Quantcast

oh no otn did a no no

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
otn has been down what, like 4 times since ever?

matt's server lost a hdd and he has to redo pretty much everything according to news 4 seconds ago. im sure your social life will survive a few days without otn.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i know but the average server reliablity should be in the 99.9% that is according to total time up verses total time down in minutes not day intervals.

i had a good post going that is way i'm being a little antsy

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You guys have some crackhead ideas of what server stability should be like, especially for privately run bike websites :rolleyes:

Here's a hint: what applies to big server sites doesn't necessarily apply to privately run websites that can't afford a couple G's per month for servers.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
binary visions actually i have a pretty good damn how server reliablity should be. for pretty much any server should have atleast a 99.7% reliability no matter the material they are hosting or the cost of hosting the material.

i have be tought in the subject and have looke into servers for personnal reasons

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sir_Crackien said:
binary visions actually i have a pretty good damn how server reliablity should be. for pretty much any server should have atleast a 99.7% reliability no matter the material they are hosting or the cost of hosting the material.

i have be tought in the subject and have looke into servers for personnal reasons
If you had "tought" [SIC] on the subject and "looke" [SIC] into the subject, did it not occur to you that 24 hours (1 day) is 0.273% of a year? Thus, falling right into your estimate of reliability based on what WhiteRaven said?

Do you know how his hosting service works? Does he have a co-located server (which is what it sounds like)? If he does, than his server uptime is his own responsibility and will vary depending on what his own machine is capable of.

So, to sum up: the downtime is NOT unreasonable, and uptime guarantees are based on what a business model can support, not a guarantee of hardware not failing. You may have "tought" this but I've been working in the industry since I was 15. Personal servers, especially of this nature (that is, a personal server serving an entire community of people) go down. Be patient, they will come back. These people have lives and are not hanging around waiting for a call from their hosting company that the server crashed.