Quantcast

Oh for pete's sake...I can't believe this crap...

FullTilt

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
So those are the only two groups on Napster now... :p

Umm... when is your next trip up to Northstar?

J

JRB

I don't know about crappy DMB, but metallica had severe vaginal cramping due to the napster kick off.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
LOL... 2 of the most sold out groups in the world now on napster.

BTW: I spoke to the GM of Hyena Records (fairly good sized jazz label in NY and LA) he said that file sharin and CD burning eat up well over 40% of record sales... crazy eh. Thats a lot of $ lost for the label and for the band in royalties.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
LOL... 2 of the most sold out groups in the world now on napster.

BTW: I spoke to the GM of Hyena Records (fairly good sized jazz label in NY and LA) he said that file sharin and CD burning eat up well over 40% of record sales... crazy eh. Thats a lot of $ lost for the label and for the band in royalties.

Yeah yeah - internet sales are killing the local bike shops too. :mumble:

Where's cooter and ttgf?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Why is this unbelivable? Isn't Napster a "legitimate" pay-to-play music source now? No more of this freebie file sharing crap?
:confused:

-S.S.-

yeah it is...but I just think it's funny Metallica being on Napster...I dunno...probably just me...seems ironic...or...something else....not sure how to describe how I'm feeling about it...maybe more like they have some mother phucken balls...I dunno...just dumbfounded...eh...I suppose if I were a once great band that turned to complete crap I'd be doing anything and everything to pad my pockets even if it meant confirming I have absolutely no integrity left...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco-gringo said:
I don't know about crappy DMB, but metallica had severe vaginal cramping due to the napster kick off.

Ya...that's what I find so shocking...granted I suppose the file sharing could get out of hand, etc., but I would be a little embarassed...but then again they aren't in this for their health it's for the money, but I just find it so freakin weird...I don't know...perhaps no one in this world has any shame...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
loco-gringo said:
Yeah yeah - internet sales are killing the local bike shops too. :mumble:

Where's cooter and ttgf?
Good question... probably out doing the red bull course or some DH race some crap, hell, they could be getting married for all I know.

Ever since my shoulder started getting all pissed (I havent been riding as much because of this) I havent seen a lot of them.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
golgiaparatus said:
I'd suggest reading this article in full before buying any record executive's claims of 40% lost sales.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
riderx said:
I'd suggest reading this article in full before buying any record executive's claims of 40% lost sales.
:rolleyes:
At some point you gotta use common sense... 6-7 years ago CD burners hit the market and a few years ago people started taking files from albums and puting them on share sites.

Now people have multiple ways of copying music for free that was published by a company and a band that had to invest a lot of money. I dont understand how people can deny the fact tht this is hurting the music industry in the form of album sales.

Now I can see how it helps the live performance thriving band in that it helps promote the spread of their material faster and thus gets more people to their concerts faster.

The guy I spoke to had no reasom to blow smoke up my butt, he said 40% is how much album sales have gone down in the last 5 years... actually a pretty resonable figure if you ask me... especially since well over 40% of my personal collection is made up of burned CD's.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
golgiaparatus said:
At some point you gotta use common sense... 6-7 years ago CD burners hit the market and a few years ago people started taking files from albums and puting them on share sites.

Now people have multiple ways of copying music for free that was published by a company and a band that had to invest a lot of money. I dont understand how people can deny the fact tht this is hurting the music industry in the form of album sales.

Now I can see how it helps the live performance thriving band in that it helps promote the spread of their material faster and thus gets more people to their concerts faster.

The guy I spoke to had no reasom to blow smoke up my butt, he said 40% is how much album sales have gone down in the last 5 years... actually a pretty resonable figure if you ask me... especially since well over 40% of my personal collection is made up of burned CD's.

I buy about 40% less CD's now simply because the prices are f*cking outrageous.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Tenchiro said:
Exactly the point I was about to make. CDs are really really ridiculously priced and the bands getting exposure on the radio are crap.

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
I do so because most music sucks. I did buy the new Descendents this week. Also bought Jet and apparently something less memorable that I can't recall. It was like $50.

Good on Rob Zombie - I recently bought a cd with a bunch of hits and it included a ton of video for $14. :thumb:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
golgiaparatus said:
Did you even read the article? You know, the one by the artist who sees an increase in sales by giving away music.

Who gets hurt by free downloads? Save a handful of super-successes like Celine Dion, none of us. We only get helped.
I guess she's just a nobody, 37 years in the biz, 25 albums, 9 grammy nominations plus a few wins.

Face it, the genie is out of the bottle. If the record companies want to make money they need to learn how to use the medium to their advantage. That, and stop underwriting sh!t music.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
riderx said:
Did you even read the article? You know, the one by the artist who sees an increase in sales by giving away music.

I guess she's just a nobody, 37 years in the biz, 25 albums, 9 grammy nominations plus a few wins.

Face it, the genie is out of the bottle. If the record companies want to make money they need to learn how to use the medium to their advantage. That, and stop underwriting sh!t music.
I read the article. But it doesnt make me disbelieve Bill. I believe it probably varies from artist to artist depending on genre and depending on how they make the majority of their money. However, it does hurt the people who put the money down to produce an album... there's no way around it, and theres no way that I am going to buy into some article... I hear it straight from the horses' mouth. The horse being musicians and top ranking record executives. Not some article online.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
My band just released a new record - the first out of our 8 full length albums that is on our own label.

We dished out many pre-releases to the media for reviews, and of course, the album ended up downloadable on P2P networks before it's release date of 06/29.

Did it hurt us? I don't think so, at lease not as much as industry execs are supposedly getting "screwed"

People have been tape swapping and trading music for years. File sharing is just a bigger scale. I've noticed on many forums I've snooped that only a handfull of people DL our record, compared to many people that buy it.

We put an advanced track for DL on our site, and many people ran out and bought the record just from that. Same for file sharing, they bought the album after "borrowing" a few songs off the net.

One thing you CANT get on a DL: an actual CD. One with packaging, art, etc. People tend to favor tangible things. We will still offer our records on vinyl even, because people love it.

We aren't going to get rich or quit our day-jobs, but I don't think that we would have without the file sharing anyway. The execs will still get rich, just not AS rich. This is the thing that really pisses them off. The gravy train isn't what it used to be for them.

BTW:

http://www.neurotrecordings.com/default.aspx

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Goddamn it...this was NOT a thread about if file sharing is right or wrong or if it affects record sales...it was a thread about how outrageous it is for Metallica of all people to use the very medium they tried to sabatage (whether they were right or wrong) to peddle their crap! Quit derailling my thread you bastards! :mumble: :D

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
dh girlie said:
Goddamn it...this was NOT a thread about if file sharing is right or wrong or if it affects record sales...it was a thread about how outrageous it is for Metallica of all people to use the very medium they tried to sabatage (whether they were right or wrong) to peddle their crap! Quit derailling my thread you bastards! :mumble: :D
I'm not derailing your thread, I'm using it to peddle MY crap!

:eviltongu :blah: :p

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
bomberz1qr20 said:
My band just released a new record - the first out of our 8 full length albums that is on our own label.

We dished out many pre-releases to the media for reviews, and of course, the album ended up downloadable on P2P networks before it's release date of 06/29.

Did it hurt us? I don't think so, at lease not as much as industry execs are supposedly getting "screwed"

People have been tape swapping and trading music for years. File sharing is just a bigger scale. I've noticed on many forums I've snooped that only a handfull of people DL our record, compared to many people that buy it.

We put an advanced track for DL on our site, and many people ran out and bought the record just from that. Same for file sharing, they bought the album after "borrowing" a few songs off the net.

One thing you CANT get on a DL: an actual CD. One with packaging, art, etc. People tend to favor tangible things. We will still offer our records on vinyl even, because people love it.

We aren't going to get rich or quit our day-jobs, but I don't think that we would have without the file sharing anyway. The execs will still get rich, just not AS rich. This is the thing that really pisses them off. The gravy train isn't what it used to be for them.

BTW:

http://www.neurotrecordings.com/default.aspx
Now if that ain't the horses mouf, I dunno what is!!! Amen brother...I buy cd's all the time (well, when theres something decent out)...I dl a song here or there...but if I'm dl'ing a song off the internet for free or for 99 cents...obviously I'm not interested in the entire cd or I'd buy it...so it's not taking sales away from that particular artist...cuz if their cd blows...I yain't buyin it for one or two songs....

Is it only me and loco gringo who find the fact that Metallica is now available on Napster??? I suppose some people have more integrity and pride than others...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
dh girlie said:
Metallicock are the sellinist out mutha fukka's ever!

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=21 :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
cd's being 18.00 is soooo much bullsh*t its not funny. it costs 75 cents to make a cd. thats such an insane markup its not funny. the last cd i bought was a subhumans cd that i couldnt download.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
golgiaparatus said:
I hear it straight from the horses' mouth. The horse being musicians and top ranking record executives. Not some article online.
How exactly is this figure calculated?
file sharin and CD burning eat up well over 40% of record sales

The article is well researched and sites fact, figures and actual sources that can be verified. Just because it's been published online doesn't negate it. Of course, you could always go search out the actual hard copy original...

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
dh girlie said:
Sorry dh_girlie, but everyone knows that Metallica is a bunch of hypocrits, so there's not much to discuss :blah:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think DMB should open for Metalica on the Warped tour this year. Then theey could get sponsored by Mountain Dew, wear outfits made by Nike and change the name to Sellout-a-fest or something. That would rule!

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Metallica can kiss my naughties. Has-been-burnout-wanna-be-still-metal-aging-money-grubbing-loser-weak-kneed-kid-hating-crap-artists.