Giant burning-man ice penis people! Uncomfortable-looking white men in beads!

Dancing to BRYAN ADAMS!

How bizarre.

But at least we got to see some of it. We only get an hour "highlight" show per day on the satellite TV here. Totally blows. Completely incoherent editing makes it even worse.
Look, the whole goddam event is incoherent. Why are you wasting your time?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I get the feeling this Olympics will go down as one of the worse. By day two, Torch Lighting FAIL, slushy snow, and, of course, a guy dying (with possibly more wrecks to come).

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You missed nothing. The show was just awful. I mean REALLY awful. Ashley MacIsaac was the only tolerable part. (Fiddle player). The rest was just slow, slef indulgent crap. COuplle that with a malfunctioning TORCH...leaving the torch bearers twisting in the wind for 5 mins. (Bah it's just the torch....let's not bother making sure it works. No-one will notice)......and in the same day a guy gets killed on a track with questionable safety.

Shaping up to be the worst olympics ever.

What an embarassment.

My wife thinks that they knew they could not follow the Beijing show, so they figured they may as well make it suck badly so it at least still be memorable.

kd lang? REALLY??
I loved it when they finally got 75% of the cauldron working after a long awkward pause, then got on with it, then Gretzky moves on to his glorious ride in the rain in a pickup with one burnt out headlight.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I couldn't tell if it was incoherent or if it was the disjointed editing of the synopsis...I couldn't believe it was actually as bad as it seemed...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Because it's my time to use or waste as I see fit. We get it. you and your 'stash don't like the Olympics. Well, despite all the crap that surrounds it some of us still really like the Olympics. If you don't well, your loss.

I thought the opening ceremonies were... weird. Or possibly just very Canadian. :p

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It was just over the place and went nowhere at the same time.

And the long, slow paced songs. I STILL can't over kd lang......and freakin Garou. Just plain awful.....(HoweverI noticed NBC went to commercial during Garou (which was wise). I doubt the US audience wanted to see a french quebec singer do his thing....which was terrible.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched the Short Track yesterday, and I couldn't help myself when there were 3 Koreans in the lead, then out of the last turn, there was only 1.

How do you take out your own teammate?

Last edited:

Handy Man

Chimp
Oct 21, 2009
How do you take out your own teammate?
Brings back memories

btw, anyone know somewhere online that has a live stream available in the US? NBC requires a cable account and I haven't had any luck proxy'ing to the UK or Canada for BBC or CTV.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Brings back memories

btw, anyone know somewhere online that has a live stream available in the US? NBC requires a cable account and I haven't had any luck proxy'ing to the UK or Canada for BBC or CTV.
I was thinking that myself.