Quantcast

oh great now I'm going to grow....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Manboobs!!! Health Canada has recommended against using certain types of plastic bottles due to leaching of dangerous synthetic hormones and also possible links to cancer. Apparently they have a potential health issue so many stores are cooperating before it's mandated. A guy can't even stay properly hydrated without running the risk of ingesting estrogenic hormones:rant:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
They obviously provided that guy with entertainment. On the bonus side you can close your eyes and pretend you're feeling up a chick :brows:

Why not give them a try? Moobs might be fun....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
It's mainly PC (Polycarbonate) that is the issue, it leaches this oestrogen mimic especially whilst at raised temperatures for extended times (like boiling water for 30 mins plus) - if you don't expose it to boiling water for long it is actually pretty safe.

Nalgene bottles are made from PC, so don't boil yer Nalge! Use Milton. Edit: Don't use abrasive cleaners either...

PC is cool, and chosen for many things because it is as tough as all ****, and has good optical properties. Bullet proof stuff is often PC, as are Oakley (and many other sunglass) lenses. but frankly for most applications it is overkill.

Also there is an issue with similar oestrogen mimic leached monomers and additives from cheap food packaging, but that is more to do with the quality of manufacture than the plastic itself. Most 99c microwave meals are probably not too great...

PET or PETE (Polyethylene terephthalate) which most (99.9%) drinks bottles today are made of is actually fine, and reusable plastic containers such as baby feed bottles should ideally be made from plain old PE, or preferably well manufactured UHDPE, which they mostly are nowadays.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
On a more serious note....those of you with babies, using the clear plastic AVENT baby bottles might want to track down some glass bottles instead. This issue has been raging for a very long time. We got rid of our polycarbonate baby bottles a few years back because of this.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Its usually only reusable bottles made from PC, so this doesn't really cause a problem for single use containers used for most drinks.
i wish that they would start using pc for bottled water. the amount of energy and materials wasted for that every year disgusts me, let alone the fact that a huge chunk of all of those bottles consumed get put in landfills.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i wish that they would start using pc for bottled water. the amount of energy and materials wasted for that every year disgusts me, let alone the fact that a huge chunk of all of those bottles consumed get put in landfills.
Bottles that are stronger and don't break down as easily are not the answer for single use containers - people will still litter/forget to recycle:crazy: They can make polar fleece from recycled soda bottles/water bottles and recycled plastic is used in numerous products.

Even Nalgene is going phase out their traditional PC products:

Nalgene said:
Nalgene to Phase Out Production of Consumer Bottles Containing BPA

Nalgene to focus on existing non-BPA bottles and recently announced Everyday line; Ensures consumers get the bottle that fits their lifestyle

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (April 18, 2008) – In response to consumer demand, Nalgene® will phase out production of its Outdoor line of polycarbonate containers that include the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) over the next several months, it announced today. Nalgene’s existing product mix, including the recently launched Everyday line, already features a number of containers made from materials that do not contain BPA.

“We have always been focused on responding to the needs and concerns of our customers,” said Steven Silverman, general manager of the Nalgene business. “With 10 different product lines in several different materials, we have the largest bottle offering on the market today. By eliminating containers containing BPA from our consumer product mix, our customers can have confidence that their needs are being met.”

The company recently unveiled its Everyday line, an assortment of bottles manufactured with Eastman’s Tritan™ copolyester. The line includes favorites such as the OTG (“On the Go”), the iconic 32-ounce Wide Mouth and the Grip-N-Gulp sippy cup. Tritan is impact resistant, withstands a wide range of temperatures and does not contain BPA. The new Everyday products are already available in stores and will be available through www.nalgene-outdoor.com next month.

To help consumers easily determine the bottle and material that is right for them, Nalgene also recently launched Nalgene Choice™, an online information resource at www.nalgenechoice.com. Nalgene Choice provides consumers with information to help them understand the features and benefits of Nalgene’s wide assortment of products and materials. The result – individuals can choose the product that is right for them.

“Today, everyone from hikers and outdoor enthusiasts to commuters and kids on the go are using Nalgene products to reduce the use of disposable bottles and containers,” said Silverman. “Based on all available scientific evidence, we continue to believe that Nalgene products containing BPA are safe for their intended use. However, our customers indicated they preferred BPA-free alternatives and we acted in response to those concerns.”

About NALGENE Outdoor
Nalgene Outdoor Products is based in Rochester, New York. Founded in 1949 as a manufacturer of the first plastic pipette holder, the company soon expanded its product line to include state-of-the-art polyethylene labware under the NALGENE brand. By the 1970s, outdoor enthusiasts had discovered the taste and odor-resistant, leakproof and rugged properties of NALGENE’s large selection of plastic containers. In response to this emerging demand, the NALGENE Consumer Products Division was formed. For more information, contact NALGENE Consumer Products or visit our website at www.nalgene-outdoor.com. Nalgene: A Great Choice, made in the USA, Since 1949.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Bottles that are stronger and don't break down as easily are not the answer for single use containers - people will still litter/forget to recycle
i'm saying more for the fact that people are now going to be scared of anything that they drink out of that is made of pc. that and those bastards that only drink bottled water all the time will have hormonal problems as punishment for contributing to so many issues that bottled water can only hurt and not help.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i'm saying more for the fact that people are now going to be scared of anything that they drink out of that is made of pc. that and those bastards that only drink bottled water all the time will have hormonal problems as punishment for contributing to so many issues that bottled water can only hurt and not help.
Bottled water has always been a huge scam.

Water bottlers don't have to meet as stringent regulations as municipal water.

Nalgene already has a range of non-PC products now and coming soon this Spring. They have even a stainless steel product line now and I am sure any other PC bottle company will do the same. I don't think people drinking bottle water are going to change their habits either way...

A range of beverage companies started offering AL bottles for single use about 6 years ago. Al is a better material if you are going to be recycling it:

http://www.cclcontainer.com/