Quantcast

Oh Geez...Basso Admits

So Basso admits to being involved with Fuentes(aka Puerto).
Shmuckbag...good going there Disco. Way to judge characters.

http://velonews.com/news/fea/12213.0.html

<<<<Italian cycling star Ivan Basso admitted to the anti-doping prosecutor of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) on Monday that he was involved in the Operación Puerto blood doping scandal.

Stay tuned for further updates as they become available.>>>>>

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At least Basso has the balls to admit it, especially before being convicted. Actually that might be a first.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
According to the Gazzetta dello Sport's Valerio Piccioni, Ivan Basso has confessed his involvement in Operación Puerto to the antidoping prosecutor Ettore Torri of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI). Today in Rome, CONI issued communiqué saying "Ivan Basso has largely admitted his responsibility relative to Operación Puerto and has provided the maximum collaboration to clarify the facts relative to his involvement."

Basso and his lawyer Massimo Martelli met with Torri for two hours in a legal office in the centre of Rome, where the confession of the winner of the 2006 Giro d'Italia winner came of his own accord.

The head of the Italian cycling federation Renato Di Rocco applauded Basso's decision to collaborate, telling the Gazzetta dello Sport, "Ivan has done exactly what everyone asked of Pantani, and Marco didn't do; now, we ask in the name of cycling to not leave Ivan Basso alone."

Although no further information has been released by Torri or the Italian Olympic Committee, there is speculation that Basso may receive a retroactive two-year suspension that could allow him to come back in time to ride the 2008 Giro d'Italia.

On Sunday, prior to today's announcement, Cyclingnews spoke with UCI president Pat McQuaid concerning speculation that a deal might be done between Basso and CONI. "There is no provision for a reduced sentence," he said then. "The WADA rules apply and the minimum sentence is two years, whether it is for admittance or non-admittance of an offence. The only time when you get less than two years is if you can prove it was mistaken or it was taken in foodstuffs, that kind of thing. But if you have been willingly involved in a doping activity, it is two years.

"I don't want to speculate on it [prior to such a deal being agreed - ed.], but the option is there for either the UCI or WADA to appeal to CAS."

Ivan Basso has not yet issued a statement, but a press conference is expected on Tuesday.

A retro-active two year suspension. Wonder how that can work? I mean he's been racing up to a few weeks ago, so how could it be retro-active? I smell a backroom deal being done as a reason for him to 'come clean' before it all went to trial.

I'm glad to see a rat out himself. All that means is that the evidence was seriously damning and he figured there's no way out of it. It's not liek he woke up one morning and couldn't live with teh lie anymore. He was brought in front of a panel, and they laid down the evidence they have and he confessed, possibly because of a deal so he can get back to riding and making money sooner than later.
He better still be out of a ProTour team for Four Years. He can start racing in two years on a continental team, but no ProTour money untill 4 yrs from now.
Down with the Cheats!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Giro organizer, Angelo Zomegnan, also praised Basso, while considering the effect on his race. "Ivan did a brave thing. Now we have to give him some peace and quiet. Right off I don't see his decision having any effect on the upcoming Giro."
No dumbass. Brave would have been admitting it last year when the whole thing broke. Or God forbid, not doping would have been the bravest thing of all.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Vuelta a España 2005 -- Winner: Heras --> Doper
Giro d'Italia 2006 -- Winner: Basso --> Doper
Tour day France 2006 -- Winner: Landis --> Doper*

*On January 18, 2007, French newspaper Le Monde reported that Pereiro has also tested positive during the 2006 Tour de France. It is alleged that salbutamol was found in two urine samples, produced after stages 14 (Montélimar - Gap, in which Pereiro finished 26th) and 16 (Bourg-d'Oisans - La Toussuire, 3rd place).[4] In the latter stage, Pereiro retook the yellow jersey from Landis.

Salbutamol is commonly used to cure asthma, and is allowed to be used in cycle racing if the cyclist can provide a medical prescription for the substance. It is alleged that the International Cycling Union gave Pereiro retroactive permission to use the substance on medical grounds after the positive tests. The French anti-doping agency questions the veracity of the medical grounds. It has demanded that Pereiro verify the grounds for the use of salbutamol within a week.

On January 25, 2007, France's anti-doping agency dropped its investigation saying Pereiro provided sufficient justification for use of the asthma medication.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I really hate how people are spinning this to try to make it look like he's some kind of hero. He wanted to dope but couldn't make it happen. So what does that mean? He had criminal intent but was too stupid to get the juice or something? And he didn't come clean until he was caught red-handed, until now it's just been a bunch of lies.

I really hate how people are spinning this to try to make it look like he's some kind of hero. He wanted to dope but couldn't make it happen. So what does that mean? He had criminal intent but was too stupid to get the juice or something? And he didn't come clean until he was caught red-handed, until now it's just been a bunch of lies.
Yeah I think that's pretty well established now. The first reports said he was a hero of sorts for coming clean, but then the next day he released his statement saying the only 'attempted' to dope but never actually did. (shaw right!)
The press has been dutifully nailing him since then though so I doubt there's too many people still thinking he's any sort of hero now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the press and the public misinterpreted Basso's mechinations. When he first admitted involvement, we all figured he turned himself in. In actuality, he just said to the Italian authorities, "Well, you caught me, but I didn't really do it. I puffed on the joint but I didn't actually inhale"...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This letter on drunkcyclist sums up my feelings pretty well:

Subject: Basso Doped
I'm sure you've seen the news about Basso. I'm not surprised anymore, but all this crap has me wondering what there is left to love about cycling as a spectator sport.

I've been suspicious about doping for decades, but tried to give people the benefit of the doubt. Last year, when Floyd tested positive, I decided that it was all stupid. Money corrupts, and money plus bike racing equals shameless whores dragging the sport I love through **** to make a greasy buck. People should look inward for their cycling heroes. Turn off Phil & Paul, cancel the magazine subscriptions, just ride.

But I couldn't stop myself from caring who won, and how they pulled it off. So I followed the races, but I didn't believe. All winning ever proved to me was that you were doping. I hate guys who take the "they're all doping" line, but now I had become one of them.

And then Basso and Ullrich were both proven guilty. You gotta figure anyone who ever beat either of them was doing it, too, and a lot of the guys who gave 'em a run for their money. And probably whoever operated at the top of the game before them. Hell, it just doesn't pay to believe in anyone anymore.

So assume for a second *everyone* is doping. What's left for us? Well, how did they win their races? Anyone who only won because they were the best time-trialist, or the best climber: you can get those things from an IV bag. Grit, handling skills, tactics - if you're a doper but you've got some other winning qualities, well, at least nobody can say your success was *completely* undeserved.

But is that the kind of person I want to admire? Do I really want to waste my time following a sport that's just a short, slippery slope from being the WWE of the slow-twitch set, just because it's "still entertaining?" Hell, no.

So I'm trying again to get off the racing fan habit. I'm just gonna ride (and run, and play with my kids, and hike....) and I'll make my own stories of endurance and skill. And if I cheat, it'll be by skipping a ride, and I'll know it without pissing in a ****ing cup.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
So much for professional road cycling heroes. When I find myself racing someone up a hill, I'll just imagine that I'm a bag of blood. Oh what inspiration.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
And he still couldn't beat Big Tex. Hey wait, I wonder if that means...?

:lighten:
Cus big Tex was sponsored by the two largest drug companies in the U.S. , oh and just by chance the anti doping test they use in the U.S. are also made by subsidiaries of these 2 same companies ... hmmmm coincidence or not ?

I think we really need to ask Max Testa at UCD how many pro cyclist are really doping in the U.S. I know he knows !!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Basso Suspended for Two Years for Doping

(06-15) 10:06 PDT ROME, Italy (AP) --

Former Giro d'Italia champion Ivan Basso received a maximum two-year doping penalty Friday from the Italian cycling federation.

Basso acknowledged involvement last month in the Spanish blood-doping probe, known as Operation Puerto. He confessed to "attempted doping," but said he never actually went through with it.

"I accept the sentence," Basso said. "I'm going to continue to train and plan to return in 2009. I've got to look to the future."

The 29-year-old rider was accused of using or attempting to use a banned substance or method, and "possession of banned substances and methods."

Basso was already suspended for nearly eight months by his teams this year and last, so Friday's penalty will expire on Oct. 24, 2008.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/06/15/sports/s094411D44.DTL&type=sports

:disgust: